PDA

View Full Version : Identify this plant found growing by a small stream in Indiana

rodjshe
02-13-2014, 11:52 AM

MamaBear
02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Looks like a green dragon to me!

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Gardening/diggin-it/2011/0917/Green-dragons-and-fiery-seeds

I don't think they're edible.

Ted
02-16-2014, 02:14 PM
First guess looking at first pic would be "Jack - in - the - Pulpit", Arisaema triphyllum

gryffynklm
02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
I was also thinking Jack in the pulpit.

hunter63
02-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Like wise.....
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack+-+in+-+the+-+Pulpit%22,+Arisaema+triphyllum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KxgBU-WIC6bO2wXX74G4Dg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1093&bih=514

MamaBear
02-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I dunno, I am still leaning towards green dragon. Jack-in-the-pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, has three palmate leaves but green dragon, Arisaema dracontium, has five+ unequal leaflets on a single leaf stem. It looks like from the close up of the leaves that there are more than three leaflets.
Either way, the two plants are related so they are indeed very similar!

Rick
02-17-2014, 10:01 AM
I said that wasn't Jack in my first rendition of this post because of the leaves. But the more I look at those pics the more I'm wondering if the upper and lower pics are two different plants. The upper pic appears to have 3 leaves. In that case I'd have to go with Jack in the Pulpit. But is does look like trillium before the pulpit comes out.

gryffynklm
02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
I agree with MAMA and Rick, Hard to tell.

I'm still hesitant to say with any certainty it's JACK. The photo was not taken with the intention of isolating the plant from surrounding vegetation. It "looks" like the red seed cluster at one time was a vertical stalk that had bent from the weight of the cluster. Jack has a tendency to do that but the bend is not clearly visible. The leaves shown are not straight on so I'm having difficulty identifying three palmate leaves or more. The leaf shape does seem to be more consistent with Green Dragon.

rodjshe

It ultimately your call to look at the suggestions on identifying the plant and making a positive ID. Since you are the one who is in the location and has observed the plant beyond the few photos posted, you are best qualified to answer the question. What do you think? I hope this isn't an ask and run.