PDA

View Full Version : Where would you hide out?

tunick001
04-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Lets say another country has decided to come and invade our country. Like Iraq. Or maybe they wanted to do another 9/11 attack. Where would you hide out at?

Myself, I would go off to another country like Australia.

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I would go off to another country.

Think you'll make it from Cali to another country B4 the missiles hit?

Sam Reeves
04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I would go off to another country.

I think in the event of a nuclear war Atlanta would be target #6 or #7 because big airport, military bases and huge population. I'd probably just stay with my wife's grandmother who lives close to the Georgia/Tennessee line.

I think Los Angels would be target #2 or #3. If you aren't at least 30 or 40 miles from the point of impact I doubt you would have time to do much. Personally I don't see a full scale nuclear attack ever happening.

tunick001
04-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Think you'll make it from Cali to another country B4 the missiles hit?

If I had enough time and knew if it was coming, yeah.

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I think in the event of a nuclear war Atlanta would be target #6 or #7 because big airport, military bases and huge population. I'd probably just stay with my wife's grandmother who lives close to the Georgia/Tennessee line.

I think Los Angels would be target #2 or #3. If you aren't at least 30 or 40 miles from the point of impact I doubt you would have time to do much. Personally I don't see a full scale nuclear attack ever happening.

I don't think they're targeting City's so much as they are Military Bases.

Who cares about the general populace in attacking a country?

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Why Australia, Tunick?

tunick001
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Why Australia, Tunick?

first, i don't know any foriegn languages. second i heard the country and the people there are pretty cool. third it has great weather.

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Australia is a wonderful place. The reason that I asked, was because of the scenario that you described. May be important to remember that Australia has fought side by side with the United States in more conflicts than any other country. They may be targeted for the same attacks that you describe.

beerrunner13
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
And they have lousy gun laws

Tahyo
04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
"W O L V E R I N E S!!!"

Some of ya'll may get that.

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
And they have lousy gun laws

That's the truth. Bet that all changes with a wide scale attack......hypothetically speaking.

BraggSurvivor
04-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Have no fear my dear friends, your future leaders will protect you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/stooges.jpg

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
"W O L V E R I N E S!!!"

"My anger keeps me warm."

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
"W O L V E R I N E S!!!"

Some of ya'll may get that.

"Avenge me son. Avenge me!!!!"

Tahyo
04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Ah... Alpine and Crash are quick on that one. LOL

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/wolverines.jpg

Stretch
04-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Well...after spending 13 months in Iraq I would stay home, act desperate like everyone else, and set up as many IED's as I could when they weren't looking. Raid the local national guard armory and give it hell.

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
When I was up at the Trident Sub Base at Bangor Washington the news made a big deal about the possibility of a strike on the base, since there were nuclear subs and weapons there. They were doing a live shot, talking to some of the locals. I remember one old man - went something like this.

Reporter - If you knew that the Soviets had launched a nuclear attack and the base was one of the targets, what would you do?

Resident - I'm 79 years old. Think I'd go home, make love to my wife and then have a beer.

Reporter - Um, er, back to you in the studio.

Ya gotta love honesty.

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
When I was up at the Trident Sub Base at Bangor Washington the news made a big deal about the possibility of a strike on the base, since there were nuclear subs and weapons there. They were doing a live shot, talking to some of the locals. I remember one old man - went something like this.

Reporter - If you knew that the Soviets had launched a nuclear attack and the base was one of the targets, what would you do?

Resident - I'm 79 years old. Think I'd go home, make love to my wife and then have a beer.

Reporter - Um, er, back to you in the studio.

Ya gotta love honesty.

Best plan I've heard yet in the event of a "nuclear strike".

beerrunner13
04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Good answer but isn't that base in Maine crash?

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Good answer but isn't that base in Maine crash?

Nope. Bangor, Washington. Just outside Bremerton across Puget Sound from Seattle. Beautiful country.

Sam Reeves
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Who cares about the general populace in attacking a country?

Attacking the population is also a strategic move. Atlanta has a young population that could be hold a gun if need be. Granted a lot of them are inter city youth that would probably shot each other but there is alot of active and inactive reserves and ex-military types in the Atlanta area. I would imagine areas such as Houston will be strategic for that reason.

Sam Reeves
04-06-2008, 09:03 PM
If I was going to just bug-out and leave the country I'd probably squat somewhere in Western Canada.

FVR
04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
If I lived, honestly, would probably prepare to continue living. Take stock of what I have, what I need, and how to get what I need. Organize a small group of people and set up a guard watch.

Never been much on running away, kind of a stand and fight guy.

Where would we be today, if all those that gave their lives for this great country, just cut and ran when the going got tough?

Chuck
04-06-2008, 09:24 PM
This is a trick question isn't?:confused:

canid
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
'fire le cigarettes missiles...'

actually, i'm a short trip into the sierra hills from an area with almost no pupulation density and good water supply. i don't foresee a need to head for the hills, but if i ever needed to i've got a couple good routes planned.

beerrunner13
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Attacking the population is also a strategic move. Atlanta has a young population that could be hold a gun if need be. Granted a lot of them are inter city youth that would probably shot each other but there is alot of active and inactive reserves and ex-military types in the Atlanta area. I would imagine areas such as Houston will be strategic for that reason.

Very true Sam I am thinking anywhere near big nuke or power plants,military bases and arms makers are also targets. I think Hartford/New Londen Ct is a first strike target,pretty much all the north east, missle base out westwould be high priority. and then you have to consider the wind drift for the fall out. So where is there to run?

I'm with FVR I fought for this country and even if I had time for the pilgrage to a forigen land I think I would take my chances here.

beerrunner13
04-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Nope. Bangor, Washington. Just outside Bremerton across Puget Sound from Seattle. Beautiful country.

Sorry Crash I was thinking about the one by Bar Harbor

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2008, 10:25 PM
'fire le cigarettes missiles...'

but I am le tired....

crashdive123
04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry Crash I was thinking about the one by Bar Harbor

Both are great. Used to take the ferry out of Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia when I was a kid.

beerrunner13
04-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Is that one in Washington anywhere near San Jaun Island? I had a job offer there a couple years ago and always wondered if I made a mistake turning it down. Tes Bar Harbor isbeautiful I lived in Hancock point for a while many years ago and climbed Cadillac a bunch of times had a friend got married on that mountain.

Sourdough
04-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I think one needs to totally not even consider nuclear attack. Just put it is the same box as fatal car crash, fatal stroke or heart attack. Be better to stick to stuff we have some illusion of control over, like our body weight and physical fitness.

Sam
04-07-2008, 01:30 AM
I grew up in the missile belt (mid-west/south) we just planned to grab a bat and see if we could tag one out of the park. Can not out run a nuke. ;)

Sourdough
04-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Can't outrun death...................Period

Sam
04-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Can't outrun death...................Period

I am trying a fast walk, the running just makes you tired. ;) You stop running to catch your wind, and bam death is on you.:eek::D Maybe I just not the wanna live forever type, I have already out lived my wife and two girls. Most of my service friends are gone and I don't have family left. Who am I waiting around for? I ain't looking to get of the merry go round or anything. I just don't worry about it.

crashdive123
04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Is that one in Washington anywhere near San Jaun Island? I had a job offer there a couple years ago and always wondered if I made a mistake turning it down. Tes Bar Harbor isbeautiful I lived in Hancock point for a while many years ago and climbed Cadillac a bunch of times had a friend got married on that mountain.

We used to go sailing every year in the Straights of Juan De Fuca (between US and Canada). The San Juan Islands are beautiful. Here's where the two are in relation to each other. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Oops. that didn't work. On google maps type in Bangor, Washington and the San Juan Islands, Washington to see the relationship if you're interested.

spud
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I thought the Seattle area was high on a nuke strike list? Plus with it's huge over population I think you are nuts to believe you will be left alone by the millions there.
Those thinking of the high ground of the Sierras or Canada will just die when winter comes...just die.
Going to far back in time to remote areas will kill you when your fuel and water run out...and they will sooner than you think if you are taking them with you on your escape... unless you are driving a fuel tanker truck?
Prepositioning supplies in a safe location being watched 24/7 so that they are there and ready to use I believe is much more wise. It lets you travel light and quick if needed and you end up in a place you have prepared. Not low in flood zones, not to high in snow and ice cold consuming all your heat, not to near high population centers but close enough to make the last "costco" run. Plenty of pure deep water, fuel depos, generators, some solar, defensive positions if needed (hope not), food for years pre-stationed, good living quarters, team work, gardens, communications, back up people to cover for the hurt or sick (could be you), medical supplies (good stuff), diverse skills among the group and the peace of mind knowing that there are several watching the perimeter while you sleep/bath and go potty.
Now for us that is first class, even has a poker table, billards and a hot tub... with a great view to shoot from. Life is good and can be if/when the SHTF... one does not need to live like a rat in a rat hole at all. But thank goodness this is a free country and you can if you want to.

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I thought the Seattle area was high on a nuke strike list? Plus with it's huge over population I think you are nuts to believe you will be left alone by the millions there.
Those thinking of the high ground of the Sierras or Canada will just die when winter comes...just die.
Going to far back in time to remote areas will kill you when your fuel and water run out...and they will sooner than you think if you are taking them with you on your escape... unless you are driving a fuel tanker truck?
Prepositioning supplies in a safe location being watched 24/7 so that they are there and ready to use I believe is much more wise. It lets you travel light and quick if needed and you end up in a place you have prepared. Not low in flood zones, not to high in snow and ice cold consuming all your heat, not to near high population centers but close enough to make the last "costco" run. Plenty of pure deep water, fuel depos, generators, some solar, defensive positions if needed (hope not), food for years pre-stationed, good living quarters, team work, gardens, communications, back up people to cover for the hurt or sick (could be you), medical supplies (good stuff), diverse skills among the group and the peace of mind knowing that there are several watching the perimeter while you sleep/bath and go potty.
Now for us that is first class, even has a poker table, billards and a hot tub... with a great view to shoot from. Life is good and can be if/when the SHTF... one does not need to live like a rat in a rat hole at all. But thank goodness this is a free country and you can if you want to.

HEY! MY STEAM TUNNEL DOES NOT HAVE RATS! *sniff* I use d-con.

nell67
04-15-2008, 02:35 AM
HEY! MY STEAM TUNNEL DOES NOT HAVE RATS! *sniff* I use d-con.

Your tunnel doesn't have rats, but Idaho does....

Rick
04-15-2008, 07:23 AM

Probably true but targeting population centers has a strategic demoralizing affect. We used it prolifically against Germany and Japan. In that case incendiaries. Folks deplore the use of atomic weapons during the second world war and don't realize that fire bombings killed far more that both the A bombs put together.

Dresden, Germany - For this city along, estimates range as high as 300,000
For both atomic bombs, estimates are about 210,000
(city records were destroyed so the actual population numbers were unknown. Only estimates could be made).

A total of 58 Japanese cities were firebombed.

As for what I'd do, that depends on the circumstances and the timing.

Ole WV Coot
04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Nothing to bomb around here and the cannons at the courthouse are still pointed north. As far as hiding I am there. Our problem would be blowing a few bridges, probably would take a couple of hrs to get that done. Most everyone I know can hold their own with all the goodies Uncle Sam has provided us with at the armory. What we have at home will do. With the hills and all we really don't worry about it. If our own government leaves us alone I guess everyone else will also.

Rick
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Shoot - Coot, just offer them some of the bad shine, they'll go blind and leave you alone. Nothing has to be destroyed, no good guys get hurt. Fool proof....or 100 proof, whichever.

(Scarlett): I do declare, Rett Butler, why on earth would you ever wanta leave the south and travel no'thward to that desolate state of Idaho for? They ain't nothin' there 'cept wild men and savages.

(Rett): They say there's nuts there, Scarlett. Have you looked 'round lately? The foods dwindlin' and those nuts would be mighty tasty come winter.

(Scarlett): You'll die, Brett. Just die.

(Rhett): Nonsense, Scarlett. I've survived far worse that wild men and savages. Why, once, during the war, I ate a wild mushroom.

(Scarlett): (GASP!) (Fanning herself rapidly) I do declare, Brett, I hear tell they have survivalists and bunkers there.

(Brett): (Looks toward sunset then back at Scarlett) Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a da*n!

spud
04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
We all have some ideas on what we all might do, right? To each his own. For some of us in our group, well we simply all pretty much think the same, thus a group. We preposition, plan and prepare. If nothing ever happens as we hope, so what. Life goes on as normal and everything around us here looks normal. We don't walk around in campo all day and look like some survival nuts.
Are we planning for an armored vehicle attack? No. Why? Because we have done nothing wrong to cause such a far fetched thing to happen. Next there are no such things around here. Next are intentions are to lay low and appear no one is here, thus.... we are not flying flags walking around in the open, making noise all day and night, etc. If an over whelming force for some reason comes down our remote old unplowed dirt road... we might entertain a pac with them. Thus no one needs to die on either side. Then again I guess we all could get "carpet bombed" by a bunch of aircraft ten miles high? Oh well.... don't lose sleep over that.
Our group simply plans to out last the few remote neighbors way out here. Watch their tail lights fade over the horizon as they leave, running out of food and resources within a couple weeks. Then we are on our own. No one out here has planned for a thing more than a week or so. Later we will see how things pan out. In the mean time we are very well fed, warm and cozy, well rested (under the stressful circumstances) and adjusting as we go. We are not survivalists...we are preparedness folks. Good luck on your bug out plans, we are hanging tight. But then again we chose to live where we would bug out to, in the first place. To each his/her own....

Rick
04-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Who's bug out plans? The last little run we did on that everyone was buggin in. Good luck on your hanging tight plans, we're buggin' in. I guess we chose to bug out where we live, too.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1538&highlight=bugging

Assassin Pilot
04-15-2008, 07:52 PM
but I am le tired....

Fine have a nap.... THEN FIRE ZE MISSILES! :rolleyes:

Stony
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
we would go to Canada and watch everything on tv.
the country north of the 49th is safe from most harm that will befall the us and a.
having universal medicare, pharamcare, socal security, unemployment insurace,
gun control,
enough energy and water to export, more than enough food and only 10% of the population of down here.
off we go....

Alpine_Sapper
04-18-2008, 09:12 PM
we would go to Canada and watch everything on tv.
the country north of the 49th is safe from most harm that will befall the us and a.
having universal medicare, pharamcare, socal security, unemployment insurace,
gun control,
enough energy and water to export, more than enough food and only 10% of the population of down here.
off we go....

What makes you think Canada won't be a target too?

klkak
04-18-2008, 10:16 PM
After reading all these posts a song just came to mind. "Trigger Happy" by Weird Al. "I gotta be ready incase the Commie's attack us tonite" la la la la

Alpine_Sapper
04-18-2008, 10:39 PM
After reading all these posts a song just came to mind. "Trigger Happy" by Weird Al. "I gotta be ready incase the Commie's attack us tonite" la la la la

I would love to comment on this, but, it would definitely turn into a political conversation regarding the end of the cold war and the war on terror, and how the threat's have changed, etc. etc. So

Sourdough
04-18-2008, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=Stony;and only 10% of the population of down here.
off we go....[/QUOTE]

Yea, But they got 100% of the the Bragg's and TRAX'S.:p

Ridge Wolf
04-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Lets say another country has decided to come and invade our country. Like Iraq. Or maybe they wanted to do another 9/11 attack. Where would you hide out at?

These colors don't run..

Sourdough
04-19-2008, 12:11 AM

Maybe I would hide at: The GREAT ALASKA BUSH Co.:) (Google that)

dilligaf2u2
04-19-2008, 06:13 AM
You would find me at Hooters, ordering the biggest steak they offered!

Now if TDW and TGF were with me! I guess it would be steaks at home.

Don

Rick
04-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Just a word of advice to Canadians everywhere. If the old SHTF stall for a couple of days, then head south. What you'll wind up with is ownership of the U.S. and hardly any population. You'll have to pay for health care but it's some of the best.

If you stay in Canada what you'll wind up with is exactly what you already have jammed with the population of the US. Do you really want that? I mean look what we've done down here for cryin' out loud.

hoosierarcher
04-19-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll take cover in the Hoosier National Forest. As a former Marine sniper I'll make their lives as inconvinient as I can with my trusty .338 Lepua.

Rick
04-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Careful, now. Nell and I have been known to walk those woods.....not together of course.

Ridge Wolf
04-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Shoot - Coot, just offer them some of the bad shine, they'll go blind and leave you alone. Nothing has to be destroyed, no good guys get hurt. Fool proof....or 100 proof, whichever.

(Scarlett): I do declare, Rett Butler, why on earth would you ever wanta leave the south and travel no'thward to that desolate state of Idaho for? They ain't nothin' there 'cept wild men and savages.

(Rett): They say there's nuts there, Scarlett. Have you looked 'round lately? The foods dwindlin' and those nuts would be mighty tasty come winter.

(Scarlett): You'll die, Brett. Just die.

(Rhett): Nonsense, Scarlett. I've survived far worse that wild men and savages. Why, once, during the war, I ate a wild mushroom.

(Scarlett): (GASP!) (Fanning herself rapidly) I do declare, Brett, I hear tell they have survivalists and bunkers there.

(Brett): (Looks toward sunset then back at Scarlett) Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a da*n!

ROFLMAO!! You missed your calling Rick... :D