PDA

View Full Version : How to make water proof matches.

Sam Reeves
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
This hardly deserves it's own thread nothing but ruins to day worse than a Bic that will not work and wet matches. I've found that if you take a lit candle and drip wax over the match you then have a water proof match until the point of use so you don't have to worry about wet hands soaking the match.

crashdive123
04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
That should work. I prefer to melt wax (either in a double boiler set up or in the microwave) and I drop in the entire match and then pull them out with needle nose pliers and set on foil to dry. This way if the stick part of the match gets wet, it won't soak up to the head (I've never had that happen when I used to just dip the heads, but I figure why take a chance. Besides it'll burn longer).

Hey Sam Reeves - how about lighting your way over to the introduction section to tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Sam Reeves
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
That should work. I prefer to melt wax (either in a double boiler set up or in the microwave) and I drop in the entire match and then pull them out with needle nose pliers and set on foil to dry. This way if the stick part of the match gets wet, it won't soak up to the head (I've never had that happen when I used to just dip the heads, but I figure why take a chance. Besides it'll burn longer).

Now that's a good idea.

hidingpool
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Here in south FL I've had better luck with clear nail polish [OK I once used my daughters metallic blue]. With our heat the wax seems to make the heads crumble. POOL

Stony
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
no melted wax for me;
a small zip-lock bag does the trick.
2 lighters are a no-brainer (one in the pocket, one in the zip-lock).

hidingpool
04-13-2008, 11:11 PM
And of course flint and steel don't mind the weather [if you've got the tinder]. POOL

klkak
04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
I only use a fire steel. It doesent care what the weather is like. It always works. So far I have never not been able to start a fire when I needed one. ((So far))

Arkansas_Ranger
04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I've always wondered how one strikes a waxy match? Do you simply strike as normal? Also, where are you finding strike anywhere matches if you still use them? I haven't seen them in years. Thank you, meth-heads.

Tony uk
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
The strike anywhere one are more easy when your trying to light matched diped in wax, If you dont have any then scrapeing the wax off the head before you go to strike it should work. Hope this helps :)

Rick
04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Arkansas - Strike Anywhere are just hard to find. You can read through this thread about them:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1549&highlight=strike+anywhere+matches

hoosierarcher
04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Here is an alround readiness website that has Diamond strike anywhere matches. They don't have the best prices but they aren't bad, just not discount shopping.
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront
They actually have a slightly low side of average price for MRE cases.

DOGMAN
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
We used to pour a bunch of hot candle wax into a shot gun shell, then dip the heads of a bunch of Ohio Blue tips into it and lay them out on a cookie sheet to cure. That worked like a charm. I havent done that since I was a kid though. Now, I just keep 3 different fire starter implements around, and I know how to do a bow drill. So, I havent had any troubles in a long time.

Runs With Beer
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I made some strike anywhere matches like you said about a year ago, Not a single one will light now. Id have to agree with KlKAK flint and steel has never let me down no mater what the weather.

crashdive123
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I made some strike anywhere matches like you said about a year ago, Not a single one will light now. Id have to agree with KlKAK flint and steel has never let me down no mater what the weather.

The trick when using wax is to scrape the wax off the head before you strike it. Go ahead and try that - I think you'll like the results.

Gray Wolf
10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
And if you wrap twine around the match before dipping, it will give you a much longer and brighter burn.

Sourdough
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Real men use highway flares, two 30 min. flares and you don't need no stinking wood. And for survival knife warriors, never bring a knife to a lit highway flare fight...:eek:

crashdive123
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Real men use highway flares, two 30 min. flares and you don't need no stinking wood. And for survival knife warriors, never bring a knife to a lit highway flare fight...:eek:

Hold on just a minute there mister. A real man would carry the burning ember that he has protected for the last eleven years, carrying it from cave to cave, across the thousands of miles of wilderness. Only whimps carry road flares. Where's you're spirit man!;)

Runs With Beer
10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Crash, You were absolutely right.Learn something new every day.

crashdive123
10-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Glad to help.

Rick
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Now that there is funny I ....you know the rest.

Sourdough
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Hold on just a minute there mister. A real man would carry the burning ember that he has protected for the last eleven years, carrying it from cave to cave, across the thousands of miles of wilderness. Only whimps carry road flares. Where's you're spirit man!;)

I have seen the light, modern equipment GOOD.......:p

SARKY
10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I've actually done away with matches in my kit. Never mind getting wet, if they get damp they fall apart. So what I've done is mix some petrolium jelly with cotton balls and stuff this into my match container. If I need a match, I get a twig (make sure it has a jagged end) stick it into the container, give it a couple of twirls, pull it out and use my flint and steel to light it. It will light and stay lit even in the rain.

Gray Wolf
10-09-2008, 01:37 AM
I've actually done away with matches in my kit. Never mind getting wet, if they get damp they fall apart. So what I've done is mix some petrolium jelly with cotton balls and stuff this into my match container. If I need a match, I get a twig (make sure it has a jagged end) stick it into the container, give it a couple of twirls, pull it out and use my flint and steel to light it. It will light and stay lit even in the rain.

Sarky, here's a thread with lots of fire making information.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1408

If you use the search function, you'll find even more info on this topic.

Pict
10-09-2008, 03:59 AM
I once made up a batch of "Jungle matches" which are your standard strike anywhere match waterproofed with nail polish. The added part is a thin strip of inner tube rubber glued to the side along its entire length. Strike the match and hold so the rubber catches fire. They work well but are kind of bulky. Mac

Last Mohican
10-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I find that polyurethane works the best. IMHO.

S.E.R.E Guy
10-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Good ol' metal match and some pitch shavings will light in any type of weather guranteed!