PDA

View Full Version : Cost of survial kits.

mbarnatl
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I was just wondering how much money do you spend on buying or making items for your survival kit? Where do you tend to buy these items? Garage sales, internet, specialty stores, department stores, etc. Do you have a budget set aside or do you just spend whatever it cost when you find an item? Do you tear apart other kits or just replace one item at a time? Or do you create a complete new kit?

beerrunner13
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
My kits are a work in progress I change them with the seasons or when I go someplace diffrent. They are made up from a lot of places,yard sale,flea markets , some store bought and a lot of tradeing and bartering.

Sourdough
04-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I do not own a survival Kit, in the classic "Kit concept". I have stuff. Some of which I use a lot, and some of which I almost never use.

Most people get so involved with the perfect: Survival Kit, Survival Gun, Etc. that they never or rarely go for a hike. There whole life is about the perfect gear.

My advise is do "Outdoor Stuff", You will figure out what you need, as you do more and more. You are not going to start with your first outing being a three month hike across Alaska and B.C.

I hike about 2,000 miles a year (mostly everyday hikes of 5 to 8 miles) in Alaska and never have a survival kit. I might grab spare socks, stick a bic lighter in one pocket, some butt'wipe in a ziplock, grab a walk a'bout gun and take off.

I am not apposed to Survival Kits, But some people spend all time photographing, and bragging about, and shopping for, there survival kits.

Take a hike, the kit will happen magically.............:rolleyes:

BraggSurvivor
04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Good post hopeak.

Tahyo
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I second that hopeak.

You have to base your kit(s) on it's potential use.

1.) My whole house and it's contents are a potential survival kit.

2.) Both vehicles have common sense emergency kits.

3.) My backpacking/hiking survival kit or items is just a smaller bag that goes into my larger backpack. It's self built and I can't think of improving on it anymore.

Ole WV Coot
04-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Just take what you think you'll need for the place, weather etc. and when you get back check what you needed and what you could do without. After what you consider the basics forget everything else and get what you need wherever it's the cheapest. Buy a decent full tang knife, if in doubt buy an Old Hickory in the kitchen section and make a sheath for it.

crashdive123
04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Everything I own is part of my survival kit. I draw from that stuff (to borrow Hopeak's line) for what I need in a given situation. Yes, I have BOB's. But I also have supplies in case of an extended bug in. Can't really put a price on it, because it's everything. Food stores, fuel, weapons, ammunition, sharp things, sheltering things, cooking things, etc., etc. As an example - I cook on a stove, but have a gas grill, 2-burner propane stove, dual fuel single burner stove, sterno stoves, esbit stoves, hobo stoves, home made alcohol stoves (it's always nice to have a back-up). Some stuff I make, alot of ideas I get right here on this forum. Internet, yard sales, flea markets, Wally world - everything is fair game. I like a bargin when I can find one.

mbarnatl
04-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Everything I own is part of my survival kit. I draw from that stuff (to borrow Hopeak's line) for what I need in a given situation. Yes, I have BOB's. But I also have supplies in case of an extended bug in. Can't really put a price on it, because it's everything. Food stores, fuel, weapons, ammunition, sharp things, sheltering things, cooking things, etc., etc. As an example - I cook on a stove, but have a gas grill, 2-burner propane stove, dual fuel single burner stove, sterno stoves, esbit stoves, hobo stoves, home made alcohol stoves (it's always nice to have a back-up). Some stuff I make, alot of ideas I get right here on this forum. Internet, yard sales, flea markets, Wally world - everything is fair game. I like a bargin when I can find one.

I agree with you, I do the same. I use the same camping equipment I used for years. Recently, I got some new items because of the older ones are just wore out. The reason I asked the question was that I talked to this guy the other day and he spent over $300 for a BOB kit. He has several guns and knives. This guy must have a couple thousand dollars worth of survival equipment and he hasn't used any of it since he got it in 1999. He is not the first person I met that kind of went overboard.

dilligaf2u2
04-06-2008, 01:07 AM
BeeRunner13 (Joe) I hope you did not mess with the kit I sent Liz! I hope you have shown her how to use everything in it!

I carry most of what I need on me. Things like space blankets and such I have in the Bob and in the pack. The cars each have 72 hour kits in # 10 cans in them.

Don

dilligaf2u2
04-06-2008, 01:12 AM
I want to add.

I spend what I need. I feel if I need it for survival and it saves a life(Mine) then I did not pay too much. I would hate to think a few $ cost me something I would have trouble replacing(My life).

I do look for deals. But I buy the best.

Don

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2008, 12:41 PM
This guy must have a couple thousand dollars worth of survival equipment and he hasn't used any of it since he got it in 1999. He is not the first person I met that kind of went overboard.

There's armchair survivalists everywhere. I know guys with arsenals well over $10,000 just for the weapons, not to mention the ammo they have stockpiled. Only one of them actually goes out and hits the range. In a draw down situation, I'd be a lot less scared of the guy with a closet full of weapons he's never fired than the guy with the one bolt action he got at a pawn shop but fires every chance he gets. It's all in "being prepared". *shrug* It's your butt on the line when it comes down to it. If you don't know how to use what's in your kit it's going to fail you. And as has been said many many times on this forum, you can read all day long in books and the web how to do this stuff, but it requires practical experience with your gear to learn how it REALLY works.

dilligaf2u2
04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Nicely said Alpine_Sapper

I'll omly add : No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Don

beerrunner13
04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Don I have not messed with Liz's kit , it is intact but has ben used some. I get her to practice makeing fires in the back yard, knows how to make a shelter and is learning navigation. That is a good well thought out kit by the way. Oh yeah byt the way the knife you sent me is on the gun belt with my SA .45 LC

Tony uk
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
The kits i like to use dont cost much. I dont like buying premade ones (I like premade first aid ones though) so what i put in mine effects the cost

klkak
04-10-2008, 03:45 PM
In my survival class I teach 2 points that I feel are very important concerning survival kits. 1. If you dont know how to use it, It is useless. 2. If you cant reach it, its useless. So, whatever you take with you make sure you know how to use it and have it on your person. Not in the pack that just went down river with the canoe.

JRJ
04-11-2008, 03:46 AM
What I like to do is carry stuff on me I use. I know that go's against the whole idea of a survival kit but it works for me.

For instance, When I take my bush knife with me, when I go to the range or out hunting with a weapon I always carry a personal first aid kit.

I carry a fire steel and a compass around my neck when I'm out in the woods and usually a lighter in my pocket.

I carry a arc-aaa flashlight everywhere because it's so small.

I always dress for the weather.

That is my survival kit. I have thought about adding an emergency blanket, a poncho, a water filter straw and one of those multi-tools but I have just never really needed anything like that. On a few occasions Ive pulled out my flashlight to check my compass, sometimes I'll get the feeling I'm turned around, usually around dusk. The first aid kit - That's something that I just do when I have a gun or a big blade.

-JRJ

Rick
04-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I think Alpine and Klkak both did a nice job. Good posts and great advice. My kits are layered. I have those things I carry every day. I add a bit to that as I go out for a day trip just horsing around with the grandkids or mushroom hunting or whatever. I add a bit more to that if it's an overnight and a even a bit more if it's more than a couple of days. With everything, it all fits in my pocket and in a small fanny pack that can be added to my pack.
I try to cover the basics and first aid.