PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Bonnet Jam

Alpine_Sapper
04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Goes great on grilled fish or chicken, but it never met a piece of meat it didn't complete. :D

1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2 dice
1/2 -1 Scotch Bonnet, seeded and minced (I leave the seeds in, sometimes us 2+)
1 cup sugar
1 tblsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. coarse salt (kosher/sea)
1 strip lemon zest (2 x 1/2 inch)
SUBSTITUTION: You can use Habanero's instead of Scotch bonnets

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until the peppers have released their juices and are translucent and the cooking liquid is thick and syrupy, about 15 minutes. If the syrup gets to thick add a few drops of water. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and coarsely puree. Transfer to a large jar and refrigerate. Jam will keep for several months.

NOTE: It ALWAYS takes me longer than 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it, or it will turn into scotch bonnet candy if you cook it too long. And I use a blender instead of food processor.

This recipe is easy to make and easier to customize. Yellow or Green peppers for color, different chili's for flavor,etc. I wouldn't suggest using Poblano's, as the batch I made didn't turn out so well, but if you REALLY like Poblanos it will work.

BraggSurvivor
04-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Ahh Sapper, good stuff man. Havent made it for awhile, that's soon gonna change.

Tony uk
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Mmmmmmmm Thanks Alpine :D