PDA

View Full Version : This weekends project.

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I'll admit it is not a total success as of yet. As most of you know, I haul our water into a 55 gallon water barrel that is in my kitchen. We use 5 gallon jugs. We fill them up at the bulk water station in town we have due to our high population of water less cabins. Since I homeschool my son (6' man child) he is on his own schedule and is often asleep by the time I get home from work so is not available to haul the water in for me (up steep steps). If I left it out there, it would be frozen blocks of ice which taste terrible by the time they thaw out. I've been thinking about buying a pump to pump the water from the back of the suv into the house.

This weekend I bought a pump and hoses ect. to do so. One issue we have is very limited space. We can't store the pump and hoses outside as it is too cold. So I bought a small 1/12 hp pump and one of those hoses that curl up (50'). The sales man assured me that it should be strong enough to pump the 20' or so up to the house. I made sure to tell him it was a steep incline so the pump would have to pump the water UP. I'm afraid he may have been full of bullarky.

Since it was -40 or colder last night I just brought the jugs in as I didn't want to stand out there to test it out the first time. The first obstacle was that curly hose (inlet) of course was curled up so it wouldn't go into the 5 gallon jugs all the way to the bottom. Ok, so I duct taped the end to a stake to stick in the jugs. Then had to prime the curly 50' hose with water. Even though it was all right there in the kitchen, it was still a very slow job. My thought is to get a bigger tank for the back of the SUV so I wont have to mess with the 5 gallon jugs but I haven't gotten one yet. Dealing with the 5 gallon jugs with the pump is not worth it. I really hope it is if I go with a bigger tank.

Oh and reading the info that came in the pump, it says to make sure the curves in the hose you are using are straightened out. ARG!

Rick
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm not certain what hose you are talking about but if it's the one you see on TV then the problem is probably with the hose. Since you are using it to insert it into the 5 gallon water jug I'm guessing you are using it to transfer the water to the pump, which is in the house? That hose is designed to work under pressure not vacuum. Water pressure causes it to expand. I would think a vacuum would close it smaller than what it is and it can't have much of a diameter when not in use. Can you try the pump down at the car and another type of hose between the pump and the 5 gallon jug?

Remember, too, that most hoses are NOT to be used with potable water. They are not food grade. Many are made with recycled materials that are carcinogenic.

Is this the kind you are referring to?

http://asseenontvmarket.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/xhose-expandable-garden-hose.jpg (http://asseenontvmarket.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/xhose-expandable-garden-hose.jpg)

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
No, it's this one.
https://www.growerssupply.com/wcsstore/EngineeringServices/allbizunits/prodimages/large/103284a.jpg

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Since you are using it to insert it into the 5 gallon water jug I'm guessing you are using it to transfer the water to the pump, which is in the house?

Yes.

Can you try the pump down at the car and another type of hose between the pump and the 5 gallon jug?

No, I want the pump stationary in the house so I can plug it in right there on the counter. I was considering screwing it to the wall to get it off the counter.

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 03:01 PM
I back in to the steps when unloading water.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1385125_10153345482480697_519281625_n.jpg

Here is where I was considering screwing the pump to the wall.

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561800_10152014349215697_516338378_n.jpg

crashdive123
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Good luck with the project.

On the thawed water tasting bad........try oxygenating it by pouring it into smaller (1 gallon) containers and shaking them. Putting air into the water will eliminate the "stale" taste.

You can then make a series of videos like those work out types - P90 X etc. - and get rich. Call it the Alaskan Super Fitness Workout. Have a bunch of people shaking their gallon jugs to get in shape. Have a bunch of before and after stories. Make a 30 minute infomercial. You'll be rich before you know it.

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Lol Crash. The Dry Cabin Workout! You know, I could add it to the book I'm writing. But I can't decide whether to name it after my blog, "Alaska, the Madness" or to name it the also very appropriate "My Outhouse Has Wifi".

RandyRhoads
01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I want your house.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua1FAlHt_Ys

Rick
01-13-2014, 05:30 PM
I just meant for a test. That way you are putting pressure on the hose instead of vacuum and it should tell you if the hose is the problem. My hunch is the water will flow much easier and quicker by putting the hose under pressure since you will be expanding the inner membrane at least somewhat.

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Oh ok, I see what you mean now. I do think the curly hose is a problem and it would work much better with a straight hose. But I'm going to try it out with a bigger tank in the suv first. I could do a regular hose in the summer but in the winter, having to bring it inside to store it, would be a pain.

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I want your house.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua1FAlHt_Ys

Hahhaha that is sooo funny. I like spaghetti...

pete lynch
01-13-2014, 05:53 PM
I see 1stimestar also has a smaller cabin for that other stuff.

1stimestar
01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Why yes, yes I do. A two story one at that.

RandyRhoads
01-13-2014, 07:39 PM
I been pissin ova here , pissin ova there... Haha. Story of my search for a house with a girlfriend that didnt share m same desires...

pete lynch
01-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Why yes, yes I do. A two story one at that.

Just avoid the 1st floor while the 2nd floor is occupied. :)

Grizz123
01-14-2014, 02:15 PM
I own a power washing business, maybe I can help with your pump needs.

First of all, pumps are designed to push water farther than they can suck it in. In other words, the intake hose is usually 12' or less (less is better/easier on the pump) and push about as long as the hose is. The hoses for my electric pumps reach over 300' and still spray 30'+ into the air while using a 1/2" dia. hose. They are rated for 9 GPM but I never checked to see how accurate that is.

For your situation I would suggest getting a small dolly and mount a 12v trolling battery on the bottom and you will have enough room to mount the pump just above the battery. This will also give you enough room for a 12' (or less) supply hose and ~60' of hose on the other side. From looking at your pics I think 60' should be enough but you can always go longer since I use 300'. Keep the pump rig in a room that will not freeze and roll it out when you need to use it.

I'm not to sure about posting links but if you want to PM me I can give you the web site, name and number of my supplier who may have better ideas than me.

crashdive123
01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
You can post a link to the site as long as it isn't yours.

1stimestar
01-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Thank you Grizz. Of course, all that does make sense and the dolly is a good idea. Someone already instructed me through pm that the pump needs to be at the other end of the contraption (darn) but here in lies the problem. There is no room for any type of dolly with battery inside. It can't be kept outside as it will freeze. I am thinking I may just have to use this set up in the summer. This is just a temporary rental while I save up for my own little cabin in the woods. If it were mine, I would have a work shed, pump room or something for just this type of situation. Approximately how much power will I lose running the pump from a heavy duty extension cord?

Gosh I love this forum. Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

Grizz123
01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
You can post a link to the site as long as it isn't yours.

This is a link to a power washing board/store (http://www.ptstate.com/forums/search.php?searchid=121482) You can call and talk to Bob or play around on the board and ask questions. My handle over there is "JC"

Grizz123
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Approximately how much power will I lose running the pump from a heavy duty extension cord?

Gosh I love this forum. Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

You can't run the pumps I am talking about with A/C current (house hold 110 v), it needs to be D/C (12v marine battery). I'm sure you could find one that works with A/C

If your talking about hooking the extension cord to the battery thats a different story and I don't know the answer. I keep all my electrical lines as short as possible, less than 12".

Grizz123
01-14-2014, 04:59 PM
I just thought of something. If you have a trailer hitch with electrical connections you can jerry rig the wiring (go to an auto store or RV store or someplace that specializes in trailer hook-ups) to work the pump out of the back of your vehicle.

crashdive123
01-14-2014, 07:31 PM
1st - not a solution for when you get a bigger tank, but if the issue is the weight and hauling up the stairs ---- pour some into a smaller container to lighten the load.

Batch
01-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I just thought of something. If you have a trailer hitch with electrical connections you can jerry rig the wiring (go to an auto store or RV store or someplace that specializes in trailer hook-ups) to work the pump out of the back of your vehicle.

What is the draw of the pump? Might not be a large enough conductor to support the pump.

Though it wouldn't be that hard to run a dedicated power cord out. You might even find a place to install the pump on the truck.

1stimestar
01-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Crash, I end up filling all my jugs half full and just stopping on my way home for water more often. It's worth a trip to the chiropractor.

Grizz, I can't keep the pump in the back as it would freeze.

Batch, I already have a heavy duty arctic cord run out there to plug in the truck when it's cold. It runs a block heater, a battery blanket, and a transmission fluid heater so I am pretty sure it can run the pump to it's fullest. I think. The pump box says 350 gph but I don't know what that means. Does that help?

1stimestar
01-15-2014, 01:28 AM
This is a link to a power washing board/store (http://www.ptstate.com/forums/search.php?searchid=121482) You can call and talk to Bob or play around on the board and ask questions. My handle over there is "JC"

Thanks. I'll check them out.

You can't run the pumps I am talking about with A/C current (house hold 110 v), it needs to be D/C (12v marine battery). I'm sure you could find one that works with A/C

If your talking about hooking the extension cord to the battery thats a different story and I don't know the answer. I keep all my electrical lines as short as possible, less than 12".

Yea I want one that works on household electric only. I am not interested in messing with batteries as that is just as much hassle and space taken as hauling it as I have been.

crashdive123
01-15-2014, 08:31 AM
The pump box says 350 gph but I don't know what that means. Does that help?

350 gallons per hour.

Grizz123
01-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Grizz, I can't keep the pump in the back as it would freeze.

The pump is small probably less than 3 lbs so its easy to move inside and out when you need it. I have this hard wired on my work truck but it is just as easy to use a regular 7 pin plug you use when towing a vehicle.

You will take the pump inside when not in use so it wont freeze - one problem solved

Attach a 7 pin plug on your pump so that it will connect to your 7 pin connector on your truck. A business specializing in vehicle wiring will know how to do this so that the pump will not be on unless the vehicle is on. Its very simple, I did it on two vehicles. - second problem (power supply) solved

For the water in/out on the pump you will want to have about a 12" section of hose with regular male/female garden hose connectors. I use two different lengths so I can quickly ID which hose is "in" and which is "out". After you put the pump in the truck you will screw the intake hose to your pump and stick it in your 5 gal jug. Next connect the "out" hose to the hose running up to your tank. Plug in the 7 pin connector, start the truck and it will start pumping water.

When your done, just disconnect and unplug everything and bring the pump inside. The hoses should be fine outside as long as they are drained.

FWIW, it took longer to type this than it would take to hook everything up and start pumping.

1stimestar
01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
350 gallons per hour.

Hahhahha duuhh! Thanks.

Winnie
01-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Can you not install a little gate and winch on the veranda then back the car up to it and winch them direct from the car?

sofasurfer
01-18-2014, 05:35 AM
How about an rv water tank pump http://www.campingworld.com/category/fresh-water-pumps/137 then run hose from house to driveway. Mount the hose permanently to the deck and leave enough hanging loose so you just park near it and grab the end and stick it in the jug.
Or you could have the kid get out of bed and carry the jugs.