PDA

View Full Version : Lost a big piece of local food chain last week

LowKey
01-03-2014, 09:47 AM
A local slaughterhouse and meat market burned down last week. This may not sound like a big deal to many, but it was one of only two in the state and provided not only jobs for 20 people, but also fresh meats for many local customers and commercial operations. Lots of scrambling going on by businesses to find new sources.
They have an 80 acre farm as well. You could get local grown animals slaughtered there, small farmers and 4H relied on them, and you could buy fresh seasonal meats off the hook.
They also had the most amazing thick cut slab bacon!
I'm hoping the owner decides to rebuild. Sounds like he will. 90 years old. Gotta love him.
http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_24821696/groton-farm-is-their-blood-fifth-generation-owner

cowgirlup
01-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I read about that. I'm glad to hear they are rebuilding. There is a huge market for that type of service and it seems that demand is growing.

LowKey
01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Seems like more people would do well to take it up. The licensing and all that comes with the USDA stamp can be a nightmare though.
I believe the one other facility is Arena & Son down in Hopkinton but even they are in constant legal battles with the neighbors down there. That little town got too 'gentrified' to have a *gasp* slaughterhouse in its midst, even though they've been there since 1928.
It's hard cold bloody work. If I were 30 years younger today though, and seeing the demand, I think I'd seriously consider it.

cowgirlup
01-05-2014, 05:04 AM
There are several smaller scale places like that just up and over the boarder in NH. It is messy and hard work. Few people actually appreciate what it takes to get that steak on their plate.

finallyME
01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Pshhh, steak always comes in cellophane! All the butcher has to do is go to the back freezer and pull out more packages...

I hope they rebuild too.