PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Substitutions

Rick
04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
For those of you that homestead or just live a long way from the nearest 711 you know what a pain it can be to run out of something right in the middle of baking your favorite whatever. Here are some quick substitutions that can get you through until you can get to the store or until spring comes, whichever is first.

Baking Powder
To replace 1 teaspoon baking powder, use 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.

Honey
For 1 cup of honey, use 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid. You could also try using 3/4 cup corn syrup plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Molasses can be used in equal measure as a honey substitute, but it will affect the flavor.

Fresh, Whole Milk
For 1 cup fresh milk, use 1 cup skim plus 2 teaspoons butter.

Heavy Cream
A good substitute for heavy cream in baking can be made with 3/4 cup whole milk plus 1/2 to 1/3 cup butter and a little flour. You can also try using an equal quantity of plain yogurt in some dishes.

Maple Syrup
For 1 cup maple sugar, use 3/4 cup corn syrup plus 1/4 cup butter and flavor to taste with maple extract. You can also substitute honey in equal measure, but the flavor will be affected.

Shortening
Butter or margarine may be substituted for shortening in equal measure.

Brown Sugar
Use 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup molasses to replace 1 cup brown sugar.

Powdered, Confectioner's Sugar
For every 4 cups powdered confectioner's sugar, use 3 cups granulated sugar well dissolved.

Ammonium Bicarbonate
For 1 teaspoon ammonium bicarbonate, use 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda. Ammonium bicarbonate is sometimes used in baking cookies.

Chocolate Square
You can replace 1 chocolate square with 3 tablespoons cocoa and 1 tablespoon butter.

White Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup molasses or corn syrup can be used for 1 cup sugar, but liquid in the recipe must be reduced by 1/2 cup.

3/4 cup honey can replace 1 cup granulated sugar, but reduce liquid in recipe by 1/4 cup.

If you don't mind the change in flavor, you can use 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar for 1 cup granulated sugar.

Corn Syrup
For a simple corn syrup substitution, replace 1 cup corn syrup with 1 cup granulated sugar and increase liquid in recipe by 1/4 cup.

Baking Substitutions

Raisins
Almost any kind of chopped dried fruit can be substituted for raisins. Currants or chopped dates can be used in a recipe with good results.

Chocolate Chips
Chop about 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate to replace 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips.

Treacle
Corn syrup or light molasses can be substituted for treacle in equal measure.

Eggs
2 egg whites or 2 egg yolks can be used for 1 whole egg.

Sour Milk
Simply stir in about 1 tsp of white vinegar to 1 cup milk. Buttermilk can also be substituted in equal measure.

Sour Cream
As a substitution for sour cream, simply use an equal measure of plain yogurt in most recipes.

Cornstarch
For thickening purposes, you can use 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour to replace 1 tablespoon cornstarch.

Cinnamon
Use 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice to replace 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Cream of Tartar
There is no effective cream of tartar substitute, but you can try using an equal quantity of white vinegar in a pinch.

Molasses
Honey may be used in equal measure, but it will affect the flavor.

Buttermilk
For 1 cup buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to 1 cup whole milk. You can also use 1/3 cup whole milk with 2/3 cup plain yogurt as a buttermilk substitute.

Allspice
Use 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to replace 1 teaspoon allspice.

Cooking Wine
You can replace red cooking wine with the same quantity of grape juice or cranberry juice. To replace white cooking wine use apple juice or white grape juice. The flavor will be affected somewhat.

Lemon Zest
For 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest, use 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract.

Marshmallows
Use 1 cup of miniature marshmallows to replace 10 large marshmallows.

Rum
As a substitution for rum when baking, use 1 part rum extract plus 3 parts water.

Source: http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/baking-substitutions.html

nell67
04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Nice Rick,you can also use 1 tsp. lemon juice to 1 cup milk to make sour milk.

Rick
04-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Or just leave the milk in the fridge for a couple of weeks.:D

nell67
04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
That works too,milk just last long enough to sour around here though,and at $4 a gallon,I better be able to use it for something if it did go sour,LOL!

crashdive123
04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Rick - I'm disappointed. Read through the post....hopeful.....wishing......wanting....... believing that just maybe......but alas, I guess it's true. There's just no substitute for bacon.

nell67
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Why would you want a substitute for bacon,when you can have the real thing!!!!!!!

crashdive123
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Got all caught up in that in case you run out (I know, I know - you should never run out of bacon) and gotta wait till spring.

Rick
04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, I had to give myself CPR when I read your post. (The new kind. I'm not getting all frenchy frenchy with myself. I don't know what I've got after all). YOU CAN NOT SUBSTITUTE FOR BACON. Heresy, I say, sir!