PDA

View Full Version : 4 Month New Hampshire wilderness living?

skitheeast8
12-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Hello all!
I am a college student in New Hampshire.
This summer (May - August) I am going to live in the woods on family land (200 acres)
I have permission to do so.
I know it is several months ahead of time but I want to plan ahead.
I was looking into Canvas wall tents to live in for the 4 months but they seem to be way out of my budget (Most of them costing well over $500).
I already have a small stove that was passed down to me with a 5'' stovepipe which will be perfect for cold nights.
Should I make my own canvas tent? Or does anyone know of any other good shelter ideas that will last 4 months at least?
This structure can not be permanent as I will be taking it down when I go back to school in august.
I have already constructed a rainwater collection system with a water pump that goes into a propane water heater.
I also have a 2000kw generator.
I just need to figure out the shelter situation!
I don't want to spend over $500 on a tent.
I am looking for a tent that I can fit my queen size bed in but still have living space.
Help me out guys thanks

SARKY
12-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Check out costco or sportsman's guide for a cheaper alternative, granted it won't be canvas.

1stimestar
12-28-2013, 01:26 AM
I'd say dump the queen size bed and give yourself more living space! Try ebay for wall tents.

1stimestar
12-28-2013, 01:41 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boy-Scout-Wall-Tent-Canvas-/201009701059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecd1ca0c3

pete lynch
12-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Build a teepee.
Ditch the queen-sized bed and get a cot or build your own bed.
Who drags a q-sized bed out in the wilderness?

hunter63
12-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Tipi, is good idea, but remember good canvas is expensive, weather you build a tent or buy one.

Look into MilSup tents.....I thinking GP Medium.....look at local surplus stores.
just an example;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390508764429?lpid=82

Queen size bed?........That just plain silly........

DSJohnson
12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Tipi's are kind'a neat but I would STRONGLY recommend a conventional wall tent. I, too, would choose to NOT use the queen size bed. for a couple of reasons. Space being the most important one. Doing a quick check on eBay and Craigslist just now I found 4 or 5 possible options for less than $300. Are you going to be doing this alone or will you have a partner with you? Putting up a 12 or 14 foot wall tent by your self is a trick. I have a 12'X16' canvas wall tent that has a 8.5' ridge and 6' walls and it is tough to put up by yourself I promise. In addition to the tent I would sure buy a couple or three good heavy-duty tarps. 12 X 16 or so. It is really nice to have a little porch out in front and if it turns into a wet summer having a tarp hung over the top of your tent really makes it much more water resistant. If you decide to go with the used BSA tents buy two of them and set them up together one for a living/eating area and one for the bed room/dressing area. They do NOT have a floor so again you will need something, like an old area carpet for a floor, or a tarp, or feed sacks work if you don't have anything better. It does not take long to make a set of uprights and a ridge for them and if you "prop" a 3 foot stick in each corn it keeps the tent from sagging and gives you more room. Water proof whatever you buy before you use it too much. Even a new tent. Set it up, wet it down with a water hose then let it dry real good and then water proof it. (This is for canvas only, ploy blends and nylon you do not need to wet first.) Remember to pick a nice high spot to set up on. I am jealous of you getting to do this. I wish I were at a place where I could just take "off" for 4 months and go camping....Good luck. Ask lots and lots of questions before you leave!!

DSJohnson
12-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Re-reading your post again Skietheast8. Thinking about it, Have you considered building a"shanty/cabin" out of pallets? Can you use any native timber on the 200 acres? If you can use either standing dead timber or actually cut a few trees to use for the "big" pieces like the uprights and ridge pole then you could "re-cycle" some palleting for the walls and use a tarp for the roof. I think if I actually knew I had 4 months there I would chose something along those lines rather than a tent. Out at Philmont the staff stays in tents all summer but the tents are set up on a floor and frame structure that makes them much more livable.
Message me and I will explain how it works

Sarge47
12-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Don't know if I should take you serious or not since you added the queen-sized bed. A camp cot will do just fine. If you're a really big fella then shop around for the bigger sizes. Remember two things about shelter: One is weather, and that includes possible high winds; look out for "widow makers." Two, you get what you pay for...If it's going to keep you safe then spend what you need to...how much do you value life and limb? My duos centavos!...:cool2:

skitheeast8
12-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Yes I will be living with my girlfriend which is why I would probably need a larger bed, but anything will work as long as we both fit comfortably on it.
I can use native timber, just need to make sure whatever I make in the woods technically can be taken down easily so the crazy town officials don't try and tax me.
I am really willing to look into anything but not spend too much money, plans or ideas would be great. thanks for the help guys. Also, I do have a job in the summer, full time landscaping so there will be a decent income.

randyt
12-28-2013, 05:39 PM
check this place for tents perhaps they have something that will suffice.

http://armytents.com/

SlowRide13
12-28-2013, 05:41 PM
My family used to build what we called "tar paper shacks" for hunting cabins.

All you need is a roll or two of roofing felt (tar paper) and felt tacks from any hardware store (this is for the walls), plus tarps to cover the roof (and a piece of tin roofing to accommodate the stove pipe), nails, hammer, saw/axe.

We built a frame for the cabin out of cut poles--usually locust. This stayed up year-round. When we got ready to use it, we applied the felt to the walls, put the tarp on the roof, installed the wood stove and stovepipe, and we were in business. Warm, dry, cozy, cheap. After hunting season, we stripped it back to the frame.

I spent a lot of cherished nights in those shacks.