PDA

View Full Version : fishing net in BoB

Crab pot
12-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Does anyone here keep a fishing net in their bag? Seems like a solid item, lightweight, can gather food, be used as a hammock, or as a ceiling to hold some branches and leaves. If you do keep one, what do you think of it?

SlowRide13
12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I keep a 3'x4' minnow sein and a de-handled landing net in both my backpack and my day pack (my version of BOB, I guess). In my country, laced with mountain streams, I can pull up a bounty of food any time with these.

I also carry lightweight mosquito head nets, and have used them to fashion crawfish/minnow traps (and for acorn leaching, and foraging bags, and even to keep bugs out of my face)--a handy little weightless item to keep handy.

In my cushier truck/boat camping gear, I also keep a larger, 2 man minnow sein, and a collapsible minnow/crawfish trap (from Bass Pro).

I've found all to be very quick and effective food gathering devices, considering the weight to carry.

crashdive123
12-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't keep a fishing net, but I keep several mosquito head nets which could easily be fashioned into a useful dip net.

Rick
12-23-2013, 03:43 PM
I have some but not in the bobs.

hunter63
12-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Had a nice antique one...till DW grabbed it to "decorate "....got idea from a Country Women Mag....so beware.

I'm a head net guy as well.....

Crab pot
12-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Thats what I was thinking, so light, why not? Even you head net guys can catch some fish and keep the bugs off ya (if youre fine with the fish smell!) without feeling the weight.

I think ill have to pick one up, and if it can hold my weight as a hammock, ill let yall know.

randyt
12-23-2013, 06:54 PM
A gill net works well at times. here's a link to a affordable one, of course emergency only. In addition to fish small game like rabbits and birds can be tangled up in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Glide-Adventurer-Series-FG1151/dp/B004INMG98?tag=vglnk-c1004-20

Crab pot
12-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Looks pretty good! I wonder if it could hold 230 lbs though...

ive seen some pages with instructions on how to make a 550 cord net..I may give that a shot.

Rangefinder
01-16-2014, 02:39 AM
Backpacker's hammock works well. They're compact, strong, light, and large enough to do multiple things. Fishing (dip-net), small game trap, gear stowing, etc.

Mischief
01-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Randyt It is my understanding that this gill net is only 1/2 of a great kit,the other 1/2 would be some waterproof fire crackers to move the fish to the gill net.

SlowRide13
01-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Naaaah, that's what kids are for.

edr730
01-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Our minnows run from around the time the first young deer are born to the end of the fishing season or fall. We have used seine nets, but almost always just glass minnow jugs. It would take about 7 minutes to fill the jug. Usually set it on the edge of an eddy. When you turn over rocks and there is life under them then that is the place to begin looking. Been many years ago since I last trapped many, but we would put big tanks in the boat and chainsaw our way up river. They are easy to find as are crayfish. With crayfish you just need some kind of trap and some old meat inside. Jugs are heavy and they need crackers. A net and a river could give you a steady food source that you could pack.