PDA

View Full Version : Tinder Box

Rick
04-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Most everyone knows that dried animal dung will burn if the dung is from a grass eating animal. Did you know that dried animal dung can also be used as fire tinder? During WWII, soldiers serving in Africa often carried a tin of dried camel dung, a piece of flint and a piece of ironstone. They would use the dried dung to catch a spark to light their cigarettes. Since lighter fluid was a scarce commodity in the North African desert the camel dung lighter became pretty common.

Ole WV Coot
04-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Guess it would work. Rather have a BIC. I can hear it now: "Whatcha got in the little box?" Aw nothing much just a little camel c@@@ to light my cigar.

Rick
04-04-2008, 01:51 PM
A bic without fuel is just another projectile.:D (or a sparker)

crashdive123
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
With the rising costs of fuels, they may become scarce as time goes by. I think you may be on to something. Just gotta figure out how to market camel poo lighters.

Rick
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
We use the camel mascot for camel cigarettes and have him poo behind a sand dune. Then the Marlboro man before he died. Using him now would be...well....creepy.

crashdive123
04-04-2008, 06:44 PM
We use the camel mascot for camel cigarettes and have him poo behind a sand dune. Then the Marlboro man before he died. Using him now would be...well....creepy.

Hmmmmm. How about....

To attract some traditionalists

http://americancigaretteshop.com/camel_non.jpg

To go after a younger crowd

http://www.tvacres.com/images/camel_joe.jpg

and then...ya'll pay attention out there. Only sissies use a bic.

http://www.ltl.appstate.edu/digipro/sum01/hensey/F_project/marlboro.jpg

Rick
04-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Great! Now we need a slogan....

Dung matches. A little poo will do.
Dung matches. Sh*t yea!

crashdive123
04-04-2008, 07:28 PM
How about - Nobody poo poo's our matches. They work every time - no s***.

Rick
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
There you go. Where's our million?

hoosierarcher
04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
a prison match is a q-tip puffed up a bit and the out of fuel Bic. I've always got a small zip bag with a Vaseline Lip Therapy tube and half a dozen cotton balls in it. With half a cotton ball a small squeeze of vaseline and a spark after I have everything ready to go and I'll have a blazing fire in under 10 seconds.

klkak
04-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I wonder if horse dung my work as well. I have trailer loads of the stuff around here.

Tahyo
04-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I think it's the Mongols that cook using dung from their animals. I know other cultures use it.
I can see using some of those dried cow pies or horse dung in a pinch. If it's dry it should hold an ember.

Rick
04-18-2008, 08:02 PM
klkak - I would think the dung from any animal that eats grass or hay would be good to use as long as it was dry. Experiment. Just be a little discreet. Some folks just don't understand.

"Moooommmm. Dad's being weird again. He's trying to burn horse poop."
"It's okay, dear. Your father has his reasons."
"Well I ain't bringing any of my friends over if he's gonna burn horse poop. All he does it stay on the computer on that wilderness site or do weird stuff."
"I know, dear."

klkak
04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark

hoosierarcher
04-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Any animals that eats grass will produce a manure that when dry is flammable. In fact cow pies and camel dung make hot fire that is fairly smoke free. That is if I remember right.