PDA

View Full Version : Question for Alaskans

Reasoner.JD
12-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Hello again!

For all you Alaskans, what area would you all recommend for homesteading? I know this is a very vague question and will attract lots of different answers, but that's what I'm looking for!

Ideally I want to be in a place that is somewhat remote (the more remote is better for me but not so much for my better half) so as long as I don't have neighbors its fine with me. I am looking for an area where self subsistence is possible if desired, (good area for hunting and fishing) in yet close enough to civilization that the other half can commute to town if she desires without having to hauled out on a bushplane or something! (Within an hour or so of a town with jobs and amenities.)

I was researching Dillingham, and love what I have researched about the area and recreational parts of it. My biggest concern is having to freight everything in. I love the thought of being off the main road system but I'm afraid freighting costs may be less than desirable. If its the price you have to pay than I'm fine with that but its not ideal. Does anyone have any experience or know people that live in this area?

Is there anywhere that exists that meets my wants? Thank you!

1stimestar
12-10-2013, 02:15 AM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?24267-Hello-to-all!-Homesteading&highlight=1stimestar%2C+alaska

1stimestar
12-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Yea if you live off the road system you are going to pay for everything to be barged in or flown in, including yourself. I strongly urge you to steer clear of any villages unless you are a teacher that has gotten a placement there or a travelling nurse.