PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all! Homesteading..

Reasoner.JD
12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Hello to everyone! My name is JD and currently live in Texas.
I have this RIDICULOUS urge to move north to Alaska and it will not be settled until I do so. I'm an avid outdoorsman and have lived all over the country. I wasn't born and raised in Texas, so the extreme heat is not all I know. My family owned property in Eastern Alaska and I am fully aware of the hardships, dangers, and extreme temperatures that come along with living in the north country! None of this worries me.

My question to everyone is, if a man were to make the long trek North where would the IDEAL place be to go? I don't particularly like people, so seclusion is ideal for me. I can't say that I want to only be seen by me, myself and I but am not against not having the ability to see people for weeks at a time. Obviously I am looking for a place with great hunting and fishing and basically be 90%+ self sufficient. The occasional trip to a store won't hurt my feelings, either.

I have money saved and plan to buy a small 5-10 acre lot for a homestead hopefully backed up the government land for further hunting and fishing. Any help, advise, ideas will be GREATLY appreciated!

hunter63
12-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey, and Welcome.
Several members live and work in Alaska, so maybe they will jump in here.

DSJohnson
12-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the Forum! Glad you found us. Like Mr. Hunter said there are several folks here that choose to live in Alaska and seem to really embrace it. Good luck on following your dream!

Reasoner.JD
12-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Hello Hunter63 and thanks for the Welcome!

I must also add, I plan on buying property and after I have it bought I want to work and in my free time build my cabin and everything else that I'll need for my self sustainability. I have already started my purchasing so that I'm a little further ahead when I get there. I'm not wanting to be dropped off out of a plane like some people and left to fend for myself. I like to think that I'm half way realistic about my ideas and have a well thought out plan. The only setback for me is location!

DSJohnson
12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
We have a member who is a realtor in Alaska I believe.

1stimestar
12-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Sourdough is an Alaskan realtor. JD, if you live 10 miles out of any town but Los Anchorage, you can find spots that fill your dreams. If you want to live near a population hub so you can work or go to town more then once a month, then I recommend Fairbanks. Of course, I'm partial to Fairbanks as being a town, yet the "real" Alaska. Anywhere near Anchorage and you have a lot of population because of the more mild climate. Of course, up here our growing season is very short but people grow all sorts of things, especially with the help of green houses. You might look into over the counter land sales by the state. They are a very good deal. But don't buy anything without putting boots on the ground first. We have a lot of muskeg and of course, permafrost. You can build and live on permafrost but muskeg is like swamp. The ground underneath is too frozen to drain.

crashdive123
12-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Hello and welcome.

Reasoner.JD
12-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the 'welcomes'!
1stimestar- I am actually more interested in the Fairbanks area to Eagle or Tok. With risk of sounding like an idiot, I want the "real" Alaska lifestyle. Not that living south of there would not be, but in my searches there seems to be 'subdivisions' around every lake and stream. That's not what I'm looking for. Once I'm established, I'm only wanting access to town (within an hour or two by boat or snowmachine) I know I may never find EXACTLY what I want, but I'm certainly going to try to find it. I just don't want the hustle and bustle of the KP or somewhere like that. Tourists walking around my property is a less than desirable situation for me.

Aren't over the counter land sales only available for residents? Not that this is terrible, but I was in hopes to have something bought and paid for before I ever moved there.
I've got a 2 week trip planned, starting the middle of May. Hopefully I can meet with enough people/ realtors that it will be a productive trip.

Rick
12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Welcome home.