PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged

Canuckette
12-01-2013, 10:44 PM
I live in the city. I would like to live in the woods. Every time I try to make my dream happen, something makes it too difficult. Money, government rules. .... people. :-(

I found land, but I can't live on it the way I want without permits.
To get the permits, I need to take courses.
The courses are only offered at certain times of the year, far from where I live.
Etc, etc, etc....

Then I got an idea. Instead of telling government, (and people who think I'm nuts for wanting to live in the woods, that I'm "living off the land", why don't I just tell them that I'm "camping"?

What do you think?

1stimestar
12-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Why don't you just go camping? Or move somewhere you don't have to have permits? But if you are really going to go live off the land, make sure it's your own.

DSJohnson
12-01-2013, 11:57 PM
I agree with 1st here. Go camping.....but be very careful about where and how you are camping. If you really are serious about "living off the land" then you really do need to buy some land to live on.

Canuckette
12-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Thanks. Buying land has been something I've wanted to do for awhile now.
Wish me luck.

1stimestar
12-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. What are you looking for and where? I would say "move to where you don't need permits" but I assume you live in Canada and don't know their system at all.

crashdive123
12-02-2013, 07:52 AM
The situation as you have described it tells me that this is not a serious goal of yours.

I'm not saying this isn't something you want or dream about, but it is not a serious goal. Now, before you start cussing and hollering at me (or if you've already started, it's time to stop)......if you want this to become a serious goal then you have to act like it.

You need to do ALL of your homework and legwork. You need to research everything it takes to achieve the goal. You need to start taking steps toward that end. If that means you need to take classes for permits, then take them. If that means you need to save a down payment for the land, then save it. Not trying to be harsh, but if this is to become something you truly want then you need to focus like a laser beam on how to get there from where you are. The permitting process will not be a surprise because you have researched it and have taken steps to obtain those permits.

Goals are important. Write them down. Put them where you will see them every day. Let the obstacles become smaller hurdles and then eventually just something that took you one step closer to where you want to be.

DSJohnson
12-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Miz Can, ma'am,
Not trying to be too pryin' here but I am curious. Have you looked at doing some "extended" camping on "public" lands? Is that what requires the permits?

SlowRide13
12-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Yep--camping is the only thing that keeps me from wanting to live in the woods.

People make me crave solitude. Solitude makes me crave people. Work makes me crave play. Play makes me crave work. Living off the land makes me crave restaurants and grocery stores, which make me crave living off the land.

So.... camping.

hunter63
12-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Yep--camping is the only thing that keeps me from wanting to live in the woods.

People make me crave solitude. Solitude makes me crave people. Work makes me crave play. Play makes me crave work. Living off the land makes me crave restaurants and grocery stores, which make me crave living off the land.

So.... camping.

Yep, Kinda the way it works......funny ain't it?

Canuckette
12-03-2013, 02:10 AM
What am I looking for? Ideally a lot of woodland, next to a lake, and a creek.

Here's the deal (well, some of the deal anyway). I live in Quebec. Winters here very cold (but not as cold as Alaska, obviously). I found land that I can afford in Nova Scotia (162 acres, plenty for me).
It has a lake. I think the winters are moderate enough to survive in a cabin.
But to get a hunting permit I would need to take their safety arms course, there.
I would have to sell my home here, of course. And move.

I would start with a tent. I would build a large teepee. And eventually put up a cabin. And build on virgin land. By myself most likely. I talk to one of my coworkers about it and he thinks I might have to do more research like it was suggested here. I know that some people will think I'm nuts to live in the woods, but many people have done it successfully and been very happy.

If I leave my job (in an office) I don't think I can go back. So it's a huge decusion. I'm giving myself two years to decide. I'm 48 (healthy, in decent physical shape, no kids). So, at 50 I'll know in what direction my life is going. Mid-life crisis? Probably. But it's catching - everyone in my office has it.

1stimestar
12-03-2013, 03:31 AM
So things you also need to think about: Do you know how to hunt and preserve the meat you get? Do you know how to operate and maintain a chainsaw? Have you looked into how to build a simple cabin? You can find all this info on youtube actually. What about gardening in that climate zone?

pete lynch
12-03-2013, 06:03 AM
And what kind of transport is available, i.e.: can you deliver goods and material to this site by truck, plane, etc?

Wildthang
12-03-2013, 02:41 PM
That is a huge undertaking to do by yourself. Do you have a friend that could help you with this, and maybe stay with you long term? Dont get me wrong, it can be done alone, but it wiont be easy and it will take a loooooong time!
Making a cabin out of rough timber is a huge job for one person, and back breaking to say the least! Then there's busting ground for a garden, hunting, a root celler etc. Creating a place in the wilderness and thriving is huge never ending work, and it will get you down if you don't have an iron will and a penchant for hard work. Doing this by yourself makes it all twice as hard!

Catfishfiddler
12-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Yep....follow your dream but educate yourself. Prime example of not doing this was Christopher Mccandless (you can watch a show loosely based on him on netflix called Into the Wild).

oldtrap59
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
As Crash said, You first of all need to e sure that this is what you want to do. Next thing after you sit down and have a long talk with yourself on the subject be ready to start making decisions that are are going to lead you where you want to be in the end. Some of those will be tough and some may be an outright gamble. However, never loose sight of your goal.

It took the wife and I a half of a lifetime to get where we are now.(28 acres of timbered homestead in East Texas) Make the choices and never give up. GOODLUCK!

Oldtrap

Canuckette
12-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks guys. I think I know how tough it will be. I have been roaming around in the woods since I was a kid. (I'm only in the city now because I needed a job to make money). I had four brothers who taught me how to fish, hunt and put in rabbit snares. I used to check them everyday after school. It's something I miss. It's a shame that so many people can't do this life when they're young because they can't afford it. Then when they can, they're too old, physically, to do it.

I will do a lot of research before I do anything rash. And I would like to find someone else who's interested in coming in with me. Obviously, that would have to be a very special person.
See ya for now.

Canuckette
12-04-2013, 01:58 AM
Yep....follow your dream but educate yourself. Prime example of not doing this was Christopher Mccandless (you can watch a show loosely based on him on netflix called Into the Wild).

Yes, I saw "Into the Wild". Geeze, I couldn't believe how many basic survival mistakes he made. (He didn't even bring rope. ) Okay, I admit I don't know the whole story, but still, what we saw in the movie showed how woefully unprepared he was. (He didn't anticipate the Spring thaw?)

I know I'll make mistakes, we all do. But not those kinds. I have more experience.
His death was still sad. But he died doing what he loved. He looked truly happy in the photo they found of him afterwards. And well, that counts for something.

Catfishfiddler
12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Lol. He didn't die doing what he loved. He died where he loved (at least initially) He died a horrible suffering death and left a note pleading for help as proof. But I digress. I never intended to insult your woodcraft savvy and I am truly sorry if I did.

ClayPick
12-04-2013, 08:56 AM
One of the first things I would do is see if the property has a maintained road. If not your going to need a 4 wheeler, snowmobile or whatever, hauling stuff tends to be a reality. Zoning is everything. Make sure it’s agricultural or a woodlot. It’s a bonus if the property has a civic address. With 162 acres you should have no problem getting a permit to build a camp. STAY AWAY FROM THE BANKS !!!!!!!!!! and pay your taxes. I would want to know if the land has been logged. Stumpage can be money in the bank. Be firm on your price if someone has already taken the wood off it. Some land around here with lakes tends to be boggy. Makes for good fishing and hunting though. You really can have the best of both worlds here. Once you leave the towns the population dwindles quickly.

Canuckette
12-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Insult my bushcraft savvy? (Smile) Not at all. I enjoy your posts. Thanks.

Canuckette
12-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Hi. Oh! A Nova Scotian! Cool! I can't go there physically right now, so look up the property on google satellite (amazing technology). Yeah, so I don't think there's a gravel road, but there is a log road. Hmm. I would have to make more study of that. But thanks for the advice. In what county do you live in BTW?

ClayPick
12-05-2013, 09:36 AM
East Hants and Colchester. My favorite places are the Cobequid Hills and Cape Breton Island.

01-01-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm new to this site, so be kind to me...hehehe.

I'm not having to deal with the same concerns as you Canuckette, as I'm in the warmth of California. BUT....regardless of the drastic differences, it's still similar in some aspects. I'm doing the same "thought process" you are. I'm trying to figure out how and when I will make that move to what we say as "Off-the-grid" living.
For me, the last two years has been a tremendous learning experience for me. I've soaked many hours into reading books and learning to understand "people". I discovered that the only thing that's stands between where I'm at now and me living "off-the-grid" ....is people and relationships. Relationships are the key asset to ANY successful country, backwoods, off-grid living, whatever you want to call it.
I will share with you some of my own experiences with you Canuckette (and the rest of my new friends here for that matter) and you can take what makes sense to you and throw away the rest, how's that?
I started up a Survival group several years ago and it taught me so much. I had to learn the art of relationship building and how important it is in the end. I truly believe this can't be done alone. Living in the woods and barely squeaking by is not what I consider a quality life. To me, I imagine a sustainable community with 30-50 families Cooperatively living on a Homestead. I had NO idea that it was going to be SO difficult to find people that had any resemblance of the goals I seeked after! Most people are generally flakes. The story is somewhat true about SoCal people...land of the fruits and nuts! It's REALLY difficult to find people who have a vision here for anything outside where they are going to find their next Grande Mocha at Starbucks! Seriously, it's not an EASY task!
So, relationships are paramount. Second, you need to find the land. Third, you need to determine how you will earn income while you're building your off-grid farm or Homestead. Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy, so just buying things with cash is not much of an option. Fourth, once you've got all your ducks in a row (just replace that with Canadian Geese if it makes more sense...hehehe), you must proceed forward with a sense of purpose and execution. I agree with Crash completely, you must do your research and determine how serious you are about this. Letting some "permits" get in the way of your dreams should not be a factor. You are going to run into obstacle after obstacle on your journey into this next phase of your life. Take those obstacles and turn them into learning experiences and keep moving forward!

Good Luck to you! I was raised in Vancouver, BC, so I'm kinda part Canuck...loved the country and the people...but just darn wet! You need Webbed feet to live in Vancouver...hehehe.

Sluggo
02-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Unless you relocate frequently ( at least weekly I would say) the authorities most likely will not believe you.Setting up a permanent dwelling would not fit the camping story.

Croprepper
04-20-2014, 03:47 PM
So you actually want to live totally independent like a trapper and live like 100 yrs ago or you just want to self supply yourself and be independet but use the modern advantages?

_________
Via Tapatalk

hunter63
04-20-2014, 04:12 PM
So you actually want to live totally independent like a trapper and live like 100 yrs ago or you just want to self supply yourself and be independet but use the modern advantages?

_________
Via Tapatalk
Seems there a lot of people that think like that, at least form the confines of their mom's basement, on a keyboard.

Mostly not a lot of thought has been given to that hard reality at you can't have it both ways .....or you can but need a lot of money.

Just an observation.....

Croprepper
04-20-2014, 04:18 PM
I live in a small village, got my garden so self supplying myselg with veggies, buy 2 or 3 pigs from my friend and make myself salamies and konserve the meat. Also got a forest and do my firewood myself. So to speak yeah i live kind of off the grid but completely alone in the wilderness? Wouldnt go.

_________
Via Tapatalk

hunter63
04-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Nothing wrong with that...... a lot of people do, or at least try to as best as they can.....a good thing....Congrats

Just seems that some just want everything and don't want to work or pay for it.

There still are hunters, trappers, loggers, prospectors/miners....that use old ways and new ways...still all tough and a lot of work.

cabingal4
07-21-2014, 10:29 AM
to us. being off the grid lets u do alot of what u wish to do.
sometimes it does not pay to alert the powers that be.
we are retiring in an area where everyone...or alot of people are building cabins
that are 200 sq.feet.
u arent suppose to use these for living but if u look at these cabins u surely know they
are not just for storage.
alot have built 200 sq.ft.a-frames.one family has built a 200 sq.ft "storage shed" and put porches on each
side for later to add on to.the building code enforcers are so far.no garbage service pick up out there.no mail.
u have to get a post office box in next town.20 miles away.
one fella who worked for the state came out there.he got his land cleared off.
he got his septic in and his power.then he wanted to build a yurt.they told him no.
he thought he was so in and he ended up getting mad and now his land is up for sale.
there is nice homes up in our mountain rural area and mostly alot of yahoo cabins.
we are under the later .we keep it at 200 sq.feet.we are not living there full time.
so in our area u can do this.no one cares.
so far that is.