PDA

View Full Version : Muesli

Rick
04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I ran across muesli a few years ago in the Northeast of all places. I enjoyed it so much that I played with my own recipe until I came up with one that I really like.

2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups milk
1/2 cup applesauce (a single serving container is 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (a single serving container of yogurt is about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup honey

Mix all together and place in refrigerator over night. By the next morning the oats will have absorbed most of the liquids. It will be a little thicker than soup. It's an excellent and healthy way to start a warm summer morning. In the winter, just warm it up but I think it tastes better cold.

You can, of course, add dried fruits or flavored yogurt if you wish.

Alpine_Sapper
04-04-2008, 07:14 AM
After reading this, since I had everything on hand, I threw some together last night. It was pretty much what I eat as a post workout breakfast anyway, with the exception of some whey protein.

It's awesome.

I split the recipe in half, since I'm the only one that would be eating it. I also added a scoop of vanilla whey protein to half of what I made (a quarter of the recipe above) to thicken it up a little after I tasted it, and tossed in a quarter cup of frozen blackberries and a quarter cup of frozen raspberries. Delicious!

Thanks Rick. Much appreciated.

Rick
04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Glad you liked it. You can adulterate it just about any way you want and it keeps for four or five days in the fridge. I've tossed in blueberries or other fruit from time to time. Pretty healthy stuff.

Is whey protein edible? And they make it in vanilla? Well I swan........

Alpine_Sapper
04-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Glad you liked it. You can adulterate it just about any way you want and it keeps for four or five days in the fridge. I've tossed in blueberries or other fruit from time to time. Pretty healthy stuff.

Is whey protein edible? And they make it in vanilla? Well I swan........

Yup. I get the large tubs of vanilla for about $15. Versatile stuff. The chocolate, not so much. You can follow the directions and make it into a shake, or stir it into yogurt, with fruit or nuts or whatever.

If I'm at work and don't have access to any of that, I stir it into coffee (although I prefer it black, it basically emulates cream and sugar). Great boost for when you push your muscles past the point of exhaustion.

I also make the shakes w/ Peanut butter and Banana, and all kinds of stuff.

26g's of Protein per scoop, like, a gram or two of non-saturated fat, and no carbs.

See Mitch, we're all gram weenies in our own way. :D