PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Coffee

Rick
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
If Greek or Turkish coffee isn't your style then maybe cowboy coffee is.

1. Bring one quart of water to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Add 3/4 cup of ground coffee.
3. Return to boil.
4. Immediately remove from heat and cover.
5. Wait till the grounds sink (approximately 5 minutes).
6. Serve.

If you let the coffee boil very long the taste will be bitter so remove it as soon as the water starts to boil again. And remember, you'll have muddy lees in the bottom so you don't want to drink all the coffee.

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I learned that one years ago. You can pour a shot of cold water in it and that will settle the grounds too.
I love any good coffee and especially espresso. I have one of those Bialetti espresso makers and use it every day.
Coffee... black and strong for me.

Rick
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
The only problem with cold water is....it makes the coffee cold. As I said in the Greek coffee thread you can wait 5 minutes and the grounds will cool and sink to the bottom.

Gotta have my java!!

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
It doesn't take much cold water Rick. You only use a little and I've never noticed.
I'm usually sitting by the fire first thing in the morning and that cup is usually right there on a rock by the fire.

I do agree.... "Gotta have my java!!"

BraggSurvivor
04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Works the same as a bodum. I drink it like that every morning, I dont wait 6 minutes and I dont drink the last half inch. Whats a coffee filter?

Ridge Wolf
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
This is an interesting conversation between wolf and dog.. (referring to the avatars) it is like they are talking to one another.. Isn't what is being described called 'hobo coffee'? Good to the last ground. I think you can get special containers that will make a fresh cup for you... they are of french origin and I have seen them in my military surplus store. They are great for the trail too.. there are special attachments that go on the open mouth of a nalgene bottle too. You do need hot water for them though.. unless you're a fan of ice coffee... they can make that too. :D

Ah, now a mountain lion has joined the conversation.. :D

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I have one of those "Bialetti" espresso makers that I have occasionally dragged along on week enders. I use that for my afternoon shot of espresso every day.
Love coffee... If the doctor told me I had to give it up, I'd be in a world of trouble.

Rick
04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
I made fun of you guys in the Greek coffee thread. I just can't picture cappuccino at 2:00 in the bush. Sorry.

BraggSurvivor
04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
My doctor told me to cut back on coffee, red meat and beer. I told him point blank "I'd rather die first". He didnt think it was funny and I wasnt laughing.

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
You wouldn't be the first one to make fun of me regarding my afternoon coffee Rick... haha... and probably won't be the last.
I've made coffee in just about every conceivable manner that you could probably think of (like any hard core coffee connoisseur).

My late grandmother in La. who was old world cajun, use to make some of the strongest coffee for just regular stuff. We nicknamed it "Motor oil".

crashdive123
04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
If you're worried about the grounds, you can always strain them, or like the time when I was camping and didn't pack the basket for the percolator. Make coffee - add raw egg when coffee is done. Most of the grounds will be collected by the egg.

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
For a real pinch, you can use your underwear. :)

crashdive123
04-03-2008, 09:18 PM
For a real pinch, you can use your underwear. :)

Think I'd rather spit out grounds.

Alpine_Sapper
04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
You wouldn't be the first one to make fun of me regarding my afternoon coffee Rick... haha... and probably won't be the last.
I've made coffee in just about every conceivable manner that you could probably think of (like any hard core coffee connoisseur).

My late grandmother in La. who was old world cajun, use to make some of the strongest coffee for just regular stuff. We nicknamed it "Motor oil".

If you like the strong cajun stuff toss a little chicory in it.

Catfish
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
When you put your pan down to let it 'sit' for 5 minutes, place it on a slight slope. The grounds will settle to one side of the pan and if you're careful when transferring the coffee into your mug, the grounds should all just stay where they are.

My biggest challenge is waiting that 5 minutes...especially if it's the first cup of the day. :)

crashdive123
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
My biggest challenge is waiting that 5 minutes...especially if it's the first cup of the day. :)

This is why I usually carry some whole beans with me. Three or four in the mouth until the first pot is ready. Either that or a slug of Jack.

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
If you like the strong cajun stuff toss a little chicory in it.

Actually chicory is not a Cajun thing. Chicory was used as a "filler" during the civil war when there was a coffee shortage.
Regardless, it's nasty. The coffee of choice for most Cajuns was/is Community brand. They have a web site, just google "Community Coffee".

crashdive123
04-03-2008, 09:49 PM
When I was in South America, they served some of the best, strong coffee that I have had. The problem was that they used these little cups. Not quite an expresso cup, but entirely too small. First trip into town looked for a good sized cup. Couldn't find one. Settled on a nice ceramic bowl. They kept it behind the bar in the restaurant of the hotel we stayed at. When I ordered coffee I got a nice 20 ounce bowl full, along with some strange looks.

Tahyo
04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
When I was in South America, they served some of the best, strong coffee that I have had. The problem was that they used these little cups. Not quite an expresso cup, but entirely too small. First trip into town looked for a good sized cup. Couldn't find one. Settled on a nice ceramic bowl. They kept it behind the bar in the restaurant of the hotel we stayed at. When I ordered coffee I got a nice 20 ounce bowl full, along with some strange looks.

Just goes to show you that when you like coffee, you'll pretty much go out of your way for the good stuff.

Talk to ya'll later.. I'm out for the night.

Catfish
04-03-2008, 10:10 PM
My doctor told me to cut back on coffee, red meat and beer. I told him point blank "I'd rather die first".
Agreeance. In my not at all humble opinion, too many people today are focussed on 'quantity' of life, rather than 'quality'. The problem with "living longer" is that the extra years come at the point in your life when you can get the least use from them.

The way I see it; coffee, red meat and beer bring me one heckuva lot of pleasure and I just don't see the point in giving them up in order to secure an extra 5 years in a retirement home.

And like the old saying goes - Giving up the good stuff doesn't mean you'll live longer, it'll just feel like it.

beerrunner13
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Bragg, my Dr told me the same thing and I cut down on the coffe so I reckon I'll live a third longer.

canid
04-03-2008, 11:05 PM
i like to keep the water below a simmer at all times, then just maintain low heat till the grounds sink. moreover, if it's fine ground, the grounds cake at the bottom the whole time since they're not being stirred by water currents and i get less mud in my cup, and thus urge to use the stool afterward.

Aurelius95
04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
I have a friend who said back in Viet Nam, they made their coffee without filters. But when the coffee was ready, they would stir it with a small branch from a live tree (green wood). He said it caused the grounds to sink. Don't know if he was having fun with me or not, but I've never had to try it.

Rick
04-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Probably not, Aurelius. The cooler branch would lower the temperature so the grounds would drop out. That's my guess anyway. Any time the grounds cool, they will fall out of suspension.

A couple of my buddies were out fishing one night and scooped up a coffee pot of water from the lake and made up some coffee. They talked about the unique flavor it had. When they went to clean the coffee pot out they found a dead frog in it.

Tahyo
04-04-2008, 07:31 AM
A couple of my buddies were out fishing one night and scooped up a coffee pot of water from the lake and made up some coffee. They talked about the unique flavor it had. When they went to clean the coffee pot out they found a dead frog in it.

I'll bet that was unique indeed. Oh man... I read this just as I was sipping on my coffee and it just sort of stayed in my throat for a few seconds longer.

Aurelius95
04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
I guess it would have had a very unique flavor to it. Did they eat the frog's legs? I hear they taste just like chicken.

Rick
04-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I would eat them fried but not after boiling in coffee. I've had plenty of frog legs and I don't think they taste anything like chicken.

trax
04-04-2008, 12:17 PM
My doctor told me to cut back on coffee, red meat and beer. I told him point blank "I'd rather die first". He didnt think it was funny and I wasnt laughing.

That's hilarious Bragg, years ago a doctor told me at the end of a physical (staring very somberly at me) "If you don't quit smoking and drinking that much coffee...you're going to die."

I was buttoning up my shirt and looked straight at him and asked, "so are you saying if I quit those things...I won't die?" He just continued staring for a couple of seconds then turned around and walked out of the examination room. Well, I was about 32 or 33 at the time, I'm 50 now.....

And the best way to make cowboy coffee is to give it four quick re-boils and pull it off the fire just before it boils over. If it boils over you're screwed, it takes an expert to fix that and I might not be available LOL. Trax takes his coffee very seriously, folks.

canid
04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
he probably meant that the grounds where just dumped in. they have to both absorb some water and be stirred a little or steeped a while before they will sink, otherwise they just float there.

campnut
04-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I read that you can use a clean pair of nylon stockings, just tie off one end, put your coffee grounds in and tie off other end

Rick
04-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, I hate to ruin my nylons like that but it is coffee after all.