PDA

View Full Version : Greek or Turkish Coffee

Rick
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
These days every backpacker has to have a coffee press or a cappuccino thingy. But making Greek coffee is pretty quick and easy.

Choose a fairly strong coffee, medium roast, and finely grind or pulverize it before you leave. In camp you can use your sauce pan or cooking pot. Place about 2 Tablespoons of coffee and 4 Tablespoons of sugar. Mix well then add two cups of water. Heat until it rises in a froth. Remove from heat. Repeat twice. Add a very little cold water and pour out gently (adding cold water makes the grounds sink or you can just wait until they cool and they will sink on their own). Some of the muddy lees will go into the cup but don't worry, that's expected. You never drink a Greek coffee to the bottom. You can adjust the sugar slightly to meet your personal taste. Then sip the coffee slowly.

Sourdough
04-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Add 4 shots of whiskey and you have my top secret preflight eyeopener. Then pee on the tires to test for leaks. Check the mags. hand prop it, Put the whiskey bottle in the aft cargo hold. And get'er up. And go to work.....:p

BraggSurvivor
04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Ahhh, the good old days eh hopeak? :D

Ridge Wolf
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
You never drink a Greek coffee to the bottom.

Is that because there are muddy lees down there?:rolleyes:

Pretty good mood tonight... playful I'd say.. :D

Rick
04-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Yes, ridge. It just keeps you from getting into the lees. For those that have been in other countries you know for many of them coffee drinking is a closely held ritual and they honor a certain protocol. Well, except for Crash. He drinks his out of bowl.:D

Ridge Wolf
04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes, ridge. It just keeps you from getting into the lees. For those that have been in other countries you know for many of them coffee drinking is a closely held ritual and they honor a certain protocol. Well, except for Crash. He drinks his out of bowl.:D

Yeah... I have been to England and Spain.. English like tea..but they do have coffee over there.. they make it differently as per their different culture.. So do the Spaniards.

Chicago Dan
05-14-2008, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE][You never drink a Greek coffee to the bottom./QUOTE]

Yeah I save the grounds and take a pinch between the cheek and gum.
Mmmmmm.
Like hi octane dip.

Anywhy I lived on greek coffee while in college. Had a local brew house and I regularly had some test to study for or hangover to shake off.
I is now a glad-u-ate.
I owes it all to greek coffie and no-doze.
I does it again iffin given a fat chance.:rolleyes:

Ken
05-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I'll take espresso over Greek or Turkish coffee any day. I'll still drink Greek or Turkish, but I do have a preference.

When backpacking, I try to go light. I'll save my three espresso/cappuccino makers for use at home. Ever try Folgers coffee bags? Like tea bags, you brew it by the cup. Each bag is individually sealed in foil, stays fresh for years, and weighs almost nothing. Makes a pretty decent cup of coffee, too.

At home? Try this: combine 3oz. of chilled espresso, 1oz. Kalhua, 1oz. Baileys, and 1/2oz. of Grand Marnier. Shake with ice and strain. Enjoy! (Rick - this probably goes well with pulled pork - not that I've had any in a while.):D

Rick
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
The coffee bags are what I use. It's light weight and doesn't get much more simple than that.

Alpine_Sapper
05-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah I save the grounds and take a pinch between the cheek and gum.
Mmmmmm.
Like hi octane dip.

We used to do that with the instant coffee packet in the MRE's. If you've been up all night pulling guard duty and you need a boost of energy, take that little single serve packet and place it under your tongue 'til it disolves. May taste like *** but it'll definitely get you going.

Ken
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm not letting up on this pulled pork thing. I'm hoping that I may get some just so I'll shut up. It never worked with Mom or Dad, but you never know:p.
Maybe the pulled pork was just to awful to share (reverse psychology 102).

crashdive123
05-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Well, a guy has to have his standards.:D

Rick
05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh, pulled pork! Is that what you were asking. I am so sorry. I guess I misunderstood. As luck would have it, we ate it right down to the special coating on the pan. My bad. Next time.....maybe.

klkak
05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
When backpacking, I try to go light. I'll save my three espresso/cappuccino makers for use at home. Ever try Folgers coffee bags? Like tea bags, you brew it by the cup. Each bag is individually sealed in foil, stays fresh for years, and weighs almost nothing. Makes a pretty decent cup of coffee, too.

I use the Folgers coffee bags when out in the bush. They do just fine. With my Jetboil it only takes a minute or 2.

Ken
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I'll hold my breath 'till it arrives.

grundle
05-14-2008, 12:36 PM
you'll be dead long before it arrives...even with next day air :P

Rick
05-14-2008, 01:06 PM
3 minute rule invoked.........;)

dilligaf2u2
05-15-2008, 01:19 AM
I found a french press coffee cup that works well. Put coffee in, add sugar and add hot water. Wait 3 to 5 minutes. Put the press in and push down. Good coffee and the cup is insulated so your coffee stays hot a long time.

I have a pair of sox. White cotton tube sox. When I have to make coffee for 6 or more people I put my coffee in one of the sox. Tie the open end shut and drop it into a pot of cold water. Bring it to a rolling boil and have at it! Cowboy coffee without the mess!

Don