PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgraded

Chris
11-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Upgraded the forum tonight, supposed to be a bunch of bug fixes, let meknow if you see anything wonky.

Also installed the Tapatalk plugin people have asked for, this allows for mobile phone/ipad/kindle/tablet etc viewing/posting.

crashdive123
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Chris, for every post I now get the pop up when I hit the reply button asking to confirm navigation - changes to the editor will be lost. Is that intended as part of the upgrade?

Rick
11-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah, something changed on Chrome. I used to receive the pop-up only if I had typed something but didn't post it. As Crash said it now appears every time I hit Post.

LowKey
11-16-2013, 09:57 AM
I've gotten the same thing.
If you go to Advanced instead of quick post, it works ok.
edit, I guess it does the same thing there too.

Chris, I'd seriously start thinking about another platform if at all possible. Another forum I'm on went over to VB5 and that thing is so full of bugs it is pretty much unusable and has completely crippled a 40,000 member community. A couple of the forum folks were pretty handy with code and came up with some hacks that restored some functionality but couldn't restore the loss of all but the most die-hard members. ALL of the updates to fix it actually have broken other things. They are thinking they will have to archive the old (it's been running 11 years) and start over, it's so bad.
I'm not surprised you are seeing bugs in updates to this version either.

Rick
11-16-2013, 10:07 AM
VB has the ability to add a lot of hacks and there are a lot out there that an owner can use. The problem is every upgrade requires the hacks be manually reinstalled and then you don't know if a given hack will be functional with the upgrade. I have to give Chris a lot of credit. He hasn't used hacks on here and I think that was a good decision on his part. While they do add a lot of bells and whistles and nice pretties they also have the potential for huge problems. It may be the other forum did use them and the bugs they are seeing is not from the code but from the problem with hacks not working with the new code. Just a thought.

Chris
11-16-2013, 11:51 AM
VB has gone down hill since Jelsoft was purchased by Internet Brands, thats true, I don't plan to upgrade to VB5 at any point.

I'm guessing that chrome issue, which is happening to me as well, is most likely a cache issue where we all have an older version of some of the javascript cached, reboots or clearing the temp internet files should fix it.

LowKey
11-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Not using Chrome, Chris.
Mac with Safari.

We don't need no bells and whistles here. Functional and simple works for me.
If it ain't broke...
Thanks for keeping it going Chris.