PDA

View Full Version : Primitive/Survival living

KarlMalone
07-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Hello all, first post. Im looking to get away from it all for a couple months, and test myself and my limits. What I want to do, not right away mind you, is to go out in wilderness and survive for a couple months. I would like to be completely remote and removed from society, setup a camp from scratch and just live for a couple months. My question is where does one go to do such a thing? Im pretty sure most national forests dont allow such things, so how/where do people overcome this problems?

Sarge47
07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Hello all, first post. Im looking to get away from it all for a couple months, and test myself and my limits. What I want to do, not right away mind you, is to go out in wilderness and survive for a couple months. I would like to be completely remote and removed from society, setup a camp from scratch and just live for a couple months. My question is where does one go to do such a thing? Im pretty sure most national forests dont allow such things, so how/where do people overcome this problems?

Hi Karl, welcome to the group. To properly answer your question I would need to know more about you. Your age, what you do, etc. The point is that simply going out into the woods for a couple of months is not a true "survival" situation. That occurs when your life is in serious peril and I cannot imagine anyone going out and doing that as their idea of fun. However, if your talking about "living off the grid" and honing survival skills, well that's a different matter.

KarlMalone
07-16-2007, 12:12 AM
I am 20, live in California, right now I build motorcycles for a living. By survival I mean living off the land, camping gear just a very few essentials. My main question at this point is where can I do such a thing.

Sarge47
07-16-2007, 12:16 AM
I am 20, live in California, right now I build motorcycles for a living. By survival I mean living off the land, camping gear just a very few essentials. My main question at this point is where can I do such a thing.

You're talking about living "off the grid". Good question. I'm not sure at the moment, however you want to be careful when you do decide to go as the most dangerous enemy out there is your fellow man.

KarlMalone
07-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah, thats what im worried about, trespassing. I cant come up with any ideas on where to do something like this.

Sarge47
07-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, thats what im worried about, trespassing. I cant come up with any ideas on where to do something like this.

You'll need to do some homework. Some parks may allow it, some won't. Also there are a number of backpacking trails that you might check out, you don't have to stay on the trails. Check it all out.

owl_girl
07-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Alaskas awesome! Its warm in July and August depending on what part you go to. Its not all tundra, for example in south east Alaska there’s the lush green Tongass rainforest. You have plenty of wilderness that’s free to camp on. Plus its vary pretty. Perfect place for honing survival skills. But don’t go on the mud flats. The ocean beach is safe so long as its not a muddy one.
http://www.princessjobs.com/uploadedimages/Juneau(1).jpg http://www.akcf.org/_images/_about_acf/BrotherhoodParkJuneauMendenhallGlacierTongassbyKi. jpg

KarlMalone
07-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Alaskas awesome! Its warm in July and August depending on what part you go to. Its not all tundra, for example in south east Alaska there’s the lush green Tongass rainforest. You have plenty of wilderness that’s free to camp on. Plus its vary pretty. Perfect place for honing survival skills. But don’t go on the mud flats. The ocean beach is safe so long as its not a muddy one.
http://www.princessjobs.com/uploadedimages/Juneau(1).jpg http://www.akcf.org/_images/_about_acf/BrotherhoodParkJuneauMendenhallGlacierTongassbyKi. jpg

Right on, Im willing to go almost anywhere but alaska its just too far away. Do you have any other suggestions for places?

owl_girl
07-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Umm Canada is a little closer but not much. I’ll have to do some research to fined a closer location.

KarlMalone
07-16-2007, 01:49 AM
id very much appreciate it.

owl_girl
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
In a lot of Californian parks a wilderness or backcountry permit is required for camping outside of campgrounds. Permits are usually free from what I’ve seen, talk to the park headquarters to get one and to find out what there requirements are. This website talks about Backcountry Camping near the California Salmon though there is a 30 day limit for backcountry campers. http://www.california-salmon.com/cs-camping.htm

syllamo
07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I suppose that the question would depend on your level of disconnect required. Myself, I am leaving on a journey to South America on the 31st for 3 months.:)

Rocky789
07-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Karl Marlone im looking to do the same thing and am having the same problem, I live right in the middle of the east coast and just cant think of a area thats close by, Im a fairly experienced person in the area of survival related skills and can only say my biggest inexperience is with skinning animals, making ropes, and herbal medicines but have no worries other then those about my capabilities. Right now its just finding someplace close by, maybe to stay there for a week or two just to check it out before I make any kind of commitment.
But I have actually heard that in california Andrew Molera Park is a place where one can do some off the grid living but probably only for a short amount of time.

KarlMalone
07-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Karl Marlone im looking to do the same thing and am having the same problem, I live right in the middle of the east coast and just cant think of a area thats close by, Im a fairly experienced person in the area of survival related skills and can only say my biggest inexperience is with skinning animals, making ropes, and herbal medicines but have no worries other then those about my capabilities. Right now its just finding someplace close by, maybe to stay there for a week or two just to check it out before I make any kind of commitment.
But I have actually heard that in california Andrew Molera Park is a place where one can do some off the grid living but probably only for a short amount of time.

Glad to see im not the only one with the same problem. One possible solution I can think and what im trying is advertising to rent land from somebody with a large ranch, havent found anything yet but I think thats my best bet.

LiL' bunny fufu
07-16-2007, 11:21 PM
ill try 2 send u a link

LiL' bunny fufu
07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
http://www.parks.ca.gov

LiL' bunny fufu
07-16-2007, 11:26 PM
try it mabey there is some info there

rusty_oxydado
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Try in N. Ca. Marble Mountain Wilderness area, "Lovers Camp"
It is a roads end trail head to the high country and some fantastic high country lakes. When you find an area you are interested in , notify the local rangers you will be in the area, and the general area you will be messing around in.
Any areas with extended trails it is expected there will be some amount of camping going on, call and talk to your local ranger, and ask for suggestions if you are not too sure of good areas to set up camp.
If you are just going to go somewhere and step off the trail to undomesticate yourself, then what is the question? You lay low, keep quiet, and keep a vigolent eye on your back trail.

donny h
07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Just some thoughts on possible locations:

Leave Ca., there's too many people to ever get away from them all, and the gun laws may interfere with your plans, Canada is out too, also because of gun laws.

Alaska isn't just expensive to get to, it's expensive once you're there.

Aviod any sort of parks, period. They will have too many rules.

I'd look for BLM or national forest land, in a state without a lot of extra rules imposed by BLM or forestry officials, you'd think they would be the same from state to state, but they are NOT.

West Texas is wide open, but living off the land out there is a good way to wind up skinny. Maybe skeletal.

If your just looking for a forest you can disapear into for a summer, without a vehicle to complicate matters, then there are lots of forests in the west that are both big and remote enough, IF you leave the forest before the fall hunting seasons.

Surface water is a problem in many places in the west. For that reason, Arizona would be tough, as would most of Nevada, southern Utah, and western Colorado.

Possible mountain ranges: Uintahs, Wind River, Bitterroot, or one of the 80(!) ranges all over Idaho.

Oregon and Washington both have more people and more rules/laws than the mountain west, Colorado isn't as wide open as it used to be, even Utah is getting more crowded.

I would focus on Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana, their combined population (2mil) is 2/3s that of just Orange County in California.

Rocky789
07-21-2007, 10:17 PM
It can be a little difficult nowadays to find a place you can use like that especially someplace where you can actually be really comfortable living in without much worries. Anymore most of my trips are I find some place in the mountains where I know people are (usually a large lake) and then I find a road about 12-15 miles away from it where I can just get dropped off on the side of the road by a friend (especially need someone that knows where you are and what you are doing) and then just hike from that spot to my destination with nothing but woods in between and not seeing another human for a couple days. Not quite what you are looking for but it really does work on your skills and gets some adrenaline rushing through your blood.

wareagle69
07-24-2007, 04:22 PM
karl, welcome

now, i used to live in arizona to me flagstaff is the best way and close to get away . now as a us citizen you are allowed to live in the national forest in one spot for up to 30 days the beuty of flagstaff is that their are two national forests side by each the coconino and the kaibab when i was in my twenties i would live for 3 to 4 months at a time in either location, and rarely if ever see a government official so if they aint seen ya then they dont know how long you have been around and their is lots of water around ya just need to know where to find it, if the shiznit ever hits the fan that is one of my get away spots, of course living in northern ontario im in a good spot

rusty_oxydado
07-25-2007, 01:48 AM
KarlMalone;
Maybe you would like to do a little moving around, like making a run to Alaska on a bike. Take the
Alcan hwy. to point Barrow, to toss a rock in the Artic Ocean.
Wide spots all along the road to toss out your bed roll, excellent fishing all the way what is to want?
Texas ranches has what they call hunting leases or deer leases, you pay about $50 an acher. So you have to bring your water in with you. No season on wild hog, and no bag limit. I would suggest hanging a tarp on tee pee poles rub the meat down in salt and spice hang in the tee pee, and set a small fire to smolder, the idea here is to smoke instead of cook. Set the smoke every day, to help cure, and prevent the bugs from ruining the meat.
Should be plenty to keep you full your time in the back country.
Two ideas, some suggestions. Rusty.

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Consider Oregon Or Washington, lots of open forest there

ultraviperman
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I think there are a lot of keyboard commanders and city dwellers on this site ;) Not that I'm an expert or anything!

Going anywhere trying to live off the land(even if its your own the land) is illegal obviously. The authorities don't want you to live off the land. You'd have to trap meat on a regular basis throughout the year if you really wanted to survive of the land for an extended period of time and that is illegal everywhereThey want you WORKING!! for them and they want to use you to make THEM money. Also, were completely overpopulated the planet so if everyone tried to live off the land(not everyone could own a farm. not enough land) there'd be no animals left very quickly, but obviously almost nobody wants to live off the land anyway, so thats a mute point.

"If your just looking for a forest you can disapear into for a summer, without a vehicle to complicate matters, then there are lots of forests in the west that are both big and remote enough, IF you leave the forest before the fall hunting seasons."

HaHa Almost all hunting takes place less than a mile from a road. A lot of these guys shoot from their trucks!!(illegal, but they do it anyway) Have any of you guys ever actually been in the backcountry out west or in canada? Almost all law enforcement is taken place near the roads and entrances to these national parks and national forests. There enourmous area's!! There's only a few rangers patrolling areas that are hundreds of square miles and almost all the enforcement takes place near the roads and entrances. To give you an example eric rudolph was able to hide out in the smokey mountain national park/nantahala national forest area for 5 YEARS fending off a FEDERAL MAN-HUNT! http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/06/18/coolsc.woodsliving/index.html

That area in there is not nearly as remote as area's out west or in Canada and gets millions of visitors a year(almost all who stay in campgrounds and never venture into the backcountry and the ones that do stick to the trails). As for gun laws....what do you need a gun for??? Trapping is 1000 times more effective with modern traps like a connibear and real metal snares. Forget all those boy scout traps like a spring snare tied to a tree with a piece of cordage. There mostly ineffective and will never get you the bigger game that you NEED.

"I'm not sure at the moment, however you want to be careful when you do decide to go as the most dangerous enemy out there is your fellow man."

LOL! You have a greater chance of being killed by a bee than being murdered by a person. Oh and the risk of being attacked by animal is real in western canada. Black bears account for a lot of fatalaties in northern remote B.C. Cougar attacks are on the rise because their making a comeback after years of hard hunting pressure. True western canadian wilderness bears WILL prey on you. There a different animal in Canada(where I live) than in the U.S. I know this sounds strange, but I'd rather run into a fed bear than a wilderness bear. Not that feeding bears is a good idea!!!, but Here's a very good link that isn't filled with left wing bear loving propaganda that will explain what I mean. http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/bears/17275/3

I myself would like to try living off the land. I have ALOT to learn and practice though first. I'm a beginner. I was just pointing out some of the reality for ya so that you know what your getting into! You can live off the land with bascially no money. It's been done for thousands of years in north america when there wasn't nearly as many game animals as there are now(lots of transition zones have been created by cutting down tree's, thus creating more habitat for deer). Your best bet in the lower 48 would be anywhere thats' a remote national forest out west. Montana is a good idea, but then you have to deal with the grizzlies. Probably best to avoid them if you can. :) Northern california has some warmer area's if your living year round off the land and you don't like to deal with the extreme cold. There's also huge tracts of wilderness in quebec. There's tons of options, but your going to have to travel!

Here's a full list of national forests in the U.S. "http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/main.htm"

Good luck, Check local game laws. and never take more animals than you need to eat!!!

Oh if you want to stay in the northeast, then northern and western maine is your best bet.

trax
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I sure couldn't even read that whole thing, ultraviperman, what big letters you have. It's not illegal to trap where I live,in Manitoba.You write an exam and buy a license, just like for hunting. You can choose your own trapping area if it isn't already taken, or the resource people will assign one. They try to utlize trappers if they think any particular species is beginning to over-populate in a certain area. I think that's the same in the western states, anyway, I know of people trapping in some of those areas.

trax
07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Ultra-dude, you just asked people what they might need a gun for and then rattled on for five minutes about the possibility of bear attacks in just about every area you mentioned? Alrighty then, throw a trap at it. Canadian and American bears don't carry passports by the way.

donny h
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I think there are a lot of keyboard commanders and city dwellers on this site

Even if that's true, it's an insult.

Going anywhere trying to live off the land(even if its your own the land) is illegal obviously.

Not true. Obey hunting regs and camping regs and it's legal. Most forests in the west let you camp in one spot for 14-28 days. Building shelter is more problematic than working around hunting laws.

You'd have to trap meat on a regular basis throughout the year if you really wanted to survive of the land for an extended period of time and that is illegal everywhere

Trapping season in Utah runs from October through April, so no you can't survive year round off of trapping, you will also need to hunt with a rifle/shotgun and fish hooks.

HaHa Almost all hunting takes place less than a mile from a road. A lot of these guys shoot from their trucks!!(illegal, but they do it anyway)

Again, simply not true around these parts. Road hunting happens, but many folks go WAY back into the hills in search of trophy sized deer/elk, they use various means to transport out game: horses, mules, goats, llamas, quads, sleds, and good old fashioned elbow grease.

Have any of you guys ever actually been in the backcountry out west or in canada?

Forests out west? Extensively. Canada? I'll pass.

Almost all law enforcement is taken place near the roads and entrances to these national parks and national forests. There enourmous area's!! There's only a few rangers patrolling areas that are hundreds of square miles and almost all the enforcement takes place near the roads and entrances.

Agreed. Which means that a guy living off the land will likely never see a game warden. Around here, the hunting laws are mostly enforced through roadblocks and anonymous tips, two things that a guy way back in the forest probably doesn't have to worry about.

As for gun laws....what do you need a gun for???

For a while.

LOL! You have a greater chance of being killed by a bee than being murdered by a person.

Agreed, and don't forget mosquitos. I'll protect myself from all of it, by wearing bug spray, avoiding bees, and carrying a gun for the larger mammals.

Just because Canadians aren't allowed to carry defensive firearms doesn't mean that the rest of the world has no reason, or right to.

trax
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Way to go Donny, point by point. Although, passing on some of my country's wilderness areas, you're doing yourself a disservice, but hey, you sound like you're doing ok where you are. I agree 100% with the defensive firearms statement you made. Funny thing, in Canada, our federal police don't have to pass the same exams to carry a firearms as I do. If a cop wants to come to my house and question me about something, how's he going to respond if I'm wearing a sidearm or holding a rifle? and yet, I'm supposed to let him in the door based on the fact that his uniform represents something? The herd mentality makes me shudder.

ultraviperman
07-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Good points donny! Uh as for me insulting by calling them city dwellers and stuff. I wasn't insulting them!! Notice I winked after I said that! and then I said I wasn't an expert! :)

ultraviperman
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
trax "It's not illegal to trap where I live,in Manitoba.You write an exam and buy a license, just like for hunting"

Yeah, I meant illegal to trap year round and to snare deer and stuff like that for survival. Snaring deer(the best way to get a lot of meat effeciently) is illegal everywhere. Trapping here in new brunswick is legal too.

"Canadian and American bears don't carry passports by the way."

LMAO. True, but they have distinct genetic differences and differences in their behavoir due to environment. Did you visit this link?
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/bears/17275/3
The statistics are sobering. There has never been a fatality in nova scotia, yet how many fatalities by black bears in northern/central b.c. in an area with way less people? There's only been one fatality in smokey mountain national park in the past 100 years and the have millions of visitors. They average a couple of attacks a year in remote areas of northern b.c. PLEASE read that article. No point in my just typing the same thing here.

Oh and I meant you don't need a gun to survive(ie obtain food). I was unclear there. Sometimes I have trouble conveying ideas through writing. I type fast and don't pay attention that well when I email and go on message boards. I'll try to clearer in the future. Yes obviously it would be an good idea to carry a 12 guage with slugs if your in bear country, though not essential in eastern area's of the U.S. and it would be absolutely essential to carry a shotgun/rifle in B.C.(especially the northern and central area's)

"Agreed. Which means that a guy living off the land will likely never see a game warden. Around here, the hunting laws are mostly enforced through roadblocks and anonymous tips, two things that a guy way back in the forest probably doesn't have to worry about. "

Yes, and they have numerous methods to catch the poachers. Anonymous tips being number one and also when someone's poaching, they have to sell what they poached(like eagle feathers). I don't want to give anything away, but they have ways. They catch more people at the selling end, than anything else. I hate poachers who try to profit off these animals by illegally killing beatiful eagles just for there feathers.

wareagle69
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
i personally have lived in the national forests of arizona, and barely ever saw a ranger, even if i had seen one and he had noticed that i had been around for more than 28 days he would tell me to move on to the next spot after vacating for 15 days it would be quite legal to come back, what viper dude doesn't realize is that in the us the national forests are own by every us citizen and as long as you dont put up permanate structure you could literaly live your whole life there.

now food is another issue, my philosophy is it aint illeagle if you dont get caught second, is the act immoral,well might not be legal to hunt out of season but it isnt immoral to feed yourself in a survival situation

but now that i live in northern ontario i could just dissapear further up north or even(i shudder to say ) into north qubec

always be prepared

owl_girl
07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
My family has driven from Alaska to the lower 48s 4 times, so I’ve seen a lot of western Canada, lots of wilderness, very pretty, could drive all day and not see another car or person.
In Alaska if you live off the land or if your native you get hunting privileges that you wouldn’t otherwise get, so you could do it and some people do.

nell67
07-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by ultraviperman
Going anywhere trying to live off the land(even if its your own the land) is illegal obviously.

Not in Indiana,you do not have to have a license to hunt or trap on your own property.

Strider
07-31-2007, 06:55 PM
For me, tresspassing isn't all bad. Most people only put up all those annoying signs on trees if they own a bunch of land. Just a month ago, I camped on two islands, the first owned by a rich guy known to chase off people with an uzi, the second owned by a college for sea turtle research- and other things, of course. (The second one we were forced to because a storm came up and our canoes were stuck in the mud cause the tide went out... as planned) We didn't mess around with anything there, didn't go looking for eggs, we just camped and left. As long as you're careful enough and not caught, then I'd do it.

albanian-american
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
if u join the special forces u will learn evasion techniques and survival skills, no one will find u, not even those silly park rangers, special forces is serious business

donny h
08-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Although, passing on some of my country's wilderness areas, you're doing yourself a disservice,

I have no doubt about that, and I may well eat those words one day when I do a trip up the AlCan highway, I guess I get my dander up a bit when I'm told I don't need a gun, not needing a gun and not being allowed to have one are two different very different things.

The herd mentality makes me shudder.

Ditto.

donny h
08-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Uh as for me insulting by calling them city dwellers and stuff. I wasn't insulting them!! Notice I winked after I said that! and then I said I wasn't an expert! :)

No worries, ultraviperman.:)

trax
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
if u join the special forces u will learn evasion techniques and survival skills, no one will find u, not even those silly park rangers, special forces is serious business

You wind up dead or maimed in some faraway jungle or desert, probably fighting for someone from Abu Dhubai's right to keep charging what they do for gas or some damn thing. The military has awesome training, and I admire every person that serves their country, but let's not forget that the people who give you that training expect something in return, military service. I've met some tough people in my life, but none of them were bullet proof.

trax
08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
I guess I get my dander up a bit when I'm told I don't need a gun, not needing a gun and not being allowed to have one are two different very different things.

Ditto.

Personally sir, I wish you'd immigrate, we need more voters telling our federal pols that exact thing.

wareagle69
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
albanian american

if you sevre in the special forces, you can get some of the best training in the world(if its in the budget) then some dumb *** general uses you as he would basic infantry and you end up dead or with shrapnel in your a**

Fog_Harbor
08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Actually, there's enough land in the state of Texas alone to give every man, woman and child on the planet a 2/3rds acre plot of land.

A gun in hand is much better than ten on the other end of the phone line.

owl_girl
08-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Actually, there's enough land in the state of Texas alone to give every man, woman and child on the planet a 2/3rds acre plot of land.

A gun in hand is much better than ten on the other end of the phone line.
I agree, I don’t think we’re over populated, maybe a bit inefficient, but there’s a difference. Although I'd like to see where you got those statistics.

HOP
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
You might consider a long canoe trip stopping and seting up camp then hunt and fish within the law, if planed right this could fit your wants very well. I have canoe camped a lot in the past and there is a lot god times that could be taken to a primative level. Just plan well.

go2ndAmend
03-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Any National Forest in the Western U.S. would be a good choice, especially in winter if you have the skills. Marble Mountains are great. I try and take a solo winter excursion every year. Just me, my pack, and skis. I've never come across another sole once I've left the road. Start slowly, maybe a weekend outing with a friend and build your skills and confidence over time. The best things in life are free!

tunick001
03-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Try the Nantahala National Forest in western North Carolina

Stony
03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
well, if you are dumb enough to enlist then don't complain after the fact.

crashdive123
03-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Stony - you probably don't want to travel down that path.

canid
03-20-2008, 09:47 PM
the biggest problem as i see it is not the general overpopulation, but our trend towards super-concentrated pockets of extreme overpopulation [the urbanization trend]. if every household on earth where willing to live in a rural, mostly forrested environment, no close than 1/8 mile apart, we could probably still have more wild places, of greater scale and still maintain a lower consumption. then again, if everybody gardened and nobody drove this would probably still be eden. here's to wishing.

Alpine_Sapper
03-21-2008, 08:57 AM
the biggest problem as i see it is not the general overpopulation, but our trend towards super-concentrated pockets of extreme overpopulation [the urbanization trend]. if every household on earth where willing to live in a rural, mostly forrested environment, no close than 1/8 mile apart, we could probably still have more wild places, of greater scale and still maintain a lower consumption. then again, if everybody gardened and nobody drove this would probably still be eden. here's to wishing.

*GASP*
You mean no starbucks? No McDonald's? No crowded apartment complexes with tejano blaring all night long? eeeeeek! :eek:

/falls over from heart attack.

Rick
03-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Earth has approximately 6,671,226,000 human inhabitants as of July 2007. Projections indicate that the world's human population will reach seven billion in 2013 and 9.2 billion in 2050. Most of the growth is expected to take place in developing nations. Human population density varies widely around the world, but a majority live in Asia. By 2020, 60% of the world's population is expected to be living in urban, rather than rural, areas.

It is estimated that only one eighth of the surface of the Earth is suitable for humans to live on—three-quarters is covered by oceans, and half of the land area is either desert (14%), high mountains (27%), or other less suitable terrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Human_geography

Living on that barge just might offer some solitude.

Alpine_Sapper
03-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Stony - you probably don't want to travel down that path.

Suuuuuure he does...I've set out the welcome mine...er, mat.

explodingearth
04-06-2008, 11:10 PM

i saw a show about how a big group of rangers got owned on a hill by a defensive camp of middle easterners WAY TO GO RECON TEAM... sad really

Alpine_Sapper
04-07-2008, 05:59 AM
i saw a show about how a big group of rangers got owned on a hill by a defensive camp of middle easterners WAY TO GO RECON TEAM... sad really

Not that this really has to do with Primitive Living, but, a well fortified entrenched defensive position that's well provisioned can hold out almost indefinitely against armies 10 times it's size. Usually until supplies run out, unless they can somehow re-supply. History has proven this time and time again. If the Rangers couldn't get an air strike, or for some reason it was ineffective, or course their going to get owned. They may eventually take the position, but the cost is usually not worth the gain. Go rent "Hamburger Hill" if you don't believe me.