PDA

View Full Version : Lost one - Made Another

Ole WV Coot
04-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I temporarily "misplaced" my Buck skinner while taking inventory last week. It hid somewhere in the house along with a Beretta Mod. 25 22LR. Until it comes out of hiding I made a Nessmuk style out of a 10" saw blade. I heated the blade to non magnetic and hit the 30w oil, torched & cleaned the upper 1/3 of the blade, epoxied and used a brass welding rod for a couple of pins with cherry scales. Long story a little shorter, the blade would probably break if I dropped it, but it is like a 4" razor and I do believe for skinning and camp use, especially cooking this is the best knife shape I have ever used. Any opinions on a better shaped blade, I have a few more old saw blades and might try something different.:D

Alpine_Sapper
04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
I temporarily "misplaced" my Buck skinner while taking inventory last week. It hid somewhere in the house along with a Beretta Mod. 25 22LR. Until it comes out of hiding I made a Nessmuk style out of a 10" saw blade. I heated the blade to non magnetic and hit the 30w oil, torched & cleaned the upper 1/3 of the blade, epoxied and used a brass welding rod for a couple of pins with cherry scales. Long story a little shorter, the blade would probably break if I dropped it, but it is like a 4" razor and I do believe for skinning and camp use, especially cooking this is the best knife shape I have ever used. Any opinions on a better shaped blade, I have a few more old saw blades and might try something different.:D

That's cool. I'd like to see a pic.

On another note; sooooooo....you lost the gun too?

Rick
04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Too bad they don't have a key fob so you can just hit "panic" and find them.:)

Alpine_Sapper
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Too bad they don't have a key fob so you can just hit "panic" and find them.:)

That is one hell of an idea.

"OMG, I cant find my stockpile! I SWEAR I buried it ten paces from the oak stump!"

"Hold on a second" *fishes for keys, pushes button, car alarm starts blaring from the middle of nowhere* "There it is. Wrong stump."

Only issue is a 12V power supply that will retain a charge when sitting out in the woods, but that should be easily solved.

Ole WV Coot
04-03-2008, 09:08 AM
This wasn't a senior moment it was a senior week. Now to try and find the digital camera, I may get lucky and find the pistol and skinner while looking for it.

Rick
04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, if you find the camera then take a picture of the gun and knife so you know where you left them.

Alpine_Sapper
04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
That is one hell of an idea.

"OMG, I cant find my stockpile! I SWEAR I buried it ten paces from the oak stump!"

"Hold on a second" *fishes for keys, pushes button, car alarm starts blaring from the middle of nowhere* "There it is. Wrong stump."

Only issue is a 12V power supply that will retain a charge when sitting out in the woods, but that should be easily solved.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but while thinking about this (how to get the power supply done) it dawned on me that this probably wouldn't be bad idea. If you have the funds for a cheap throw-away cell phone, and your stockpile is located where you can get cellular access, you could use a cheap $50 car alarm so you can always find your stash, and then set it up so that the magnetic switches are on the lid to your stockpile and will set off the alarm. The cell phone is simply to notify you in the instance that you're not in the area if someone breaches your security.

Get a big enough power supply and you could even booby trap it with electric shock, so after you get the call, you just drive out and find the perp's unconcscious body next to your stash.

:D:D:D

Ole WV Coot
04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
:D I found the camera, didn't find the Buck or Beretta. I sure am glad there aren't any kiddies around. That ain't the greatest pic in the world but you can see the blade shape. Had to make a sheath, too darn sharp without one.:D

trax
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice knife Coot.

beerrunner13
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Very nice Coot how long did that take you?

canid
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
nice; home-madie goodness.

Ole WV Coot
04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
It took about 8hrs to finish, counting the time spent looking for stuff to make it with. I wanted a blade shape for camp & cooking that stayed sharp. I made this for a working knife only and to try that blade shape. It's hardened like a razor and about as brittle, softened the back some with over 1/2 kept pretty cool. The sheath was to protect the edge and my body. I guess I will make another since I like the blade shape but will draw it down so it won't break when I drop it or have the blade chip out. Rick I couldn't find the Buck or Beretta to take a pic but it don't matter I misplaced the camera anyway(nother senior moment)

beerrunner13
04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Nice work I couldn't do that in a week

Alpine_Sapper
04-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Nice work I couldn't do that in a week

lol. Me either. Nice knife, Coot.

Tony uk
04-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Very Nice Knife :D