PDA

View Full Version : Anyone burn coal?

Ranger F
10-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Anyone have any advice on a wood/ coal stove? I got a jotul stove for the cabin. Looks like a small wood stove but there's a removable hopper that hangs in the center of the stove to "feed" the coal into the shaker grate. Not sure if I need rice coal or chestnut coal? There's about 1"-2" gap under the hopper to the grate. I'm worried the smaller coal will just pour out of the hopper if it's too fine. Do I need hard coal? Peat coal? This is gonna tale some learning I'm sure but I don't want to buy 1/2 ton of the wrong coal? 9568

randyt
10-19-2013, 06:42 PM
My parents owned a trailer court in east Tennessee. Anyhoo there was a railroad spur that went into the property. There was a old spar mill there years earlier. The railroad would back cars into the spur and off load coal. A few of the residents burned coal from this pile. The coal was about the size of gravel. What I would do though is consult with the coal yard and go by their recommendations.

Ranger F
10-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanx, gonna call them Monday, thanx

Old Professor
10-24-2013, 10:16 AM
It has been many years since I have burned coal, although I grew up with a coal burning furnace. My last experience with burning coal was in a free stranding fireplace, which would be similar to your jotul stove. My father had been a coal miner in his younger days and recommended a type of coal called CANNEL Coal. This is about the same as coking coal that the steel industry uses to smelt iron ore. It leaves only a fine gray ash when it burns. I was able to buy it from a small coal dealer in western Pennsylvania. This was when I was and still am living along Lake Superior, which is a long way from coal country. At that time many local people still heated with coal and a local hardwear store sold 25# boxes of Cannel Coal. Havn't seen any for sale up here in many years but you might inquire with coal dealers in your region.