PDA

View Full Version : Anyone goes Geocaching?

mbarnatl
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I took my daughters Geocaching and was wondering how many others on this site geocache. I was really glade the first time I went out that I had a backup compass and map. Heavy tree coverage made the gps useless.

I am planning on to start to put in various survival equipment in caches we find. I see so many geocachers going into the woods without a survival kit. I have had several people ask why I need a survival kit when we only walked two to four miles. Then five minutes later ask....do you have a couple of spare batteries, my gps just died because I forgot to put new ones in before I left. Jeeesh... don't you know your back to the car? Yes it is saved on our gps! Then they just realized what happened. On the way back to the cars we got lots of questions on what you need in a kit.

Also, I found out that this was a good way to test out some of my equipment in my survival kit.

Tony uk
07-15-2007, 06:26 PM
What is Geocaching ?

mbarnatl
07-15-2007, 06:32 PM
"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache." - from www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/faq/)

Tony uk
07-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Cool :) , i dont see any in scotland tho :(

nell67
07-15-2007, 09:30 PM
this is pretty cool quite a few going on in my area!

spiritman
07-15-2007, 11:43 PM
It's a blast but I haven't done it much or for a while

bear
07-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I started doing this about a year ago. My son had a class at school on how to use a gps. His teacher told him about the geocaching website and that is how we got started. I bought a gps a few years back when I started going fishing in Canada. I never thought I would need one around home but I hardly ever leave the house without one in my truck. They are a great tool and toy to have. bear

Justin Case
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache." - from www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/faq/)

I always wanted to try this ! :) any new stories ?

yes Rick, I know this is an old thread,,

Rick
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Oh, it's not that old. Mbarnatl's daughters have grown up, married and have kids of their own since the last post. But it's not THAT old.

Wise Old Owl
12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
ultimate Geo Cashe - no gps required because they are still out there.....

In 1967, Hiram Walker & Sons launched their "Hide A Case" advertising campaign that involved enticing drinkers to seek out cases of Canadian Club that had been hidden at exotic locations throughout the world. Locations included Mount Kilimanjaro, Angel Falls, Mount St. Helens, and the Swiss Alps. The Mount Kilimanjaro case was not discovered until a Dutch journalist happened upon it in the mid-1970s. A small number of cases, such as one hidden above the Arctic Circle, were never found.

The first "Hide A Case" campaign officially ended in 1971, and a second was started in 1975. This campaign used cases hidden in locations intended to be easier to access, such as in Death Valley and on top of a skyscraper in New York City. This second advertising campaign ended in 1981; between it and the first effort, a total of 22 cases were hidden and at least 16 recovered.[2]

The "Hide A Case" campaign has been revived for 2010. According to the contest website[3], there is a $100,000 grand prize, among other prizes, for the contest's latest incarnation.

Rick
12-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Sho who shez those cases weren't found (hic)?

1stimestar
12-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Me. I own ********* with a great view of Denali (Mt. Mckinley) and am co owner of******.
If you want some fun reading, try the logs of **********.

Edited to add, I only use my gps for geocaching lol. For finding my way around I use a map and compass.

Justin Case
12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Me. I own ********** with a great view of Denali (Mt. Mckinley) and am co owner of ***********.
If you want some fun reading, try the logs of **********.

Edited to add, I only use my gps for geocaching lol. For finding my way around I use a map and compass.

Thats Cool ! looks like fun,, :) Its a bigger hobby/sport than I thought,,,

1stimestar
12-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry, I thought it was only commercial sites we could not post links to. There's nothing commercial about my geocaches.

Rick
12-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Any site you have interest in.

Wise Old Owl
12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I like geocashing, I found about ten in my area and they appear to be loaded with toys for kids and those dog tags. It was funny to see a location where I had been before and not know there was a cashe hiddin there. But if the norm is to hide plastic toys - then I am not interested.