PDA

View Full Version : Tayho - Pork Butt Question

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Tayho, when do you glaze (if you do) your pork, at what internal temp do you do it? With my BGE, it tends to turn very dark but does not burn. Any suggestions?

I'm threw two on the grille this morning at 6:00am.

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Bragg,
I do pork shoulders the way the do in the Carolinas for pulled pork sandwiches. I try to keep the smoker temperature as close to 225 degrees F. as I can and use one of those remote thermometers that tells me both the internal and external temperature of the meat.
I just keep it going till the internal temp hits 180 - 190 degrees F. Usually takes 14 - 18 hours.

I never put sauce on my pork shoulders while in the smoker. I shred the meat and mix a "cider vinegar, butter, brown sugar, red pepper flakes" mixture to it, but sparingly. I keep some to the side to add later to my sandwiches.
There is another sauce I make that is more traditional bbq sauce which I like better than anything.

A couple of very important things that you probably already know, but just in case.
Before you put the meat in your smoker (pork shoulders, ribs etc), make sure they have come up to room temperature, or close to it. The other thing is make sure you have dabbed all the moisture off the outside. I usually use a little fan. What this does is allows the smoke to penetrate better as well as prevent getting that bitter taste you sometimes get.

Sometimes I get lazy and use my cabinet smoker for my pork shoulders where I load up the cast iron chip holder with as much wood chips/chunks as it will hold. I set a hot plate under it (you'll have to improvise) and set the chip holder right on it. Get it going and only use that for about the first hour after it starts smoking. Then you can remove the hot plate and fire up the propane and smoke it like you would anything else.
There is the argument that meat will only obsorb the smoke for about the first few hours and then it is just a waste of wood, but I usually keep that box filled for 5 to 6 hours at first.

I don't use a water tray, although I do put a large aluminum pan under to catch the drippings.. there is usually a lot.

I have to do something here right now, but I'll get the two recipes I have for the sauces I use as well as see if I have any pictures of the pork shoulders. I know I have some of ribs.

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Check...check...check...all is good.

I found these in the freezers while pulling out all the beef roasts a couple days ago. After the jerky was done I threw these on the smoker for the night and put them on the BGE to finish them off this morning at 6:00am. I glazed them at 11:00 with internal of 168 degrees. I should be able to pull out in an hour or so.

I want to just pull the bone on one and slice it for sandwich meat for the kids. The other I'm gonna drop off at the neighbors as they have been sick the last few days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/buttsnapples-004.jpg

Rick
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
(cough)(sputter)(sneeeeeeeze). I'm not feeling to good either......(cough).:o

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh man... that's some pretty looking stuff!!!
Here's the recipes I use for my sauces. I wished I could take credit for inventing them, but I can't. The first one I've used for as long as I can remember. The "finishing sauce" is just the typical one used in the Carolinas, the "cradle of pulled pork"

This bbq sauce is great for pork and buffalo wings as well as bbq beef. What you never want to do is put this sauce on until the last 20 minutes of cooking if you are using a pit. Due to the tomato product and brown sugar it will burn. I always put the sauce on at serving time. I've used this recipe for almost 25 years.

Single Recipe

1 cup of catsup
1/2 cup +1 TBSP of Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup of Worchestire sauce
1/3 cup of dark brown sugar
1 heaping TBSP of cornstarch (sometimes I don't put much cornstarch if I don't want it thick)
2 tsp of steak sauce
Cayenne and Black pepper and salt to taste.

Put it all in a pot and slow simmer very low heat for 45 minutes stirring often to make sure it does not scorch. I always mix the cornstarch with the vinegar while it's cold so it disolves and then pour in the pot. I triple this recipe up and put in an empty clean plastic catsup bottle. Real nice to squirt out and it'll keep a long time in the ice box. If you do double or triple the recipe, leave the cornstarch at the same amount as above. After you make it a few times you'll know the consistency you want and can adjust it. I use a metal wisk to stir this so it smoothes out any lumps.

I usually multiply this recipe and make batches to put in mason jars for the summer.

Pulled pork finishing sauce

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible, at least 1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Some of my ribs, unfortunately not today.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/Forums%20and%20Message%20Boards/Ribs.jpg

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Your first recipe sounds good for jerky. I'm gonna try both next time.

After smoking I painted them with butter and generously dumped on Dizzy Pig dry rub. The glaze is just an old apple sauce recipe I've used for years. It could be the cause of the dark color when finishing.

I cancelled the weekend brisket cook (not enough people confirmed) so I'm go with pork ribs.

On your ribs Tayho, do you separate at the end of the cook and throw them back on for a few minutes?

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Your pictire answered my question.

Looks frikken awsome!

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
On your ribs Tayho, do you separate at the end of the cook and throw them back on for a few minutes?

No Bragg, what you see there goes right to the plate. Those bones pull right out. The other thing, and I think I mentioned this the other day, I do not boil my ribs before smoking them. Some people do and to me that has got to be one of the nastiest tasting style of ribs to put in one's mouth. I know a lot of restaurants do that because of the time to "properly" do ribs. That's one of the reasons I never eat bbq ribs in restaurants unless I know they don't boil.

Will be back later. Need to get my chores done.

Alpine_Sapper
04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
No Bragg, what you see there goes right to the plate. Those bones pull right out. The other thing, and I think I mentioned this the other day, I do not boil my ribs before smoking them. Some people do and to me that has got to be one of the nastiest tasting style of ribs to put in one's mouth. I know a lot of restaurants do that because of the time to "properly" do ribs. That's one of the reasons I never eat bbq ribs in restaurants unless I know they don't boil.

Will be back later. Need to get my chores done.

I've never seen anybody boil ribs...Ugh. Are you sure you don't mean braise?

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Boiling ribs should be illegal and is most certainly immoral. The last couple minutes of cooking I separate on the grill and brush with light butter and turn them on their sides very quickly. My kids like them better that way as they are already cut up when they come off the grille.

Here is a pic of ribs I done last summer. It was a 2am thing after a few wobbley pops. Some of my best cooks were when I was half corked. :D

I got to head out and slice up more jerky and get some work done around here too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/xmas07ribs_1_web.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/xmas07ribs_3_web.jpg

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Alpine... No.. I mean boil. It is a common practice in restaurants. They don't boil them for long. Very few people want to take the time to do ribs the way "hard core "qu-ers" do them, so the short cut to tenderness for them is to par boil or boil, which ever term you want to use.

Bragg... think you were right the other day that if you and I lived next door to each other, we'd be pretty fat. haha

crashdive123
04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
OK, now I need some ribs. - cough, cough - I think I'm catching what Rick has. Bragg?

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Here is a pic of my ribs done with no glazing, just a dry rub (Dizzy Pig - Swam Venom) and real unsalted butter. Alder, apple and cherry wood was used to smoke these ribs on my coverted rib rack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/BBs.jpg

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Here is a pic of my ribs done with no glazing, just a dry rub (Dizzy Pig - Swam Venom) and real unsalted butter. Alder, apple and cherry wood was used to smoke these ribs on my coverted rib rack.

I see you mix your woods up too. I don't use Alder all that much unless I'm smoking salmon. I mostly use hickory, white oak, cherry, apple, and pecan depending on what I have a taste for. All in all for pork, my favorite is usually hickory or white oak. Can't say I like one better than the other.

I make "back bacon" or as they call it down here Canadian bacon which I usually just mix different woods up and use that.

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Some chicken on my homemade barrel pit. This is the only pit I use for chicken.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/Forums%20and%20Message%20Boards/bbq_08_resize.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/Forums%20and%20Message%20Boards/bbq_09_resize-1.jpg

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
How is it to control the temperature?

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Here's a picture of it in it's 3 pieces. Bottom, barrel and lid. There's about a 2 or 3 inch lip on the bottom piece I left. I drilled holes in the bottom, which is raised and then there are some bricks in the bottom which I have a grill sitting on. I usually build little fires from a mixture of lump charcoal and my choice of hardwood, in the case of chicken I use just a little mesquite, but burn it down to coals.
It can get really hot, so I have a metal deflector about midways down that the drippings fall on and pass to the sides. A few holes in it so some drippings fall in the fire, but not many. The trick is to use a lot of coals and add as you think you need. This is the only kind of pit we ever used when I was growing up. Never knew what Webers or anything else was.
Hopefully you can make out some detail on this pic.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/Forums%20and%20Message%20Boards/barrelpit.jpg

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Other than my smokers, I use my BGE for everything. Best smoker/grille I have ever owned. I have a 8K DCS stainless grille that I only use for hotdogs....no comparison to flavor. I'd like to buy a mini BGE and convert my Large Egg into a cold smoker using the mini as the source of heat and smoke. Just hook up a metal dryer vent and connect the two together.

With the US dollar dropping the BGE's have dropped 45% in the last year alone. For normal gilling I make my own lump coal in a 55 gallon drum using Hemlock from my land and old hardwood pallets that I get from my buddies business.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/DSC02081.jpg

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Here's a picture of it in it's 3 pieces. Bottom, barrel and lid. There's about a 2 or 3 inch lip on the bottom piece I left. I drilled holes in the bottom, which is raised and then there are some bricks in the bottom which I have a grill sitting on. I usually build little fires from a mixture of lump charcoal and my choice of hardwood, in the case of chicken I use just a little mesquite, but burn it down to coals.
It can get really hot, so I have a metal deflector about midways down that the drippings fall on and pass to the sides. A few holes in it so some drippings fall in the fire, but not many. The trick is to use a lot of coals and add as you think you need. This is the only kind of pit we ever used when I was growing up. Never knew what Webers or anything else was.
Hopefully you can make out some detail on this pic.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/Forums%20and%20Message%20Boards/barrelpit.jpg

That looks great! Love to do a suckling pig in your system, it would turn out fantastic.

You got my wheels turning now.......be nice to have one of those by my fire pit for parties. ;)

Rick
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
You have a DCS just for hot dogs? (big sigh. Shakes his head)

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
You have a DCS just for hot dogs? (big sigh. Shakes his head)

It wasnt suppose to be that way Rick It was suppose to be the end all be all type of grille. Didnt work out. My Weber Q at the lake did a better job. It now sits on the deck looking all pretty but useless in comparison.

The wife uses it if I'm late getting home, its easier for her to start and cook.

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I've heard good things about those BGE's. It's just that with everything I have around here, if I get one more pit, my wife would really be unhappy.
I have a Weber gas grill ran a natural gas line to and only use it for quicky things, like steaks, hot dogs, brats and things like that.
I'm always looking for the ultimate set up. A friend of mine in Hope, Arkansas is worse than me. I'll bet he has more pits/grills than anyone else. Ironically he uses them all. The best one he has is homemade. I can't even begin to describe it and am trying to get him to borrow someone's digital and take pictures of it to send to me.

I'll check back later... the "War Eagle" is almost home and I need to finish dinner.

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I'd like to see a couple pics of your friends setup. Be interesting to see since he made it himself.

Every early summer I have a party for my closest clients and cook a large prime rib roast from my best steer. It's butchered and since it's over 1300 lbs I age it 28 days plus. (wait for dark purple) I take the roast before it's froze and throw it on the BGE. After a high heat sear, I slow cook it for 18-20 hours. I'm famous for it and every year it turns out to be a big hit.

After the party I sleep for about two days.....:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/vinnysprimerib-020-1.jpg

Alpine_Sapper
04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd like to see a couple pics of your friends setup. Be interesting to see since he made it himself.

Every early summer I have a party for my closest clients and cook a large prime rib roast from my best steer. It's butchered and since it's over 1300 lbs I age it 28 days plus. (wait for dark purple) I take the roast before it's froze and throw it on the BGE. After a high heat sear, I slow cook it for 18-20 hours. I'm famous for it and every year it turns out to be a big hit.

After the party I sleep for about two days.....:)

I showed my wife this picture and she said she hates you. :D Jealousy is such an endearing trait. :rolleyes:

You two can stop at any time. Otherwise I'm gonna be camping on your doorstep waiting for the next party. :cool:

Seriously though, I think you two should have a get together with the forum members and hold a contest. I don't think anyone here would have a problem being a judge for that. Might be a tie though, and you'd have to have another round or ten on the pit.

BraggSurvivor
04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
LOL, I'm not the freak around here, you should see my German neighbor spread out a feast. He use to own the Bavarian Inn here in town. Unbelievable!

crashdive123
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Judges? Did he say judges? I'm in!!! Please, please, oh please.

Tahyo
04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Bragg... I'd hurt myself eating that roast! Wow, that's a nice looking chunk of meat!

I've been trying to get my friend in Ark. to get me those pictures for the last few months, but like many of my buddies down there, "hurry" is not in their vocabulary. It's sort of an offset type smoker/pit made from some pretty heavy steel. What I liked about it was that he could cram the firebox full of split logs and once it got down to coals, he'd cram more in there and the new logs would only smolder and the heat stayed right at 225 - 250. It wasn't a traditional offset like my Klose.

I'm willing to concede a draw right now on any contests. BraggSurvivor does his "q" the right way, so that's always a winner in my book.
I am really impressed with that pit you are using. I've seen them and heard people talk about them, but I've never seen the finished product with one.

Rick
04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Judges?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/mly0706l.jpg

crashdive123
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Nope. Not buying it. Sapper called for a duel and the judges are lining up.

Rick
04-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Crash - I can eat that roast in......2 minutes. (name that song).

crashdive123
04-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Crash - I can eat that roast in......2 minutes. (name that song).

2 minutes? Ha - amature!