PDA

View Full Version : Spiders in your sleeping bag - ever get bit?

tunick001
04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I've nad a few experiences with spiders, only got bit one time though. That time one got into my pants at night time and I didnt know it and all of a sudden I feel something biting me. It bit me 2 times. I reach in, grap it, and throw it. I've had spiders get into my tent before but luckly never got bit by those. I'm always afriad of spiders getting into my sleeping bags while camping. Especially black widows spiders. That would suck to get bit by a black widow. I was talking to one guy who was camping in the woods and one night while sleeping he got bit by a poisonous spider on his stomach. He had to go to the hospital and he said he almost died.

Rick
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Almost died, huh? Well, there aren't that many poisonous spiders in the US. Of course that doesn't mean you can't be allergic to the venom. Black Widow and Brown Recluse are the two bad ones and they could do you in. Here's some common ones.

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

One time when I was out I felt something on my arm and it was a huge wolf spider. I smacked it. Wrong thing to do. There were 20 gazillion little baby spiders on its back and they took off all over my arm. Talk about freaked out!!!!!! I had spiders all over me. That's about the worst thing I've ever had with a spider. I've seen some black widows but they like to stay hidden in downed wood and such. Of course you better be looking for snakes, too, so I usually see them. AND, I always wear leather gloves when gathering wood.

I was under a house once. Had to work my way past a banana spider and its web to get into the crawl space. About five minutes later I found a huge freakin snake under the house and went bailin' out through the crawl space hole and rolled out on the ground. Then I remember that blasted spider. I never did find it. I sort of pictured it seeing me come at it and hightailed it out of there.

tunick001
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Luckly where I live theres not really many snakes around. I did see one guy get bit by a baby rattlesnake 20 years ago though. I was a kid and we went to this outdoor recreation area near Azusa, CA and found this snake. Some guy comes over and picks it up by his throat. Well some how the rattlesnake gets loose from his fingers and bites him. Well, he was out of there in no time to the hospital. And the nearest one around was like 30 minutes away.

trax
04-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I saw pictures of a guy's hand who got bitten by a recluse spider. I've worn gloves gathering wood ever since and I am very cautious about reaching into any dark, cool places in the warm months. I use my foot to lift my canoe before grabbing it with bare hands. No poisonous snakes around these parts.

nell67
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
My daughter had a very bad allergic reaction to a house spider.

MCBushbaby
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Hemotoxin is some nasty stuff, even a drop from the tiniest spider. I've never been bitten or stung by spider nor bee so I don't even know if I'm allergic. However my dad is highly and carries an epiPen. I'd probably have a melting hand like in the pics online if I was every bit by a spider.

However I mitigate the chances of being bit by keeping my sleeping bag, pack, and equipment in my room - away from dark, cool, solitary places. Of course I give everything a good beating and cleaning before I store it away. My housemate also has two kittens (8 months) who love eating any spiders they find, and destroy any webs within reach, so I feel safe. :)

BraggSurvivor
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
My uncle has a beach house in Vero Beach Florida and about 10 years ago we went down to stay there for a month with the kids. In turn I was to clean up the overgrown back yard and do a little maintenance and painting. When we arrived, we opened the door and took a look around. All of a sudden one of my girls let out a scream. I ran to an upstairs bedroom where my daughter was and when I got there she was pointing up in the corner of the room. It was the biggest spider I have ever seen. With the legs it was at least 3.5 inches in dia. I found a towel in the closet and rolled it up and killed the big buggar. Looking around some more we found two more. Killed them too.

Later that week we were invited over to my uncles house in West Palm for supper and I mentioned his spider problem. His face dropped and he said "You didnt kill them, did you"?

Frikken rights I said, we were not staying there with those big azz spiders.

Turns out he had them specially brought in from South Africa to keep the insects at bay when no one was there. He paid over $350.00 for each spider.

Aurelius95
04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
That would have been a handy bit of information to have prior to your visit there, huh? :)

BraggSurvivor
04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Yea, we had a good laugh. He had compleyely forgotten about them. :D:D:D

trax
04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Man Bragg, for the size of them and at that price you should have at least fired up the ol' barbecue....

beerrunner13
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I get bit all the times sometimes I have a reaction and sometimes not,my brother is allergic and has to carry one of those shot thinggies to and ant or bee will take him out.

We had those big wood spiders at the farm I swear some were almost as big as my hand had them land and crawl on me never had a problem other then spooked me. Scopians will hurt like heck but never put me in the hospital. Widows and recules are part of life I just kill them when I see them. Now fire ants Ihave an issue with and wage war upon them all the time, desite all the high tech poisons they hangs arround I have found hay saly water will get rid of a nest as well as anything, gas and fire are more fun. :D

BraggSurvivor
04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I get bit all the times sometimes I have a reaction and sometimes not,my brother is allergic and has to carry one of those shot thinggies to and ant or bee will take him out.

We had those big wood spiders at the farm I swear some were almost as big as my hand had them land and crawl on me never had a problem other then spooked me. Scopians will hurt like heck but never put me in the hospital. Widows and recules are part of life I just kill them when I see them. Now fire ants Ihave an issue with and wage war upon them all the time, desite all the high tech poisons they hangs arround I have found hay saly water will get rid of a nest as well as anything, gas and fire are more fun. :D

I dont know if the ant mounds here are fire ants or not but I kill the pesky little buggars with bacon grease and a tiger torch. Works like a hot dam and smells good doing it.

Rick
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
No fire ants that far north. You have to see those tiny little beggars to believe 'em. I thought I'd play with a mound once in Texas just to see. They changed my mind in a hurry. Bazillions of 'em came out of the ground like a geyser. Last fire ant mound I played with.

Tahyo
04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I dont know if the ant mounds here are fire ants or not but I kill the pesky little buggars with bacon grease and a tiger torch. Works like a hot dam and smells good doing it.

Bragg, if you're up in Canada, it's doubtful you have fire ants there. I'm originally from southwest La. and was raised around those little devils. I now live in northeastern Illinois and we don't have them here.

I wished I had all the gasoline we use to pour on those mounds set on fire. Never did any good as they dig pretty deep. What is amazing about the damn things is when our pastures would flood, it would flood out the fire ants and they would cling together in huge balls, usually with the queen in the middle. Those things would float around the pasture.

I've woke up many a time with a few in my bedroll.

(I posted this after your post Rick)

Rick
04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Can you say "target practice"?

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Bragg - as others have said, doubtful that you're dealing with fire ants. Although it may be fun to control them with bacon grease and a tiger torch (and smells good), if the ants you are dealing with nest like fire ants, it may not be that affective.

Tahyo
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Bragg - as others have said, doubtful that you're dealing with fire ants. Although it may be fun to control them with bacon grease and a tiger torch (and smells good), if the ants you are dealing with nest like fire ants, it may not be that affective.

Crash, I don't think they ever did come out with anything that was 100% effective to control them, did they? I know way back when I lived down there all the stuff we used just made them up and move a few yards away and build another mound.

Rick
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's their line of offense. The tanks are dug in but the infantry are advancing.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=9165

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Crash, I don't think they ever did come out with anything that was 100% effective to control them, did they? I know way back when I lived down there all the stuff we used just made them up and move a few yards away and build another mound.

They have a few products that work pretty good. I can achieve 100% control of an area using Top Choice, manufactured by Bayer. The drawbacks are if you're doing a large area it can get kind of pricey. Some other effective products are Max Force Fire Ant Bait and Advion Fire Ant Bait (I prefer the Advion)

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Tahyo - When you were chasing mounds it was most likely all from the same nest. The nests can stretch out for over 25 ft. Think of the mound as an air conditioner used to regulate the temp of the nest. If you use something that does a quick kill - ants will not come back to that area and just build a new air conditioner - that's why it feels like you're "chasing the nest".

beerrunner13
04-01-2008, 07:11 PM
the fire extisher thing works ok has a long prod you sove in the mound a few feet and gas the little buggers. My buddy has a lawn service and we do the whole yard tretment for some of his clients and have used pretty much everything on the market. His own yard has them nothing seems to work 100%.

And yes I have seen the floating balls of them here too.Didn't take long to learn don't put your hand on fence posts after heavy rains., they go to the high groun. Until yyou have been nailed by these little buggers you have no idea.

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Beerrunner - tell your buddy to be careful - that's illegal in Florida.

beerrunner13
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
So I have heard we only do frieds and on weekends. I have had the powers that be come check the truck to see if we have the chemicals on the truck.

Tahyo
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Tahyo - When you were chasing mounds it was most likely all from the same nest. The nests can stretch out for over 25 ft. Think of the mound as an air conditioner used to regulate the temp of the nest. If you use something that does a quick kill - ants will not come back to that area and just build a new air conditioner - that's why it feels like you're "chasing the nest".

We had about 300 acres just right behind the house. The local farm bureau use to issue out some stuff for free to all the cattle and rice farmers. (we were both)
Anyway, when you looked out across the pasture, it was just endless ant mounds.

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
We had about 300 acres just right behind the house. The local farm bureau use to issue out some stuff for free to all the cattle and rice farmers. (we were both)
Anyway, when you looked out across the pasture, it was just endless ant mounds.

Top Choice is definitely out - don't think it's labeled for pastures.....and it takes 87lbs per acre. I pick the stuff up in 50lb bags for about $160. Do the math. Baits that are labeled for pastures would probably be the best and cheapest option.

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
So I have heard we only do frieds and on weekends. I have had the powers that be come check the truck to see if we have the chemicals on the truck.

Still should be careful using CO2. I've seen some pretty stiff fines for using something that is not labeled as a pesticed.

Tahyo
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Well I sure don't have to worry about them little red devils anymore. I left La. back in 75 and the closest I get to ants now are the wood ants we see around here.

Excalibur
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I have learned that the war with fire ants is never ending. each fireant mound is connected to the next and to the next and to the next and so on. They dont interact but the tunnels are connected. you pour boiling oil in one hole they retreat tothe other mound plus unique construction of thier hives prevents direct access to the queen. dynamite aside the best option is ortho fire ant poison spread out over the yard and under the house. dig down about 6 inches in a mound (have fun bee keeper outfit works good) and poor a liter of poison mixed with water to form a liquid down the holes bury the top. my neighbor to the south swears that gasoline poured down the hole and igniting it is a good plan (till he burns down the area)

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry Excalibur, gotta disagree with you methods there.

beerrunner13
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I think the person that figures out how to get rid of them will make a ton of money

crashdive123
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I think the person that figures out how to get rid of them will make a ton of money

That's why I own a pest control company.....still waiting on the tons of money thing.

Rick
04-02-2008, 07:30 AM
They way I see it, the south will be little more than a poisonous wasteland inhabited solely by fire ants.:rolleyes:

Oooh, and Formosa termites.:D

crashdive123
04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Ah yes, the dreaded Coptotermes Formosanus.

bulrush
04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey all,
I can tell you from experience that in Northern lower Michigan we have some stinging ants. My grandparents had some, and I got stung by those, and I had some at my house one year, and got stung by those. I'm not sure if they are the same species or genus as "fire ants" found in the south, but they swarm and bite none the less. So it is very possible they have stinging ants in Alberta, though they may not be the official "fire ant".

We also have some red and black ants that do not sting.

We also have large black ants that live in colonies in the sand that can be 3-4 feet across. One year I poured molten wax down a hole, carefully dug out the solid wax, cleaned it up and brought it to school. The science teachers loved it. It showed exactly the shape of the tunnels, complete with dead ants.

Rick
04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Bulrush - Fire ants will bite you but only so they can get a good grip to jab you with their stinger. The stinger is on their abdomen. And if that weren't enough to impress you, then they inject piperidine into the wound. Can you say, "feels like fire"? Hence the name.

Ole WV Coot
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Working for Ma Bell I guess I have been in places with every critter around. Been bitten several times by black widows but not much of a reaction, kinda like a wasp sting. I have been under houses and looked snakes in the eye but avoided them. On a lot of jobs I put on the ole paper coveralls and taped the legs and wrists which seemed to help, wore latex gloves, not heavy enough I know but I can't work with gloves on. Only been bitten by a black snake and I was a kid then. I was told you could grab a snake by it's tail and crack it like a whip and it's head would come off. I gave it a try, snake wrapped around my arm when I jerked it back and tried to have my arm for lunch. I never said I was smart.

Rick
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Oh, man. I squatted down once to work in a pedestal and one of the "cables" started moving. That got my attention pretty quickly.

Here's a little green snake that wanted to watch me work. He crawled through a bullet hole in the sign and just laid his head on the branch and watched me until I finished.

gretagreen
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
that's really scary. I would hate to get any type of insect in my sleeping bag. besides spiders, there's ticks, mosquitos, and other crazy insects.

bulrush
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I was told you could grab a snake by it's tail and crack it like a whip and it's head would come off. I gave it a try, snake wrapped around my arm when I jerked it back and tried to have my arm for lunch. I never said I was smart.

Ha ha ha. That's funny. Do you have that "hoop snake" down there too? The one that grabs its own tail, forms a wheel, and rolls away.

Rick
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Had to use one once when my spare was flat.

tunick001
04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
that's really scary. I would hate to get any type of insect in my sleeping bag. besides spiders, there's ticks, mosquitos, and other crazy insects.

a while back i learned how to prevent that. what i do now is take a lightweight sheet and wrap it around the sleeping bag, like at the top and entrance and over my head so no bugs get in while i sleep.

Trouble
07-12-2009, 12:49 PM
There was a scorpion in my sleeping bag once. A Bark Scorpion, of course. Those are the times when you really need to keep on practicing that habit of shaking out your sleeping bag before you crawl inside.

Rick
07-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I was bitten by a spider a couple of weeks ago. Nailed me on the left hand and I didn't even know it until it started itching. But there were two very nice fang marks oozing blood. I have no idea what kind it was but the bite gave me problems for a couple of days. Finally, the top layer of skin peeled like a sun burn and there is still a light colored spot where it bit me. It's finally healed though.

2dumb2kwit
07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
There was a scorpion in my sleeping bag once. A Bark Scorpion, of course. Those are the times when you really need to keep on practicing that habit of shaking out your sleeping bag before you crawl inside.

I was bitten by a spider a couple of weeks ago. Nailed me on the left hand and I didn't even know it until it started itching. But there were two very nice fang marks oozing blood. I have no idea what kind it was but the bite gave me problems for a couple of days. Finally, the top layer of skin peeled like a sun burn and there is still a light colored spot where it bit me. It's finally healed though.

I heard a "barking spider" last night.:innocent:

Rick
07-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Were you in Australia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_spider

2dumb2kwit
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Were you in Australia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_spider

Nah...I meant the other kind.:innocent:

Colloquial Use
The term barking spider is also used as a jocular reference to an audible instance of flatulence.

Rick
07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Oooooh. That barking spider.