PDA

View Full Version : Homemade laundry detergent

finallyME
09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I guess I could have put this in the DIY section, but this isn't all that complicated, and it relates to general homesteading.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/Homemade%2520Liquid%2520Laundry%2520Soap-%2520Front%2520or%2520top%2520load%2520machine-%2520best%2520value

So....I was perusing youtube and ran into someone making their own laundry soap. I then remember reading about the Duggar's doing the same. For some reason the idea stuck, and I decided to try it out. There are lots of different recipes online, so you can do a lot of tweaking. I just followed the Duggar's as a test subject. The main reason that I never tried to do this before is that I didn't think the items were that common and I really didn't want to try and source them. But, I was way wrong. They were all sitting next to each other on the shelf at Walmart. I found the same to be true at other grocery stores as well. These items are very common. The bar of soap seems to be the most expensive item, since you need a full bar for each 5 gallons you make. But, the Naptha soap was only $.97. I was also able to find Zote soap at Walmart as well, which has twice as much soap for the same price. Total cost for a 5 gallon bucket of soap was under $2. So far, I have only used it for 2 loads. It at least is as good as what we used before, and I think it washes a little better. The wife has been using it to wash all the kids clothes and she says it works just fine. So, I recommend you try it, and see if you like it. It would be cheaper to store these ingredients (and take up less room) than it would normal laundry soap.

woodsman86
09-17-2013, 12:20 PM
My family still uses it. We keep some arm and hammer laundry detergent for really dirty or smelly clothes, the rest are washed with homemade.

I did a how-to on homemade laundry soap a while back.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?18157-Homemade-Laundry-Detergent

I also did a comparrison review.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?18158-Homemade-Laundry-Soap-Comparison-Review

finallyME
09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks...I guess I should have done a search. :)

RangerXanatos
09-18-2013, 08:17 AM
We don't use water and just use it as a powder.

woodsman86
09-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks...I guess I should have done a search. :)

No worries, new threads help to revive old ones.

sim97fan3
12-02-2013, 05:40 PM
My wife has been making this for the last 2 years. I'm amazed more people don't due to how cheap it is in comparison to what can be bought at the store.

NVRDONE
12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I leave mine in a powder and add in a little baking soda. Usually make 50 pounds at a time and it lasts me close to, if not better than, a year.

1stimestar
12-02-2013, 10:47 PM
LOTS of my friends make their own. I don't simply because I do my laundry at work while I'm there and have to have HE detergent for the new machines.