PDA

View Full Version : Guess What time it is?????

nell67
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.thegreatmorel.com/

Yup ,its mushroom hunting time!!!!!!!:D

BraggSurvivor
03-31-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.thegreatmorel.com/

Yup ,its mushroom hunting time!!!!!!!:D

Better bring your snow shovel and touque up here, another 6" of snow and -22 this morning. Not a mushroom in site.

Chuck
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Have to wait until the last 6' of snow melts off of them I'm not doing that much digging.

Rick
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
We'll just have to eat our way north, Nell.

nell67
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Yep,sounds like a long mushroom season for us,eh Rick?!!!!!!!!!!:D

canid
03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
you lucky lady nell. i'm still watin for my chance to go up to oregon. i scoped some great hillsides last winter.

nell67
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm hoping for an extended season this year with all the rain we have had,last year was very bad,we had a very dry year,starting in the spring,and the mushroom hunting was poor.

Ridge Wolf
03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping for an extended season this year with all the rain we have had,last year was very bad,we had a very dry year,starting in the spring,and the mushroom hunting was poor.

Not even the red ones with the white spots??? Hmmm, not very good huntin at all .. :rolleyes:

Still waiting for the snow to melt in the PNW... believe it or not we had snow over the last few days in the lower elevations... I can see the white stuff on the foothills out my window still so I know that it is heavy further up. Hope it doesn't rapidly melt or we will have major flooding..

dilligaf2u2
04-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Please, please. please say it is time for more bacon!

Don

nell67
04-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Don,it's ALWAYS time for bacon,and mushrooms!

bulrush
04-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I just read in a magazine ad about a Bacon of the Month club. How about that, Don?

Wanderer
04-08-2008, 06:28 AM
I truely wish I new more about mushrooms, I would love to go into the woods to hunt for Morels. Problem is I don't know if there are any poisonous morel look alikes, and I don't have anyone 'morel savvy' here abouts to teach me.
Alex

canid
04-08-2008, 07:11 AM
morels are easy, though there is a need to know the false morels, in general the Verpa and Gyromitra species from true morels [the genus Morchella], as they are probably toxic and the effects can be cumulative, even if there is no acute toxicity in most cases.

the good news is that it's relatively easy unless you're a molecular biologist with a nagging need to make things complicated for it's own sake.

the difference between the two arbitrary groups primarily comes down to how the cap is attatched to the stipe. in the false morels, the cap is partialy free and overhangs the point where it joins the stipe.

the best way to learn about mushrooms is to be curious and ovservant and be willing to read. it also helps to have a person around who knows what they're doing, but how then do you know they're not full of it?

check out David Arora's Mushrooms Demystified, second edition the next time you're at a major book store, or buy a copy online. it's worth the 35-40 bucks.

canid
04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
you might also check out Mr. Michael Kuo's site (http://www.mushroomexpert.com). it's as good as many of the better field guides, and it's free to use. the man is great.

if you have a mushroom find and would like a hand identifying it, check out the shroomery mushroom identification forum (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/3). as long as you read the posting rules and follow them, they'll help you identify anything, and i've known many of the people there for years.

Wanderer
04-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks Canid, I'll check through those site's. :)
Alex

amranch
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Over here on Vancouver Island we have the second most Magic Mush anywhere,1st is the Queen Charlotte Islands south of Alaska

crashdive123
04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
A friend of mine (single mom) that lives in Vancouver, BC was telling me a story once. She had alot of mushrooms growing on her property. She never did anything with them but every now and then a neighbor would ask if they could harvest a few. No problems. One night she heard some noises in her back yard. She went out on the 2nd floor deck with a shotgun and turned on the flood lights - two guys and a gal taking all of the mushrooms. She shouted down - "when you're done with the shrooms, the lawnmower is in the shed". Stood there with the 12 ga. watching as they happily mowed her yard at 2 am.:D