PDA

View Full Version : Location, location, location

92GTA
09-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on where to look for land/ranches that would fit what I am hoping for. I'm looking for something in Canada but also open to the U.S....

I'm wanting 25 acres or more, VERY remote with no neighbors, bordering a nature reserve would be preferred. I'm willing to travel 50-100 miles for a tiny little general store. Lots of trees, not so much grasslands, a good mix would be great. A river/creek on the property would be a HUGE plus. I don't want to be snowed in often but snowfall is preferred. If it doesn't already have a cabin built on it I'll build one, along with a couple barns. I'm wanting to have a couple horses, a few bison, some goats, chickens, dogs. I'll be growing as much of our food as possible given the land. I'm of course hoping for an uncontaminated watershed. I'll have some solar and wind for the well. Only power I need is for a couple lights, an emergency pre-paid satellite phone to charge, and laptop/speakers because all I do is listen to music and read/write. I'll be out farming and taking care of the animals dusk til dawn and sleeping soon after nite fall.

I think you guys get the idea. I'm very far from rich and I'll be scraping together everything I can and selling all of my possessions over the next 5 years or so. I can do everything myself, thanks to my parents I'm completely self reliant and have done a little bit of everything in more countries than you can imagine.

Where would you guys suggest is the best location to focus my search? I know the weather is a factor because as I said, while I don't mind snow and am ok with it, I don't want everything on the homestead being snowed in, especially with the animals and growing food as much of the year as possible.

Thanks! Alex

LowKey
09-02-2013, 05:24 PM
If you don't want to be snowed in, where abouts in Canada do you think you can afford to move to. The more temperate areas I hear are rather expensive. More importantly, do you plan on becoming a citizen of Canada?
Good luck with that.

hunter63
09-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Pretty ambitious plan....How much are you looking to spend?
Why Canada?

92GTA
09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
If you don't want to be snowed in, where abouts in Canada do you think you can afford to move to. The more temperate areas I hear are rather expensive. More importantly, do you plan on becoming a citizen of Canada?
Good luck with that.

I honestly have no idea where, I am not familiar with the regions, hence why I am here.

Sure, I have no problem renouncing my British citizenship for the status in whichever country I end up.

92GTA
09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Pretty ambitious plan....How much are you looking to spend?
Why Canada?

I'm not sure, I was going to adjust my plans based on the cost, not the other way around.

Canada because I don't believe Mexico is a good option, most in Canada speak English, and m 2 sons lived in the U.S. so it's not so much of a stretch to visit as it would be if I moved to Europe.

hunter63
09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
With really not much information on how many of you are there, (wife/girlfriend/or partner) and experience in Canada, as far as growing seasons, experience, tools , equipment, occupation/income and a budget....kinda hard to direct you in your quest.

Most land in areas that are easier to deal with, or more temperate, is expensive, and or hard to get to with out a plane, quad , boat etc.
Bottom line is it already taken by a lot of other people that want the same things you do.......Getting out there and do your thing.

Have you picked an area and paid a visit for few weeks , just to get an idea?
Did you do a search in "land for sale".....as not many here are really real estate people, and a lot are looking for the same thing you are.

Just a few comments........

92GTA
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
With really not much information on how many of you are there, (wife/girlfriend/or partner) and experience in Canada, as far as growing seasons, experience, tools , equipment, occupation/income and a budget....kinda hard to direct you in your quest.

Most land in areas that are easier to deal with, or more temperate, is expensive, and or hard to get to with out a plane, quad , boat etc.
Bottom line is it already taken by a lot of other people that want the same things you do.......Getting out there and do your thing.

Have you picked an area and paid a visit for few weeks , just to get an idea?
Did you do a search in "land for sale".....as not many here are really real estate people, and a lot are looking for the same thing you are.

Just a few comments........

I have no experience in Canada. It is just I. I would have about $90,000 U.S. to get started that I can reasonably save up in 5yrs. Boat and quad I can do. I haven't picked an area yet, I was hoping to get some idea from people and then narrow those options down and base my visit on that. I will take a look in the land for sale section, thank you.

Alex

hunter63
09-02-2013, 08:33 PM
We looked for our land in Wisconsin for about 4 years, stayed in camp grounds and visited about a 110 mile square area, before finding and buying our "Place" in 1989, added some more land fronm next door in the late 1990's....added a cabin in 2005.

So if you are gonna just pack up and move, I would look now, then visit a narrowed down area in all 4 seasons if possible, the decide.

This forum is for and about surviving in the wilderness, .....skills, gear, scenarios and possibilities, with homesteading an off shoot.

Not trying to chase you away, just trying to help.
Sounds like you would be more at home in a Homesteading forum......where the goals are more down your road?

92GTA
09-02-2013, 08:54 PM
We looked for our land in Wisconsin for about 4 years, stayed in camp grounds and visited about a 110 mile square area, before finding and buying our "Place" in 1989, added some more land fronm next door in the late 1990's....added a cabin in 2005.

So if you are gonna just pack up and move, I would look now, then visit a narrowed down area in all 4 seasons if possible, the decide.

This forum is for and about surviving in the wilderness, .....skills, gear, scenarios and possibilities, with homesteading an off shoot.

Not trying to chase you away, just trying to help.
Sounds like you would be more at home in a Homesteading forum......where the goals are more down your road?

Thanks, that's why I am starting my search now, so I would be ready in 5yrs when I've saved up.

I'll go look for a general homesteading forum then rather than this sub-forum.

Thanks! Alex

hunter63
09-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Good luck my friend.....Lots of people wanting to do the same thing you wan to do, including me....LOL...
Been a while, been fun, been expensive, but almost getting there...Priceless.

VBenedetti
09-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Hey Alex,

There are 2 easy options to see what is available for sale: www.mls.ca which is a site with all real estate listings from agents and it covers the country. I am from Quebec (living close to the Ontario border) and there are a couple of spots that would fit the description of what you are looking for. The farther up north you go, the cheaper the land (In Ont. and Qc anyway, not sure how it goes out west.)

The other would be www.kijiji.ca which is an ads website where you can pretty much find anything, anywhere.

With a 90k US budget I am pretty sure you could find something half decent.

Good Luck with your endeavours

Cheers!

Vince

Oddmott
09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm probably just across the Ottawa River from VBenedetti, living in Ontario... and agree with everything he says. There are still decent plots available for your budget and apparent usage. Just how far they are from civilization though, I couldn't say as the options are kinda endless.

I know places where that $90K would get you one 1/2, undeveloped acre. And places where that $90K will get you 300+ acres with a sturdy cabin.

Best thing is to come for a visit and plan to stay till you have all the answers. You'll want to retain a good land & title lawyer first to be sure that any land you purchase doesn't have limitations regarding any natural resources, water access or building restrictions.

Determining all that can get a little convoluted.