PDA

View Full Version : Infant Care - The infamous cold

Oddmott
08-19-2013, 10:00 AM
So... my wee one didn't even make it a full 4 weeks before we broke him. :(

Looking for any sort of old fashioned remedies to help a newborn beat a cold. Hopefully some folks here have experience and suggestions.

He can't eat without throwing up due to mucus buildup. We are concerned about dehydration. I got an aspirator and we've been removing all the boogers we can.

Obviously he's too young for any sort of medication, but are there hot/cold compresses that work? Rubs that are effective, etc?

Thanks all!

BornthatWay
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Well do not feel bad. When I had our daughter I had the cold from hell and about 6 days later she had it also. The wives tale is that babies are immune to disease for the first six weeks. Obviously that is not true.
Since I had the cold and a hacking cough they did give me an antibiotic to take and since I was breastfeeding they said she would get enough antibiotic to help her. Not sure that really worked.

I think the best thing is to use a humidifier as much as you can in the room he is in. And keep using the aspirator. Call the doctor and tell him what you said here and see what he or she suggests. Perhaps feed him only a small amount at a time just more often and see if that helps him to keep it down.

Sorry I have no magic answers but that is what I would try.

Rick
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
If you are concerned about dehydration then maybe a check with the doctor is in order.

During the last three months of pregnancy, antibodies from the mother are passed to the baby through the placenta. The baby's immunities from mom will start to taper off after a few weeks to a few months depending on the kiddo. However, if the baby is being breastfed it will keep mom's immunities longer since she passes antibodies through her milk.

That aside, if you are certain it's a cold then it's viral and will generally pass in a week if treated or 7 days if not treated. Seriously, I'd check with your pediatrician to make certain that's what it is and your baby isn't in danger of dehydration as you said.

Mossman
08-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Hope your baby gets well soon! My wife and I are actually expecting our boy any day now.

1stimestar
08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Humidifier and breastfeeding. I like putting a bit of eucalyptus oil in the humidifier.