PDA

View Full Version : OUTDOOR Lighting.........????

Sourdough
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Anyone know a lot about outdoor lighting.........???? Need to light as large an area as possible & MUST work and not break at temperatures down to -30 and would prefer just a single light.

Thank you

Rick
08-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Why not talk to the folks at Lowes and Home Depot in Los Anchorage next time you go to the city? Either can set you up with anything from LED to halogen to metal halide flood lamps. They should be able to tell you what's best in your location, tell you how much they cost to operate and show you examples in the store. They even have motion detector equipped to snap on automatically.

hunter63
08-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I have a couple at "The Place" I just leave on all the time.....just 100 watt incandescent bulbs....it's turning on an off that make them fail, particularly in super cold weather.
Yeah, it does cost a bit....but not as much as replacing bulbs, or having them off when I not there.

randyt
08-18-2013, 05:46 PM
not sure how big of area you want to light up, you mentioned a single light.
Here's a product that works very well to light up a large area.
http://www.ledlighttower.net/

crashdive123
08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Not sure what the best application is for your needs, but keep in mind - LED lighting produces a lot less heat that other sources. Snow may affect them more than the other types.

While not a problem here - areas that have changed their traffic lights to LED's in areas where they get a lot of snow have found that the snow does not melt off the traffic lights like it did before the change. Oops.

Ken
08-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Oops.

Yeah, a lot of our traffic lights are now covered when it snows, particularly in blizzards. The funny thing is, traffic seems to flow better, even during a storm.

Ever notice how traffic gets all messed up as soon as a cop shows up and starts directing traffic? :innocent:

Batch
08-18-2013, 09:12 PM
We use LEDs a lot now and our electrical lighting division has installed some pretty cool lighting set ups. We had a light fixture that was equal to a 1000 watt HPS fixture in light out put. It was painful to be in the same room with it that it was that bright. I don't know what angle you would set the fixture head or if snow would be a problem.

The brightness of LEDs actually increases until the LED reaches -30 C / -22 F and then it levels off.