PDA

View Full Version : One Big Honkin' Rabbit - For Those That Raise Them

Rick
08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
We were at the State Fair yesterday and they had the state winner's for rabbits there. One was a Spotted Giant rabbit that weighed over 12 pounds. There were several other breeds there that all pushed the 10-11 and 12 pound marks but this bad boy was the biggest. He looked like a flippin' puma.

I'll bet if you walked out to his pen with a knife he'd just roll an eye at you and say, "Don't even think about it." Then go back to sleep. If I had hold of him and he got ticked I'm sure I'd be looking for a place to put him down. I don't think I've ever seen a rabbit that big.

They also had some really nice meat rabbits at the show. Not sure I'd want to be in that line up if I were a rabbit but they were all white and actually pretty rabbits.

They had just done the judging on Sunday so almost all of the rabbits were still there. I didn't realize it but they have to be ear tattooed to be shown. One had a butterfly tattoo.....bazinga!

Here's a list of all the rules in case you're interested.

http://www.in.gov/statefair/fair/files/dept409(r).pdf

nell67
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Rick, I grew up showing them,as did my kids. And I have had rabbits that weighed much more than 12 pounds, Flemish Giants are HUGE ! http://indulgy.net/JW/9Y/75/64105994665328945AXkBdCWyc.jpg
I have raised NEARLY any type of rabbit around,and used the flemish to breed to a californian and a new zealand white to see if I could increase their rate of gain to finish them out faster. Other wise I was not a big fan of them,but for the most part they are gentle giants.

nell67
08-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Some info on the Flemish giant, and this lists it as a herbivore, but what most do no realize is that rabbits are actually omnivores,they eat small bugs,worms etc.
DIET: HERBIVOREgrass hays, vegetables
ACTIVE:diurnal
LIFESPAN:8-10 years
OFFSPRING:5-12 young per litter, on average
LENGTH:up to 2.5 feet
WEIGHT:male: up to 22 lbs
female: up to 20 lb

hunter63
08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Hey, big guy....I quit hunting rabbits years ago....so it ain't me, OK....can I go now?

Holy Ship!

welderguy
08-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Its a wonder that the same people that have been miniaturizing everything, ( like horses, and longhorns) haven't figured out a way to make a 200# rabbit yet.

Rick
08-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Well, that's the biggest one I've ever seen in person.

They had the world's largest boar there too. "I have more money than anyone. I have the fastest car. I have the biggest house. I'm smarter than anyone.) That's my annual joke when we get to the pig house. No one that's with me laughs either.

welderguy
08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Ive never seen a rabbit that big in person, I wouldn't mind seeing a few that size when i'm out hunting !!!!

Rick
08-06-2013, 07:30 PM
If I ever ran into on that big while toting a gun I'd be like Hunter and just tell them I was dove hunting and keep walking.

nell67
08-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, that's the biggest one I've ever seen in person.

They had the world's largest boar there too. "I have more money than anyone. I have the fastest car. I have the biggest house. I'm smarter than anyone.) That's my annual joke when we get to the pig house. No one that's with me laughs either.
A friend of mine has a boar named Reggie,3 years ago Reggie went to Texas State fair as the second largest boar in the world,Reggie is from Austin Indiana,the pig is bigger than the town,LOL I haven't seen Reggie's "mom" since I had surgery,sweetest lady ever.

randyt
08-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Not fooling me, that's the Easter bunny.

welderguy
08-06-2013, 10:09 PM
A friend of mine has a boar named Reggie,3 years ago Reggie went to Texas State fair as the second largest boar in the world,Reggie is from Austin Indiana,the pig is bigger than the town,LOL I haven't seen Reggie's "mom" since I had surgery,sweetest lady ever.

GOOD Lord, I had to look that up, he is HUGE, 1450 lbs... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

http://dairystar.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=318&ArticleID=5142

Rick
08-07-2013, 09:32 AM
You should see these things in person. They usually have the largest, 2nd and 3rd largest or some variation at the fair every year. They are the size of a dang pickup truck. It's kind of funny because the rabbit/poultry house the feed is donated. I didn't see a sign to that effect in the pig house. :clap:

nell67
08-07-2013, 11:49 AM
You should see these things in person. They usually have the largest, 2nd and 3rd largest or some variation at the fair every year. They are the size of a dang pickup truck. It's kind of funny because the rabbit/poultry house the feed is donated. I didn't see a sign to that effect in the pig house. :clap:

Her daughter was working in a hostess outlet,and she got a lot of outdated breads and pastries to feed him,yea THAT much fat on a pig is not common especially now with the leaner animals . She has invited me several times to come to her farm to see Reggie,I just could not in good conscious go see him. Everyone is cheering him due to his size,but if that was a dog or cat, people would be screaming. Don't get me wrong,like I said she is a great woman,but the animal could not fend for himself if something happened to the owners,everything he eats is placed in front of his face,he does not get any exercise. his heart has to be ready to explode.

nell67
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
GOOD Lord, I had to look that up, he is HUGE, 1450 lbs... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

http://dairystar.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=318&ArticleID=5142
Thats not even the same Reggie!

http://media.theindychannel.com/photo/2012/08/30/Reggie-Iowa-hog-31347057_62857_ver1.0_640_480.jpg This is the Hoosier Reggie, his "mom" is the lady in the blue shirt.

Rick
08-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Not even my hong would fit him. He'd need a special hog hong I think.

finallyME
08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Rick, you sure like to paint the most hideous pictures.

Rick
08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
I was just trying to point out that you can't make a silk purse out of a boar's hong.......is that right? Yeah, I'm going with it anyway.

MaveRick
08-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I used to raise meat rabbits and if anyone else is thinking about it there are a couple points to consider. The feed to meat ratio on the giant rabbits is very poor and they are very big boned. Every commercial meat rabbit breeder I have seen all raise New Zealand white rabbits. They breed easily and are ready to go to the butcher at about 8 weeks when they are 8-12 lbs. They will grow to 20 lbs. but I found that it it would take 6 months or more to get them to that size.

nell67
08-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I used to raise meat rabbits and if anyone else is thinking about it there are a couple points to consider. The feed to meat ratio on the giant rabbits is very poor and they are very big boned. Every commercial meat rabbit breeder I have seen all raise New Zealand white rabbits. They breed easily and are ready to go to the butcher at about 8 weeks when they are 8-12 lbs. They will grow to 20 lbs. but I found that it it would take 6 months or more to get them to that size.

I have raised HUNDREDS of New Zealand Whites,many from birth till they died of old age and NONE of them ever made it to 20 pounds,EVER. Even the ones I bred to the Flemish giants never made it to that size. I raised the commercially,and for show from the time I was 5 years old until 2 years ago,and at one point I had over 200 breeding does of varying breeds,the only breeds that make it to the 15, 20 + size are the giants. You are correct about the big boned deal,and I have posted to that a few times over the years.

Rick
08-10-2013, 10:46 PM
200 breeding females. Ahhhh. Ahem. Yes, big boned rabbits. They certainly are.

MaveRick
08-11-2013, 07:44 AM
935093509349 I've also raised hundreds of rabbits and some of them DID get to 20 lbs. I guess I'm just better at raising rabbits than some OTHER people.

nell67
08-11-2013, 01:00 PM
935093509349 I've also raised hundreds of rabbits and some of them DID get to 20 lbs. I guess I'm just better at raising rabbits than some OTHER people. I seriously doubt that you are better at raising them than I,I have had grand champions at fairs throughout Indiana and Kentucky,due mostly because my rabbits followed breed confirmation and type,both very important when showing rabbits. 10-12 lbs is breed average for this breed,a 20 lb new zealand is either mixed with another breed or pretty old and sits in a cage day in and day out eating a high fat diet. They certainly are NOT the norm. Nice looking rabbits in the photos by the way.

http://voices.yahoo.com/new-zealand-white-rabbit-one-most-popular-rabbit-1618853.html?cat=4

CivilSurvivor
08-11-2013, 01:07 PM
I seriously doubt that you are better at raising them than I,I have had grand champions at fairs throughout Indiana and Kentucky,due mostly because my rabbit were of correct confirmation, AND more importantly followed breed confirmation and type,both very important when showing rabbits. 10-12 lbs is breed average for this breed,a 20 lb new zealand is either mixed with another breed or pretty old and sits in a cage day in and day out eating a high fat diet. They certainly are NOT the norm. Nice looking rabbits in the photos by the way.

It's not a competition, I didn't really care enough to read the whole topic so I have no clue what's going on, but it doesn't matter.

nell67
08-11-2013, 01:09 PM
200 breeding females. Ahhhh. Ahem. Yes, big boned rabbits. They certainly are. Yes Rick, 200 breeding females,it is how I put meat on the table when my ex was going through the disability process,rabbits and chickens,and when we were lucky the occasional deer. Raising rabbits has always been a passion of mine, and having that many breeders put food on the table,I sold many for meat and the very best sold as show bunnies. Selling bunnies always more than paid for the feed. I hate that I don't have any now,but as soon as I am over my own disabilities, I will be raising again. In the mean time,I am studying organics as a way to feed them without putting the feed store crap in the animals I will raise from here on out.

nell67
08-11-2013, 01:12 PM
It's not a competition, I didn't really care enough to read the whole topic so I have no clue what's going on, but it doesn't matter. You are correct,it is NOT a competition,but after raising rabbits for well over 30 years, I do know rabbits.

Rick
08-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of female rabbits. I was too!

nell67
08-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of female rabbits. I was too! Haha,yea,you were,LOL I beLIEve you. Honest!

CivilSurvivor
08-11-2013, 01:21 PM
You are correct,it is NOT a competition,but after raising rabbits for well over 30 years, I do know rabbits.

Nice. I have almost no experience with rabbits, I've only raised 4, the best weight being 11 lbs. :/

nell67
08-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Nice. I have almost no experience with rabbits, I've only raised 4, the best weight being 11 lbs. :/ Which is an average weight for a meat type rabbit. Meat breeds at full growth weigh in the 8-12 lb range. The giant breeds like the Flemish are more bone weight than meat,and are awkward for most folks to handle. They still are good to eat,you just really are not getting much more meat to consume,plus they take longer to mature to breeding so they are not a very economical rabbit. They consume much more than the average rabbit as well.