PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Manure

BraggSurvivor
03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Where do you guys get your manure for your garden/beds?

Why I'm asking is I have a huge pile (15years worth - guessing 90 yards) and I am looking to sell it. This is premo stuff. Mostly steer and chicken mixed. It is as black as coffee grounds and has a deep rich texture and smell. I turn with the loader bucket a couple times a year to allow air and rainwater to mix.

How much would you pay for a pickup load?

beerrunner13
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry bragg I get mine out of the barn, wish I could sell some. We usualy run it through the spreader in the grove

Rick
03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
My first year in this house I got a pickup load of stall manure to start my garden with. I think I paid $21.00 or something like that. They probably thought one of P.T. Barnum's friends walked in paying for manure but it was a deal to me. That was nearly 20 years ago so I have no idea what it would go for now.

I can't believe you don't have some place on your property that you couldn't start a garden. Anywhere plants grow a garden will grow.

Why couldn't you offer it for sale in your business? You do construction management. Talk to the landscape architect and sell it through him. You'll make a lot more that way than just selling it by the truck load.

BraggSurvivor
03-26-2008, 09:07 PM
My first year in this house I got a pickup load of stall manure to start my garden with. I think I paid $21.00 or something like that. They probably thought one of P.T. Barnum's friends walked in paying for manure but it was a deal to me. That was nearly 20 years ago so I have no idea what it would go for now.

I can't believe you don't have some place on your property that you couldn't start a garden. Anywhere plants grow a garden will grow.

Why couldn't you offer it for sale in your business? You do construction management. Talk to the landscape architect and sell it through him. You'll make a lot more that way than just selling it by the truck load.

I'm completely treed in, no clearing except around the dugout which is really a playgound for the kids. I would have to cut trees down, pull roots, burn piles, pick rocks and prepare soil. Just too short of a growing season and usually 5 degrees cooler all year round than down below. I honestly dont know anyone out here who has a garden. We are not really into it anyways, not enough time in the day now.

Last six years Rick I've been doing government contracts. Just signed on for another 5 years. I really wouldnt want to go there, (liabilities) plus by the time it was trucked from all the way from out here, there wouldnt be any money to be made.

I know the city folks would drive out here to get some (they come for an ice cream cone anyways) but I just dont know how much to charge. Worse came to worse, Id spread it in the bush or along side of the lanes.

Ever watch "Brokeback Mountain"? Some of that was filmed at my place and rest up the road in Kananaskis and Canmore. My nieghbor had the film crew trailers parked on his pasture.

Had a major influx of Conelickers from the city snooping around here and in town when that was happening.

Remember this from the film? The fishing scene was filmed just up stream on top of the falls.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/Quad20020.jpg

trax
03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
If you load it all into boxes and ship it to the house of parliament, I bet we could take up a collection for the shipping costs, or ship it collect they've been selling it to us long enough!

BraggSurvivor
03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
If you load it all into boxes and ship it to the house of parliament, I bet we could take up a collection for the shipping costs, or ship it collect they've been selling it to us long enough!

I approve this message.

canid
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
when i was in san francisco i had a covert supply from golden gate park, near the zoo. they had a gigantic pile of stable shavings [bedding straw, dried urine included, manure, etc swept from horse stables] that i would compost. at other times, i'd get cow or horse manure from friends who kept pastures.

canid
03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
brag, as a note, aerobic composted manure is preeeeemo substrate for mushroom cultivation, and i know people who have made a good part of their living from selling it, packeged in autoclavable bags to home mushroom cultivators. failing that, you could try selling it to one of those people who sell those.

bulrush
03-28-2008, 04:08 PM
If you want to sell it to cone lickers from the city you will need to package it in 20lb bags so they can put it in their trunks, not everyone will have a pickup, or want to get the bed dirty. I think it runs about $1 per pound here at the store for manure.

GVan
03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Where do you guys get your manure for your garden/beds?

Why I'm asking is I have a huge pile (15years worth - guessing 90 yards) and I am looking to sell it. This is premo stuff. Mostly steer and chicken mixed. It is as black as coffee grounds and has a deep rich texture and smell. I turn with the loader bucket a couple times a year to allow air and rainwater to mix.

How much would you pay for a pickup load?

Hey champ,

Why don't you try looking in the newspapers for "mushroom compost".
Riding staables are always looking for a way to get rid of theirs.
If you want you can place a "Wanted" advertisement in your local papers.

canid
03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
ok he's trying to get rid of his, not get more.

wareagle69
03-30-2008, 08:37 PM
you mix the chicken in with it eh? personally i never use bird turd in my compost only ruminates make it into mine..

BraggSurvivor
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Sold it all yesterday to local tree nursery about 25 minutes away.

Gonna buy a new dry suit and silk undies for this dive in two weeks with the proceedings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lake_Minnewanka_11092005.jpg