PDA

View Full Version : So you want to go live in the wilderness…..

Ken
06-22-2013, 07:36 PM
So you want to go live in the wilderness…..

I’ve lost count of the people who’ve joined the Forums and immediately posted that they plan on making the escape from society by living off the land and “surviving” in the wilderness.

The first thing that anyone with ideas like that should know is that we are NOT a sadistic group of people who will encourage you to embark on a suicide mission. However, before we can give you any input, it would really help if we had a profile of the individual seeking our advice. So, here are a few PRELIMINARY questions we should have your answers to if you want a meaningful reply from us:

01. How old are you?

02. WHY do you want to do this? Be honest with us and with yourself. Give details.

03. What type of wilderness/off the grid experience do you have? Give us ALL the details.

04. How familiar are you with the area you plan on going to?

05. Do you have written permission from the landowner to stay and live there?

06. Tell us about any special skills or experience you have that will help you survive.

07. Are you familiar with the hunting-trapping-fishing laws in that area?

08. What type of hunting-trapping-fishing experience do you have?

09. Do you have experience processing, cooking, and preserving fish and game?

10. Are you familiar with the wild edibles in that area?

11. Do you have experience identifying, processing, and preserving those wild edibles?

12. Tell us about your fire-making skills in all types of weather.

13. What fire-making tools are you planning to take with you?

14. How do you plan on collecting, filtering, purifying, and storing your water?

15. What type of temporary shelter are you planning to use?

16. Do you have experience making or erecting that type of temporary shelter?

17. What type of permanent shelter do you plan to construct?

18. How much experience do you have making that type of permanent shelter?

19. Do you plan on raising any crops? Tell us about those plans, and what you know about raising crops in that area.

20. Tell us about the gear, tools, supplies, and other items you plan on taking with you. All of it.

21. How do you plan on getting it there?

22. How will you be travelling?

23. How will you resupply with items that you can’t gather or make once you arrive?

24. What’s your “escape plan” if SHTF or if you become sick or get injured?

25. Are you ready for another hundred plus questions?

Sarge47
06-22-2013, 08:58 PM
26. Do you have a survival knife?

rancher
06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Well that put me off that idea :innocent:

hunter63
06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
27. Loose the attitude, advice given by those that have experience is intended to help you.....even if you don't want it.
28. Don't ask a question then get pi$$ed if you don't agree.
29. We really don't want to hear about another poor soul's family and loved ones grieving for someone didn't make it.

Then if you still want to go and give it a try.....Good luck, and Godspeed, a few member have and returned with pic's.

gryffynklm
06-23-2013, 09:33 AM
#8a Do you have written permission to hunt, Trap and fish on that property?
#15a, #17a Do you have written permission to build temporary or permanent shelter including permission to harvest trees and such?
#30 Do you know how to identify a proper location for a latrine and how to construct one?

Good luck with that.

Sarge47
06-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Have you ever considered what our pioneer forefathers went through to do what you're planning on doing? There's a big reason why they didn't go it alone...even the Mountain men "buddied up!" Wild Indians, outlaws, wild animals, and disease took a lot of them out....:nuke:

welderguy
06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Have you ever considered what our pioneer forefathers went through to do what you're planning on doing? There's a big reason why they didn't go it alone...even the Mountain men "buddied up!" Wild Indians, outlaws, wild animals, and disease took a lot of them out....:nuke:

That right there is my number one reason for not doing it, Im worried to death about them wild indians.

aflineman
06-23-2013, 01:00 PM
That right there is my number one reason for not doing it, Im worried to death about them wild indians.

I get worried every night when I go to sleep (I am married to a Cherokee). Just got to make sure I don't tick her off sometime during the day.:FRlol:

welderguy
06-23-2013, 01:22 PM
I get worried every night when I go to sleep (I am married to a Cherokee). Just got to make sure I don't tick her off sometime during the day.:FRlol:

keep the tomahawks locked up buddy!!!!

Sarge47
06-23-2013, 03:21 PM
That right there is my number one reason for not doing it, Im worried to death about them wild indians.The only indians you know are the CLEVELAND Indians!....:cowboy:

greatgoogamooga
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
26. Do you have a survival knife?

Shore Do! And that's why the first 25 questions don't matter to me!

http://www.bubbablade.com/Bubba-Blade-7-inch-Penetrator-Tactical-Survival-Knife.htm

Goog (and his asbestos suit)

Ken
06-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Shore Do! And that's why the first 25 questions don't matter to me!

http://www.bubbablade.com/Bubba-Blade-7-inch-Penetrator-Tactical-Survival-Knife.htm

Goog (and his asbestos suit)

Awesome! Can you explain how you filter and purify water with a Bubba Blade 7 inch Penetrator Tactical Survival Knife? :lol:

Ken
06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
You all know that Goog is concocting a story now, right?

hunter63
06-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Doesn't that knife have still in the handle?

Rick
06-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I fixed the problem of the snappy cool survival knife. I stuck a Mora inside the handle. Problem solved.

Oddmott
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
10a - potentially more important than 10 - Are you familiar with the area's INEDIBLE plant life?

Ken
06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
10a - potentially more important than 10 - Are you familiar with the area's INEDIBLE plant life?

If I'm not certain it's edible, it's not.

Rick
06-25-2013, 11:36 AM
And of course 10b - Are you familiar with the area's wildlife that can eat you?

Oddmott
06-25-2013, 11:42 AM
If I'm not certain it's edible, it's not.

I get ya.

But - as i'm sure you're aware - in many parts of North America there are edibles and inedibles that look extremely alike. One can be "certain" and still be wrong.

I was "certain" Boston was winning the Cup, but I woke up this morning $50 poorer from 2 bets. :S

Ken
06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Nah. Certain means CERTAIN.

MaveRick
07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
If anyone wants to get away from society you don't have to run away to the wilderness, you can buy my house. Sure I have lots of neighbors and people that walk by the house but they aren't going to socialize, or even talk to you. I go for weeks without talking to anybody. If I go to the grocery store and use the electronic checkout, I don't talk to anybody. I can spend 2 hours at the bar and only say 3 words; Bud...Bud...Bud. That's just typical for this area.

The designated wilderness areas are owned by the federal government and squatting isn't allowed. Sure some people do squat in these areas but the feds kick them out whenever they catch them. In many ways I personally think living in one of these wilderness areas would be just as restricting as it is living in the city. I couldn't drill a well or install a septic system. I couldn't build a house or a barn. I couldn't fence off a pasture for livestock or plow up some land for a garden. I couldn't set up a solar array or windmill. This is the real reason I am looking to BUY some rural land well outside any city zoning. I am planning for long term survival by being self sufficient.

Sarge47
07-05-2013, 09:27 AM
If anyone wants to get away from society you don't have to run away to the wilderness, you can buy my house. Sure I have lots of neighbors and people that walk by the house but they aren't going to socialize, or even talk to you. I go for weeks without talking to anybody. If I go to the grocery store and use the electronic checkout, I don't talk to anybody. I can spend 2 hours at the bar and only say 3 words; Bud...Bud...Bud. That's just typical for this area.

The designated wilderness areas are owned by the federal government and squatting isn't allowed. Sure some people do squat in these areas but the feds kick them out whenever they catch them. In many ways I personally think living in one of these wilderness areas would be just as restricting as it is living in the city. I couldn't drill a well or install a septic system. I couldn't build a house or a barn. I couldn't fence off a pasture for livestock or plow up some land for a garden. I couldn't set up a solar array or windmill. This is the real reason I am looking to BUY some rural land well outside any city zoning. I am planning for long term survival by being self sufficient.

:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

adventurestrong
07-19-2013, 11:54 PM
It's strange to think someone would consider homesteading or living in a survival type situation without thinking through the real issues. Obviously, they haven't read Into the Wild either. haha Great list of questions.