PDA

View Full Version : BOB - What's Inside

SLVRBK
06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I did a "quick" search of what people have in their BOB that included pics but didn't find anything. I realize it is ever changing and bags are designed for different things.... mine is set up to get me to my cabin 100 miles from my house where my family can sustain.

Mine is set up to accommodate my family in the event we need to leave the house quickly. Some people think creating this type of bag is crazy but if you were on I-59 getting out of Houston during Hurricane Rita you would agree why having something like this is important. Feel free to add suggestions, ideas etc. And as always pics are welcome!

These are the items in mine:
1. (4) emergency food rations - 2,400 calories each
2. 150 yards of 30 pound braided fishing line (Power Pro)
3. Prescription bottle with hooks, lure and weights and a box of extra triple hooks
4. First aid kid (I would like to upgrade this to a "Dark Angel" medical kit)
5. Compass
6. Spoon, fork, knife
7. Mirror
8. Note pad and pen
9. Latex gloves
10. Breathing masks
11. Duct tape
12. Bio hazard garbage bag
13. A lot of folded tin foil (it is under the garbage bag in the pic)
14. Bungy cords, zip ties and 100ft. of para-cord (I would like to get the para-cord in camo)
15. Fire starting kit with lighter and magnesium fire stick (kit = cotton balls and bottle of oil)
16. Water purifying tablets
17. Glow sticks (because I like to party...... just kidding)
18. 2 Magpul .223 mags (30 rounds each)
19. Pocket shovel and hatchet
20. 2 .40cal Glock mags (15 rounds each)
21. Glock .22 .40cal
22. 2 knives (just ordered the Benchmade Nimravus which will be added to the bag)
23. Camp light (I also have a green kill light on my AR-15 and another LA-LED light that I would carry). Not shown is the green pen laser.
24. Survival blankets and ponchos
25. Wet wipes
26. Stag w/ green kill light, 2 point sling, micro red dot and 2 double attached mags
27. 5.11 Tactical "Rush MOAB 10" bag

Keep in mind, this bag is designed to get me 9261out of Houston to a safe location. I also have two cases of water and an extra large gas tank I would throw in the truck (where I have more survival items).

Ken
06-19-2013, 01:57 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?22436-Bug-Out-Bags-Hiking-Packs-Survival-Kits-What-are-they&p=394987#post394987

Ken
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?7813-Posting-Your-Introduction

hunter63
06-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

So how much does it weigh?
How are you gonna carry it?
Have you carried it?....How far?
Don't see any "carry water", or container, or something to boil it in, filter.....Just tabs?

Just a couple of comments.

Rick
06-19-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't see a map either. 100 miles is a good distance to dead reckon even when things look "normal". You'll need cash in small bills and any Rx meds too.

SLVRBK
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Good thoughts! Here are some answers:

1. It's around 20 - 25 pounds give or take
2. It has the ambidextrous strap but the thought was to just throw it in my truck and bolt. I also intend to load up my mountain bike in the truck in the event the roads are insane. Carrying it shouldn't be an issue.
3. Water would be loaded in my truck along with additional gas. However, the route I would take has water (lakes, rivers and ponds) nearly the entire way to my cabin. I've thought about adding a camelback type system.
4. I've been meaning to add a map but am pretty fluent with multiple routes to the cabin.
5. I've got a small stash of cash for just the occasion.

Any other ideas and suggestions are welcome too. Cheers from hotter than hell Texas......

Rick
06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
We all know multiple ways to where ever it is we're going. The problem is when none of those ways look familiar. A topo map can help move you forward even when your vehicle can't move. Hopefully, you'll never be faced with the scene below.

http://www.myowneyes.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_1832.jpg (http://www.myowneyes.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_1832.jpg)

hunter63
06-19-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't go anywhere with out water, or a bottle or pot to boil it.
Tabs are good but still need to have something to put it in.....just carrying it in a vehicle isn't gonna cut it if you have to bail out.
Might want to consider a filter straw, been adding them in my packs for a while now.

http://www.safezonellc.com/frontierstraw.html

BTW that's Ricks site.
I confess I have carried plastic water bottles mostly as of late, but the web belt on the pack has a GI canteen/cup/stove inside the cover....still the best compact unit I have ever seen or used.

pete lynch
06-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Might want to consider a filter straw, been adding them in my packs for a while now.

http://www.safezonellc.com/frontierstraw.html

BTW that's Ricks site.
I confess I have carried plastic water bottles mostly as of late, but the web belt on the pack has a GI canteen/cup/stove inside the cover....still the best compact unit I have ever seen or used.

+1 on the filter straw and and link: good place for supplies. I like the fold-able water containers you can get there also.

LowKey
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't see your important papers on that list...

welderguy
06-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I did a "quick" search of what people have in their BOB that included pics but didn't find anything. I realize it is ever changing and bags are designed for different things.... mine is set up to get me to my cabin 100 miles from my house where my family can sustain.

Mine is set up to accommodate my family in the event we need to leave the house quickly. Some people think creating this type of bag is crazy but if you were on I-59 getting out of Houston during Hurricane Rita you would agree why having something like this is important. Feel free to add suggestions, ideas etc. And as always pics are welcome!

These are the items in mine:
1. (4) emergency food rations - 2,400 calories each
2. 150 yards of 30 pound braided fishing line (Power Pro)
3. Prescription bottle with hooks, lure and weights and a box of extra triple hooks
4. First aid kid (I would like to upgrade this to a "Dark Angel" medical kit)
5. Compass
6. Spoon, fork, knife
7. Mirror
8. Note pad and pen
9. Latex gloves
10. Breathing masks
11. Duct tape
12. Bio hazard garbage bag
13. A lot of folded tin foil (it is under the garbage bag in the pic)
14. Bungy cords, zip ties and 100ft. of para-cord (I would like to get the para-cord in camo)
15. Fire starting kit with lighter and magnesium fire stick (kit = cotton balls and bottle of oil)
16. Water purifying tablets
17. Glow sticks (because I like to party...... just kidding)
18. 2 Magpul .223 mags (30 rounds each)
19. Pocket shovel and hatchet
20. 2 .40cal Glock mags (15 rounds each)
21. Glock .22 .40cal
22. 2 knives (just ordered the Benchmade Nimravus which will be added to the bag)
23. Camp light (I also have a green kill light on my AR-15 and another LA-LED light that I would carry). Not shown is the green pen laser.
24. Survival blankets and ponchos
25. Wet wipes
26. Stag w/ green kill light, 2 point sling, micro red dot and 2 double attached mags
27. 5.11 Tactical "Rush MOAB 10" bag

Keep in mind, this bag is designed to get me 9261out of Houston to a safe location. I also have two cases of water and an extra large gas tank I would throw in the truck (where I have more survival items).

I see you said this is set up for you and your family, How many days is this bag set up for ? 4 food rations isnt a lot even at 2400 cals. Things to consider for addition to your kit, A tarp , Water, more rations, important papers and copies of documents.
I set up a BOB for my son who is 7, he carries food rations, fire starter kit, multi tool, space blanket, water, a compass. and other misc items his kit weighs about 12 pounds with water. something to consider for the wife and kiddos.
Now for the big question, I see people talk about bug outs due to hurricanes, isn't there a lengthy warning that one is approaching? It isn't like a tornado that just hits with little warning. Wouldn't the smart and easy thing to do is load up and get out of dodge well before it becomes a nightmare ?

SLVRBK
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
You are correct, the bag is to only get me to my cabin which is approximately 100 miles from my house so it is designed to only cover a day or two. You are also correct about the hurricanes, I would opt to hunker down at the house until we lost power or water then make the move to the cabin. With that being said the truck would be loaded with extra gear; however, if the roads were anything like I-59 after Katrina or Rita with abandoned vehicles, burning vehicles, gas station lines a mile long etc. etc. and we needed to ditch the truck that is where this bag would come in. I may get another smaller bag for the kiddos so they can pull some weight too. Good idea by the way....

Rick
06-21-2013, 08:45 PM
The smaller bag for the kids is an excellent idea. It let's them feel they are helping the family. Even if you put their favorite blanket or toys in they will feel like they are helping out.

Sarge47
06-21-2013, 09:00 PM
The smaller bag for the kids is an excellent idea. It let's them feel they are helping the family. Even if you put their favorite blanket or toys in they will feel like they are helping out.

Rick packs his Teddy bear.....and his hong!....:w00t:

Rick
06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Actually, I make the wife tote my bear.

Wildthang
07-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Get a good canteen with the canteen pot and canvas carrying cover. If you have to leave the truck, you will need the water and you will also have pot to boil water in and cook in as well!