PDA

View Full Version : Ducks

backtobasics
05-27-2013, 01:19 PM
I did a lot of research on ducks and everyone said including a local woman that ducks will not eat your garden. So I got a few, not just for that reason tho. FYI they will eat your garden. I've so far lost 3 1/2 tomatoe plants and they always have food in there dish plus weeds outside the garden. They are Pekin ducks. I'm reluctant to put my other vegies out until I can fence the garden off.

oldtrap59
05-27-2013, 02:39 PM
btb. Over the years I have raised ducks, chickens, and geese. Have chickens now and never allow them in the garden till after the it's done for the season. I have been told by many that they won't bother garden plants but as with you I haven'y found that to be true. It's true that all of the above will graze grass and weeds but I have never been able to train them the difference between garden stock and weeds. Too them green is green.

Oldtrap

crashdive123
05-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Here is one, guaranteed way to get the ducks to leave your garden alone. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-duck/

backtobasics
05-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Well crash a few of them will end up on a plate. Each new adventure you learn from and make adjustments or just say its not worth it. I'll adjust.

edr730
06-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Geese are a god send for clearing weeds from raspberry plants. I've never liked weeding them. They like the berries once they start coming in so you have to fence them in then fence them out when the berries start. Some say they use them for weeding other things, but i don't know. You'd have to be pretty careful. Guineas seem to be the easiest fowl for the garden. They won't keep it weeded much, but won't eat the plants. They like the insects and garden pests.