PDA

View Full Version : Different bug out bag ideas

longautotech
05-26-2013, 12:39 PM
I have been putting my bags together but one question would be how big, I like the idea of a small back pack you can only fit about 2 days supplies in it but its light weight and easy to grab and won't take a lot of work to carry for any one. But if I go bigger to a 4-6 day pack with some more equipment it is more long term it becomes a little more bulky and would take a lot more effort and only people with the endurance would be able to manage it easily. It would weight about 50-75 pounds verses 25 but is it worth it.

bacpacker
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
It really all depends on what the bag is for. In my set up, I have a large butt pack with shoulder straps. I can carry enough for about 3 very sparce days. It's intended use is for get me home from work. It's about 35 miles and I expect to take 2 days+ to make the trip.

For a longer trip, bigger packs would be called for.

Ken
05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I have been putting my bags together but one question would be how big, I like the idea of a small back pack you can only fit about 2 days supplies in it but its light weight and easy to grab and won't take a lot of work to carry for any one. But if I go bigger to a 4-6 day pack with some more equipment it is more long term it becomes a little more bulky and would take a lot more effort and only people with the endurance would be able to manage it easily. It would weight about 50-75 pounds verses 25 but is it worth it.

How big? That's a question that only you can answer. It's kinda' like asking what size shoes you should buy. The proper size is what works for you.

We have lots of threads here that discuss bag size, contents, etc. Try using our search function.

You can start here: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?22436-Bug-Out-Bags-Hiking-Packs-Survival-Kits-What-are-they

hunter63
05-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I try not to get locked into a "one bag" situation......but rather prefer building on a complete system.....from pockets to pick up truck

One bag no matter how big is gonna satisfy every situation.

What is the purpose of your bug out?.....Who will be Bugging Out?...What level of experience and tolerance is to be expected?

crashdive123
05-26-2013, 03:50 PM
As others have said - you need to find out what works for you.

What are you most likely to bug out from (fire, flood, hurricane, meth lab, rail car derailment, etc)

Where are you most likely to but out to (woods, motel 6, relatives)

How long will you be bugged out (day, days, week, longer)

To answer those questions you really need to do a threat assessment. Potential threats to me might be totally different that to you. Here are some good links with some planning tools.

http://safezonellc.com/personalzone5_2.html

http://safezonellc.com/personalzone5_1.html

rezmut
05-26-2013, 04:31 PM
I figured I'd give you the answer that I came up with to the same problem-I have a Swissgear pack that has an open space that looks like it was made to stuff a coat into-I use it to hold my smaller bag(a mountainsmith shoulder bag)-works great for me.

Rick
05-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Think modular so that everything from your basic survival kit can be rolled into your final bug out bag. Whatever you use I agree with others it has to work for you and your family. A 75 pound pack would be strapped to the tank and would NEVER see my shoulders......ever.

longautotech
05-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Thank you for the advice , the kit would be for mainly until I could make sure my family is OK and meet up with them some where in event of major disaster in mine or their area, they are both around 450 miles away and a 75 pound pack would have 4-6 days worth of food 3 changes of clothing warm weather, coldwealther and moderate and every thing needed to to accomplish accessing them and provide food along the way for my self and others if necessary and also about 200 rounds of amunition for my main weapon. ,2 pots. Hatchet/tactical tomahawk ,knives cleaning kit, first aid kit/medic kit, sowing kit and sleeping bag. Water proof jacket and tarp. 80 ft of 3/8 rope. Fishing rod and gear.water 1.5gal and treatment pills and maps. A 25 lb kit is 3 days food 100rounds ammo clothes .5gal water, fishing gear, tactical tomahawk and maps and a pot.

Stairman
05-27-2013, 05:55 AM
IMO 75 lbs is way too heavy. I like muliple bags so things are easier to find. They can be all bungied and boltsnapped together and mine are designed for 3 days. Any longer and Ill need food. In winter I have my bulk layers, gloves etc in a separate pack that I take out in spring and add my summer bag with bugsuit, netting, repellents and snake gaitors. The other packs items are muti seasonal.

greatgoogamooga
05-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Thank you for the advice , the kit would be for mainly until I could make sure my family is OK and meet up with them some where in event of major disaster in mine or their area, they are both around 450 miles away and a 75 pound pack would have 4-6 days worth of food 3 changes of clothing warm weather, coldwealther and moderate and every thing needed to to accomplish accessing them and provide food along the way for my self and others if necessary and also about 200 rounds of amunition for my main weapon. ,2 pots. Hatchet/tactical tomahawk ,knives cleaning kit, first aid kit/medic kit, sowing kit and sleeping bag. Water proof jacket and tarp. 80 ft of 3/8 rope. Fishing rod and gear.water 1.5gal and treatment pills and maps. A 25 lb kit is 3 days food 100rounds ammo clothes .5gal water, fishing gear, tactical tomahawk and maps and a pot.

If they are 450 miles away, how will you get there? What terrain/environment will you be travelling through? Do you need all of that where you are going?

Goog

hunter63
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
How far have you hiked with a 75 pound pack?.....a quick turn around the neighborhood is a real eye opener....or ball buster.
Keep doint it till you see what you can carry.

I think I would get rid of what ever clothes you don need "at the time'....I have a go everywhere bag that stays packed mostly basics and clothes, but change it out with the seasons......it's heavy.....a BOB would have a spare socks and undies, wear one wash one.

aflineman
05-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I have about half that far to get home from work every week. I have a BOB at the trailer, and a smaller one in the car. The BOB from the trailer would also go in the car, if I had to make my way home. The BOB from the car is a nice Kelty pack that I have used for hiking and hunting before. I know how it carries. That being said, all would get severely paired down if I had to walk a large portion of the way.
Much of my stuff is things I use hiking and hunting, so I know how it will work. I have a mix of MREs, freeze dried, and canned stuff available, and have eaten all of it at one time or another, so I know what I like, and what agrees with me. Walking, most of the MREs would be stripped out, and mainly freez dried would be carried. A 30# to 35# pack is all I really want to carry, and that would include a good amount of water. I can go lighter in times of year whan I know water is readily available along my routes.
One thing to keep in mind on a 400+ (or any bug out route for that matter) is driving or walking the many different ways home. Accessible ways home for me vary with the season and weather. I have many bridges to cross, so knowing first hand ways around (not just from looking at a map) is a good thing. I try and take a a different way home a couple of times a month (especially during hunting season). Takes longer, but has been an eye opener a few times (Snow in July).

finallyME
05-28-2013, 12:13 PM

That is a LOT of stuff. The difference between a 2 day bag and a 6 day bag should be the amount of food carried......that's it. A days worth of food should be about a pound and a half.

Rick
05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
450 miles is less than 8 hours travel time unless it's all back roads. Even a major disaster such as a hurricane would put you pretty close by vehicle.

I would bet good money you won't make it in 6 days walking with a 75 pound pack even if it's flatland. Besides, unless you have the ability to communicate with them you have no assurance they will be there when you arrive no matter how long it takes. Buses began evacuating residents from New Orleans within hours of the 3rd landfall.

GreatUsername
05-28-2013, 03:34 PM

My feeling is that if it gets much bigger than 30, MAYBE 40 pounds of gear total if you're a big guy like me, you're going to see diminishing returns on effort put in. The idea of actually "bugging-out" requires mobility. If you want more than 30-40 lbs you're looking at taking a vehicle for mobility. If you plan on walking or biking, you've got to cut down a lot on weight. Remember that for most bug-out situations, a small bag with a gun, some food and first aid, a sleeping bag and a thick wad of cash is all you need, because most of the time you'll be going to Aunt Thema's house the next state over, or buying what you need once you get out of the disaster zone. Almost every disaster you ever encounter will not involve "running to the woods" (if you want to actually survive the disaster, that is). Look at the type of disasters you are likely to encounter where you'd actually try to "bug-out" : natural disasters where your hometown is no longer liveable, but you can find solace someplace else. Running to the woods really doesn't make sense for most disasters, because in any case where bugging out to civilization outside the disaster zone isn't an option, it would make more sense to bug-in-place than run off to the wilderness and starve or die of exposure.

Basically, bugging out is another term for "becoming a refugee in a way that is comfortable."

If you're looking at total societal breakdown or something, your two best options are to bug in place with a heavy set of supplies, food, weapons, and loyal friends and family to help you keep them, or to run off to some location outside the city, then bug in place there. Running around like Mad Max is a good way to get killed. The people who survived the Balkans Wars and other situations where there are no nearby places receiving refugees and no emergency services to take care of them were the people who consolidated supplies and security as fast as they could, dug in, laid low, and waiting things out in place. For this reason, remember that bug-out-bags are for natural disasters only, and plan accordingly.

longautotech
05-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Thankyou for the ideas I will probably consolidate it to 50#s . my thoughts were I wouldn't need to make it in 6 days that is just the pre packed food hunt and gather other food. But also in a bad situation 2-3 days of back roads and a 3 day hike would put me at home. Where my family members are located there ain't nowhere to bus them 75 pounds would also support more people if needed. And I would rather trade or dump stuff I don't need than need it and think, I was going to pack that but it was to much weight.

hunter63
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
My feeling is that if it gets much bigger than 30, MAYBE 40 pounds of gear total if you're a big guy like me, you're going to see diminishing returns on effort put in. The idea of actually "bugging-out" requires mobility. If you want more than 30-40 lbs you're looking at taking a vehicle for mobility. If you plan on walking or biking, you've got to cut down a lot on weight. Remember that for most bug-out situations, a small bag with a gun, some food and first aid, a sleeping bag and a thick wad of cash is all you need, because most of the time you'll be going to Aunt Thema's house the next state over, or buying what you need once you get out of the disaster zone. Almost every disaster you ever encounter will not involve "running to the woods" (if you want to actually survive the disaster, that is). Look at the type of disasters you are likely to encounter where you'd actually try to "bug-out" : natural disasters where your hometown is no longer liveable, but you can find solace someplace else. Running to the woods really doesn't make sense for most disasters, because in any case where bugging out to civilization outside the disaster zone isn't an option, it would make more sense to bug-in-place than run off to the wilderness and starve or die of exposure.

Basically, bugging out is another term for "becoming a refugee in a way that is comfortable."

If you're looking at total societal breakdown or something, your two best options are to bug in place with a heavy set of supplies, food, weapons, and loyal friends and family to help you keep them, or to run off to some location outside the city, then bug in place there. Running around like Mad Max is a good way to get killed. The people who survived the Balkans Wars and other situations where there are no nearby places receiving refugees and no emergency services to take care of them were the people who consolidated supplies and security as fast as they could, dug in, laid low, and waiting things out in place. For this reason, remember that bug-out-bags are for natural disasters only, and plan accordingly.

Great post....can't give ya rep...says I need to spread it around.

hunter63
05-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Thankyou for the ideas I will probably consolidate it to 50#s . my thoughts were I wouldn't need to make it in 6 days that is just the pre packed food hunt and gather other food. But also in a bad situation 2-3 days of back roads and a 3 day hike would put me at home. Where my family members are located there ain't nowhere to bus them 75 pounds would also support more people if needed. And I would rather trade or dump stuff I don't need than need it and think, I was going to pack that but it was to much weight.

What ever you decise to do....Maybe pack it all up and go for a hike.....This will give you an example of what to expect.

greatgoogamooga
05-28-2013, 04:15 PM

When thinking about what to carry, remember the rule of 3's. You can go 3 min without air, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. You should carry water, not food. Carry as much air as you want :)

Goog

Rick
05-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Where my family members are located there ain't nowhere to bus them

You missed the point on that one. The folks bused out of New Orleans wound up in Texas, Florida, Indiana, S. Carolina....you name it. There's plenty of places to bus your folks to.

Eric the Red
05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
This whole thing about "bugging out" with a b.o.b., has me both mildly confused and amused. Where is one bugging out from, bugging out to, and why? Now don't get me wrong, preparing for any emergency/disaster situation is very important. Having a good supply of basic survival necessities, (including stockpiled food and water) stored in backpacks, duffel bags, tote boxes, etc., in your home(more than one in the house, i.e., garage, den, hall closet, etc.), in the car/truck, and at your job/work place, is just basic good sense. As for "bugging out", (I prefer, "evacuating the red zone"), there's only three major natural disasters only certain areas of the U.S. are faced with that could require evacuation; Hurricane, Tornado, Earthquake. First, Hurricanes; are deadly, destructive, cause massive flooding. But, they move forward very slowly, and with satellite imaging, their path can be plotted very accurately. Advance warning can be as much as 2-3 days. Plenty of time to load up the car/truck with family and enough gear to get out. Go 100-125 miles from the eye of a big hurricane and it's just raining. No need to walk out with a heavy pack. Second, Tornadoes; are deadly, destructive, unpredictable direction. Not as much warning time as hurricanes, but there is tornado "season", and tornado "generating" weather. Still, advance warning can be several hours. Again, use the car/truck. Drive to safety; don't walk. Third, Earthquakes; are deadly, (actually, earthquakes don't kill people, large falling objects, like buildings and bridges, kill people), destructive,(remember buildings and bridges?), but, ABSOLUTELY, no advance warning. The upside is, the area of catastrophic damage is relatively small, with damage lessening going out from the epicenter. So, if your house didn't fall down, or wasn't damaged beyond safely remaining, stay put. If you are without electricity and /or water, you have your survival supplies right there. Of course, someone might say blizzards in the northern U.S. should be considered. Well, if you want to hike through 5 feet of snow, in a 50 mph wind, at -20 degrees, with a b.o.b. ... go for it. I suppose there might be an EXTREME scenario, where you would have to walk away from your house or vehicle, either by yourself or with wife and kids in tow, with nothing but what you can carry, but that would have to be the absolutely, positively last option. I have the impression, that most people identify "bugging out", with escaping a horde of crazy looters storming down their street carrying pitch forks and torches. That's what amuses me. As Ragnar Benson said in several of his books, "Never, ever, become a refugee. Stand tall, with your face to the wind." Enough said.

crashdive123
05-30-2013, 05:09 AM
While you might be slightly amused - and maybe the three potential threats is all you really face - not everybody has concluded the same threat assessment as you.

Here's what I mean.....

Everybody needs to do their own threat assessment - both natural and man made. What is of concern to me may not be of concern to you, and vise versa. Our life experiences help to form our opinions and influence the decisions we make. I am not one to subscribe to the "total collapse of civilization so we are moving to the woods" crowd. If that is a threat for some - then they should prepare for it. It does not affect me in the least. A close friend who is now a US citizen probably has different concerns regarding government overreach than I do. While I am concerned ----- he as a young child was taken from his home (Cambodia) with the rest of his family and forced to kneel in front of the military troops in his yard. He witnessed both of his parents being executed.

For me - weather related threats are a real consideration. Hurricanes are more of a threat than tornadoes although both are possible. Earthquakes are not on my "prep for list" but that doesn't mean they are not possible. Aside from the three that you mentioned there could be a host of other concerns - depending on your location and proximity to "stuff".

Things like power plants, chemical manufacturing, refineries, rail lines, the meth lab across the street, wild fires, terrorism, and the list goes on and on. We all must figure out what our largest threat is and prepare accordingly. Of course, many of the preparations we do for X will also cover Y.

As to bugging out ---- for me it is of short duration (hours, days, possibly weeks). Anything longer than that and I consider it relocating.

Rick
05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Crash is spot on in both the assessment and the types of problems you might face. Here's a post I made a few years ago with some possible threats you might not have considered.

I plan for a natural or man made disaster. I'll give you a list and the definitions because it's part of my overall family disaster plan:

Biological Threat: A biological attack is the deliberate release of germs or other biological substances that can make you sick. Many agents must be inhaled, enter through a cut in the skin or be eaten to make you sick. Some biological agents, such as anthrax, do not cause contagious diseases. Others, like the smallpox virus, can result in diseases you can catch from other people.

Chemical Threat: A chemical attack is the deliberate release of a toxic gas, liquid or solid that can poison people and the environment.

Dam Failure: A dam failure or levee breach is a catastrophic event characterized by the sudden, rapid, and uncontrolled release of impounded water.

Earthquakes: An earthquake is the sudden, rapid shaking of the Earth, caused by the breaking and shifting of subterranean rock.

Explosion: A release of mechanical, chemical or nuclear energy in a sudden and often violent manner with the generation of high temperature and usually with the release of gases.

Extreme Heat: An extended period of high temperatures often accompanied by high humidity.

Fire: A state, process or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame.

Flood: Refers to the overflowing of normally dry areas, often after heavy rains. Flood is usually applied to the overflow of a great body of water, as, for example, a river, although it may refer to any water that overflows an area.

Hazardous Material: Any substance or mixture of substances having properties capable of producing adverse effects on the health and safety or the environment of a human being.

Hurricane: A severe tropical storm that forms in the southern Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Influenza Pandemic: A pandemic is a global disease outbreak. An influenza pandemic occurs when a new influenza A virus emerges for which there is little or no known immunity in the human population and the virus begins to cause serious illness and then spreads easily person-to-person worldwide.

Landslide/Debris Flow: Landslides, also known as mudslides and debris flows, are the downward falling or sliding of a mass of soil, detritus or rock on or from a steep slope. They can be caused by a variety of factors including earthquakes, storms, and fires.

Nuclear Threat: An explosion with intense light and heat, a damaging pressure wave and widespread radioactive material that can contaminate the air, water and ground surfaces for miles around. An event typically recognized with an attack by a foreign power.

Nuclear Power Plant Emergency: An accident comprised by the release of radioactive material from the plant into the environment, usually characterized by a plume (cloud-like formation) of radioactive gases and particles. The major hazards to people in the vicinity of the plume are radiation exposure to the body from the cloud and particles deposited on the ground, inhalation of radioactive materials, and ingestion of radioactive materials.

There are two “emergency planning zones” in the event of an accident. One zone covers an area within a 10-mile radius of the plant, where it is possible that people could be harmed by direct radiation exposure. The second zone covers a broader area, usually up to a 50-mile radius from the plant, where radioactive materials could contaminate water supplies, food crops, and livestock.

Radiation Threat: A radiation threat, commonly referred to as a "dirty bomb" or radiological dispersion device (RDD)", is the use of common explosives to spread radioactive materials over a targeted area. It is not a nuclear blast. The force of the explosion and radioactive contamination will be more localized.

Terrorism: The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Thunderstorm: A transient storm of lightning and thunder, usually with rain and gusty winds, sometimes with hail or snow, produced by cumulonimbus clouds.

Tornado: A localized, violently destructive windstorm occurring over land, esp. in the Mid-West, and characterized by a long, funnel-shaped cloud extending toward the ground and made visible by condensation and debris.

Tsunami: Tsunamis, also known as seismic sea waves, are enormous waves caused by an underground disturbance such as an earthquake or volcanic eruption. They can move hundreds of miles per hour and hit land with waves topping 100 feet in height.

Volcano: A vent in the earth's crust through which lava, steam, ashes, etc., are expelled, either continuously or at irregular intervals.

Wildfire: Any large fire that spreads rapidly and is hard to extinguish.

Winter Storm or Extreme Cold: a severe winter condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and heavy blowing snow.

Each of these threats is identified, evaluated and ranked as part of my family's written response plan.

Jimin
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
You really need to create a plan for the likely disaster situations you are to face. It is human instinct to flee from disaster, but if you don't have a plan you are just gonna end up fleeing one disaster and ending up in another...

gunaroo
06-03-2013, 01:19 AM
It really all depends on what the bag is for. In my set up, I have a large butt pack with shoulder straps. I can carry enough for about 3 very sparce days. It's intended use is for get me home from work. It's about 35 miles and I expect to take 2 days+ to make the trip.

For a longer trip, bigger packs would be called for.

I have a 5.11 covrt 18 bag as a get home bag. I have done some endurance hikes before while I was in Europe, and one day we did 45 km, including 1km up, and 1km down the mountain over 13h. I think with flat terrain 35 miles is doable in one long day. I had my covrt 18 loaded with water, gummy bears for the fast-digesting sugars, a few fruits, dense bread and fatty sausage. When you really push it it is surprising what the human body can take.

M.Demetrius
11-18-2013, 09:26 AM
The modular idea is a good one.
In a total break down, a get out now bag/pack is an essential for everyone. Although I'd hate leaving my long term supplies if the house became indefensible, I guess it's better to survive with a few days' supplies than to die amongst plenty. Where and how far to go, when to come back, etc., becomes the next set of problems.

Communication with the outside world, knowing what the heck is going on in the big picture, that's the ugly variable I can't really figure out.

sjj
11-18-2013, 11:10 AM
edited.....

Rick
11-18-2013, 11:40 AM
+1. Had to give you some rep. Excellent post.

hunter63
11-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I'll add a plus+2 on that......Very wise and just practical.

Wildthang
11-20-2013, 06:29 PM
As a wise old hunter once told me, the more you know, the less you have to carry! A long distance BOB for covering a lot of ground should never weigh more than 30 pounds for a normal person. You just keep moving, drink enough to hold off dehydration, and eat only enough to keep your energy at a decent level.