PDA

View Full Version : How to Take a Cutting

Rick
03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Hardwood Cuttings: (gooseberry, curants, forsythia, roses, etc.)

Take cuttings in early autumn. Select a mature side shoot, about 12 inches (30 cm) long, and low on the plant. Pullt it from the stem so that the "heel" is left. Remove buds and leaves from the lower 4 inches (10 cm), dipthe heel in hormone powder(1), and plant the cutting firmly in a pot or trench. Keep well watered.

Softwood Cuttings: (carnations, geraniums, delphiniums, chrysanthemums, etc.)

Take cuttings in summer. Choose a young shoot up to 15 inches (12.5 cm) long according to the size of the plant. Cut off below a leaf joint. Trim off lower leaves and budds to leave 3 to 5 pairs of leave at the top. Dip the end in hormone powder(1) and plant in a pot or propagation box. Softwood cuttings need a damp, close atmosphere.

(1) Hormone powder speeds the rate of rooting, increases root number on the cuttings and, in many cases spells the difference between success and failure in rooting.

dilligaf2u2
03-26-2008, 03:25 AM
TDW planted cuttings from our grapes. If all goes well the back fence will give me enough for TDW and TGF to make some jelly this year or next.

Don

Scoobywan
06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
So part of the mother-in-law coming to live with us means we had to take some cuttings from the grape vine at her house. I've been trying to find decent info on how to get a start to actually take root, and the best I've found is this thread and the following site.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ho-37web.html

Are there any good tricks I should know or is it just a go with what that site tells and cross my fingers?

oldtrap59
06-27-2010, 06:09 PM
We have started fig trees and azalea plants using cuttings here. Fact is this is the first year the figs have put on fruit. Hope that next year we will get some blooms on the azalea plants. If we're really lucky at some point we'll find a source for some grape cuttings and get them going too.

oldtrap

LowKey
06-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Scooby, too much info on that site.
Try this one and scroll down to propagation.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1103.html

Do you know what kind of grape it is? Most do well from dormant cuttings but there are a few that need to be done when actively growing. All the ones I've ever done were done while dormant. Most grapes tend to bleed if cut when they are actively growing.

canid
06-28-2010, 07:36 AM
grapes are easy, they're just touch and go. if you want 5 cuttings to root and recover healthily, take 15-25 cuttings.

if some aren't as quick to root as others, they are not likely to thrive readily.

oldtrap59
06-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Grapes must be something like Azalea. I think we took about 50 cuttings and ended up with 8 or 10 good strong plants. Seems with the azalea the varity has something to do with how well they will root. That's our experience here anyway. Still looking forward to trying the grapes .. Thankyou canid for the tip. I be sure and get alot of cuttings when we try starting grapes.

oldtrap

your_comforting_company
06-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Excellent helpful info Rick. Can't give any more rep right now but I will be referring to this quite often as I incorporate more wild plants into my yard. THANKS!!

Rick
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I think the link Scoobywan posted is much better than anything I said but thanks.