PDA

View Full Version : How to Make Your Candles Last Longer

Rick
03-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Coat the outside of the candle with varnish. If you hold the candle by the wick you can even dip them in the can. The varnish forms a hard coat which will prevent the wax from running down the outside of the candle.

If that candle is a bit too large to fit into a holder don't whittle it down. Dip the first inch in very hot water for a minute or too. That will soften the wax allowing the candle to slide into the candle holder with a perfect fit!

FVR
03-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Doesn't the varnish burn off when it burns down?

Rick
03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
The candle burns down inside the varnish just a bit and the wax pools there rather than sliding down the side of the candle. The candle is forced to burn up more wax than it otherwise would causing it to last longer. The varnish will burn off but you've burned up a lot more wax in the process.

BraggSurvivor
03-23-2008, 08:15 PM
My wife does the same thing. She dips the candles in varnish then rolls them in sifted dry sand. Gives them a rustic look for the back decks.

Chicago Dan
03-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Now I really don't know what you all are using to "Varnish" with but the first thought I had was "toxic fumes".:eek:
From what I have read on the side of a can of wood Varnish I am sure this is something I do NOT want to give to the flame.
Maybe I'm talking out may @$$ here, please inform me if am.
I have been looking for a simple yet effective way to preserve candles(mostly from heat distortion and drying) and wood varnish just never crossed my mind.

nell67
03-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Watch the time. Tunneling occurs when a jar candle is lit for too long. Jar candles should be lit 1 hour for every inch of their thickness. For example, a jar candle t3-inches thick should remain lit no more than 3 hours. Otherwise, the wax on the sides gets higher than the middle, causing it to pool and bury the wick.
Trim the wick. The wick of a candle should be 1/4 of an inch when lit. Before lighting the candle, trim it to this length.
Stick candles in the fridge for a few minutes prior to lighting. It will burn more slowly. This trick can add hours of life to the candle. Don't leave the candles in for too long, as the cold temperature can crack many candles.

Avoid lighting it for long periods. Using candles for 2 to 3 hours maximum will extend the life of the candle.

Rick
03-24-2008, 07:29 AM
There are varnishes and paints specifically made for candles called, not surprisingly, candle varnish and candle paint.

Anything flammable added to a candle can create an unexpectedly high flame (sometimes a foot high!!) and/or increase the amount of soot making the candle unsafe.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Freezing, as Nell suggested, is another excellent way.

Chicago Dan
03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Whew!
Sorry I did'nt know a safe candle varnish product existed.
Mr. Rick do you have a www. at hand you can recommend so I can look into it myself, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a great idea and will hopefully solve some candle storage issues I have been dealing with.

Rick
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Dan - Try Hobby Lobby. I know they carry it.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/store/astate.cfm?hlstate=IL