PDA

View Full Version : Tanning

WildGoth
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
me and my dad are going to try and self butcher our deer next year does anyone have like a list or something that says what each part can be used for or how to perform it:D

Rick
03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Wildgoth - FVR and Beo offered some great advice in this thread:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1056&highlight=deer+butcher

FVR
03-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Scoop out the brains and freeze them, to use to tan your skin.

Antlers make great tools.

You have sinew aka leg tendons, lower part of leg. Cut out, just stick your knife in and run it up, turn it over, run it down. Pull of the skin, then set out in the sun to dry. Wala, you have sinew, just pull it apart and you can tie on arrowheads, back a bow, sew a shirt, sew a wound, etc.

The jaws make nice knife handles.

The thigh bones make great tools as does all the leg bones.

The hooves can be boiled down to make glue, as can parts of the hide.

The hooves can also be used as instruments.

If you boil the hooves, the black covering will pop off. Make that into glue, then you can pop the toes off. They make great necklaces, they look like big shark teeth, well if ya don't know what shark teeth look like.

You have back sinew, between the backstrap and the skin.

After you gut it, don't forget to reach up and cut out the tenderloins. Many forget this, hmmmmm........lost meat.

Don't forget, eat the liver and the heart. Just tastes good.

Ribs are usually thin and brittle when dry, have not found much to do with them. Maybe make a wind chime.

The front shoulder plate makes a great hawk blade protector. Just wrap a thong around it and tie it to your hawk blade.

crashdive123
03-22-2008, 09:57 PM
The front shoulder plate makes a great hawk blade protector. Just wrap a thong around it and tie it to your hawk blade.

Ahhh.....never mind......different type of thong......:D

Rick
03-22-2008, 09:59 PM
See how we are? I thought it but didn't post it........

BraggSurvivor
03-23-2008, 02:08 AM
And dont forget the genitalia. Moose penis makes a good hiking stick or fishing pole....

(stretched and sun dried of course)

flandersander
03-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Is it really that long? wow happy babe moose hehehe.

trax
03-25-2008, 04:55 PM
OK, if you smartazzes are done, I think WG was asking about the different cuts of meat, no? FVR's post certainly explained every other part of the deer, WG if it's the meat cuts your interested in, same as a cow basically, you can pick up a handbook or DVD on how to do all the cutting for best results. There is no way in hell I'm going to type all of what that would take. Get the guts out fast, especially if the weather is warm.

Now if you smartazzes aren't done, I'd like to point out the latest X--TREME HUNTING CHALLENGE. Contestants are to score for themselves one moose penis walking stick---without killing the moose first! Good luck, let me know how it works out for ya!

crashdive123
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Guess ya gotta get reeeeeeealy friendly with the moose. That wasn't smartazz was it?

FVR
03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Speaking of moose, were is WE?

trax
check with the moose, LOL.

BraggSurvivor
Everyone watching.....<Bragg running away like a sissy> :eek:

nell67
03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
FVR,WE is taking a break from the forum.

FVR
03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Well, if you email him, tell him I said "HEY!"