PDA

View Full Version : surrounded by cities

gufghur
04-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Hi all,

I found my way to this forum through a specific question I have. I posted this question already but got a friendly suggestion to introduce myself first, which is, I agree, a more well-mannered approach.
Living in a densily populated country in Europe -- Belgium to be precise -- with more buildings than plants and a thousandfold of square meters of road compared to surfacewater, my experience in survival techniques flirts with none at all. The only knowledge I can think of right now, is that I can distinguish about 10 edible wild weeds, a knowledge which I can not implement since I don't trust the quality of these plants here due to traffic and heavy industry.
I'm 46 years -- old and young at the same time -- have a wife and a great son of 4 and a half. The major reason we keep on living in the city, is that we do not want to own a car (in my case, already 24 years now!). The last 15 years I spent writing a novel, combined with al sorts of jobs, the last one being a private chauffeur for a CEO (hell yes; I have this thing against cars. but I do like to drive).
The acute reason why I joined this forum is, as I said a suestion I have. It has to do with my novel, wherein one of the characters gets severely burned while being in wild nature. I posted this question in: Home: Forum: Survival: Primitive Skills & Technology: and the titel is; "burnwounds: natural and/or primitive treatment".
But since i'm at it, I sense another, less acute reason for being here. This is shortly put that we, humans, are not only the species that make -- man, the maker -- but that we also are being made by doing so. And in this being made, we lose our connection with our own wildness, our own naturalness. And this together with all the wildness and naturalness on the planet. Could it be that this loss is a great tragedy? And that we need to stop it by living our nature instead of living how we are being made by our education, our upbringing, our institutions, ..., ...?
Deep question. Good that it's not acute. But my other question is, and any sincere help to make this particular situation of my novel more plaussible is very welcome. If my book gets published (its a debut) your name(s) might be mentioned it a tanks-section.

Greetings to all.

crashdive123
04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Hello and welcome.

For your first question - you may want to add more info as has been suggested in your thread Burnwounds so that more meaningful answers can be given. Since its your story - you have all of the details, and we're sort of in the dark.:confused:

As to your second question - many of us spend quite a bit of time in the wilderness. You should try it - it's good for the soul.

gufghur
04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I have the situation for the first question described in the thread "burnwounds" and am trying to climb the ladder towards plausibility with the feedback I'm receiving there. And for the second question; I've only recently become aware of the importance of experiencing wilderness for the soul, through the books of Bill Plotkin, which to me seem to be of immens importance.

welderguy
04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Howdy welcome aboard

crashdive123
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I have the situation for the first question described in the thread "burnwounds" and am trying to climb the ladder towards plausibility with the feedback I'm receiving there. And for the second question; I've only recently become aware of the importance of experiencing wilderness for the soul, through the books of Bill Plotkin, which to me seem to be of immens importance.

Trust me......if you get out and experience it yourself (some call it boots in the field) you will gain a much greater appreciation for it regardless of how good the author of the book is.

There was an old TV commercial in this country from the 60's that had a line that I think is appropriate.......Try it. You'll like it.

Wildthang
04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome, you are now official:smartass:

hunter63
04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.