PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Yard Treasures

riverkayaker
04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
I watched a video on making a backpack out of a wool blanket last night and the video maker used an old seat belt for the straps. Since I work at a scrap metal yard I was able to get my own out of a junked out car in less than a minute. I've grown up in the scrap yard and have found some cool stuff, and also seen some cool mechanic work be done with random junk found just lying around. Got me to thinking about things I could find in the scrap yard that would be good multipurpose camping/survival gear. Ideas?

Things we have in the yard:
Old cars and trucks
Washers
Driers
Refrigerators
Fencing
Insulated copper wire
All things metal

welderguy
04-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Lots of usable materials in a scrap yard !!

hunter63
04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Decide what you would need for gear, then go shopping....scrap yards and even bulk pick up day is a gold mine.

randyt
04-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh my, I can spend hours in a old fashioned scrap yard. Ya know one of those yards that has old scrap and few automobiles. Heck I cut a big boiler out of a courthouse a few years back. Took it to a recycling center and when I dumped it off, there was a big circular saw laying in the junk. I asked the fella about it, he said throw it on. They weigh the truck going in and going out so basically I'm traded my junk for some of their junk, LOL.

hunter63
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
LOL....that's why they took me off the garbage truck as a young man working for the city.....I was taking more stuff home than to the dump....
And when I used my flat bed dump truck to take restaurant 55 gal drums out to the land fill...they wouldn't let me stop at the drive-in for lunch...

Echo2
04-15-2013, 08:16 PM
There is a small scrap yard down from my shop....I call the toy store....:)

riverkayaker
04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Lots of usable materials in a scrap yard !!

Exactly, any examples for camping/survival supplies? The seatbelt works great as a strap for my military style duffle bag. Thinking of more uses.

Oh my, I can spend hours in a old fashioned scrap yard. Ya know one of those yards that has old scrap and few automobiles. Heck I cut a big boiler out of a courthouse a few years back. Took it to a recycling center and when I dumped it off, there was a big circular saw laying in the junk. I asked the fella about it, he said throw it on. They weigh the truck going in and going out so basically I'm traded my junk for some of their junk, LOL.

Just reminded me that I need to look for some saw blades to use for arrowheads.

I also recently read that George Thorogood used an old piece of copper for a slide. I have a nice brass one but I need to get on making my own out of copper.

Nothus
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Some years ago there was an early reality TV show, Junkyard Wars. 4 teams were pitted against each other in a scrap yard. They had to build some device for a race at the end of the show. Tools and various equipment provided by the show. I was incredible the things that were made.

riverkayaker
04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I loved that show.

coydog2
04-21-2013, 09:38 AM
You can use the lead for maken sinkers and bullets the ones from the wheel dose good for bullets and the soft lead for muzzle loader besides can use it with other alloys.

Durtyoleman
04-22-2013, 01:39 AM
The cables from the accelerator pedal to the carb work for strong snares. As do most of the wiring pulled from the harness. The steel itself can be refashioned into nearly anything. Coils from mini fridges can be refashioned into wort chillers for homebrewing or other similarly nefarious purposes. Mirror glass can be popped out for signalling purposes, lens covers for fire starters... a junkyard is a toy shop..lol As a metal fabricator I'd starve to death before I was able to leave. I have seen examples of people using refridgerators, Drums, Buckets, and trash tires for container gardening, all from trash. Saw a bum cooking on a steel grill from a vehical over a fire...ect. The material from seats could make sturdy carry bags, Ragtop material for shelter coverings or hammocks. Plastics can be remelted and reformed. Immagination ingenuity and time are your only limitations.
D.O.M.

D.O.M.

riverkayaker
04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks DOM! That's the kind of stuff I was looking for!

riverkayaker
04-22-2013, 10:37 PM
I recently saw a video using a store bout walking stick as a pole for a tarp tent and while walking around the yard I spotted a perfect piece of galvanized tin. I used a vice and hammer to roll one end up into a circle that will fit through a tent grommet, then wrapped the other end with paracord for a handle and a handy place to keep the extra cordage. It is hollow so very light and I can also drop some safety pins and other small things into the top for storage.

hunter63
04-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks DOM! That's the kind of stuff I was looking for!

First a need is identified, then the search to fill the need (normal? way) ...or in this case, "I found a whatever what can I use it for".

I find that the important thing is an open mind, and a mental list of those needs.....or a lot of storage space.

Most all my early garden tools were salvaged and repaired, on the cities "Pick up days"......or out in the country, "Dump day, Wed"

riverkayaker
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Started on this yesterday from a saw blade.

crashdive123
04-25-2013, 04:50 PM
You made a foot out of a sawblade? Now that's pretty handy. foot......handy.......I slay myself.:lol:

riverkayaker
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Ba dum CH!!