PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of various woodsplitters for the homestead

Oddmott
04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Hey All,

Looked through the various wood cutting/splitting threads and didn't see much information shared about all the different types of wood splitting options out there, or the whys & hows some may be better for the modern homesteader than others.

Considering most folks interested in homesteading are quite set on saving money, being physically active and harnessing nature's assets, it stands to reason that most are planning to heat, cook, cure, scald, evaporate, purify, etc with wood. And, if lucky enough, will have access to cutting and splitting that wood.

We cut and split both for home heating 1x 6400 sq ft - basement included - bungalo with a high efficiency furnace, 1x 1400sq ft 2 story townhouse with a fireplace, and an inefficient maple syrup evaporator. We mostly just clean up fresh deadfall and standing dead timber. Spruce, pine, cedar, tamarack, balsam are generally cut to 26" lengths for our syrup evaporator. Elm, oak, maple, poplar, birch and ash are cut to 14"-16" lengths for our homes' furnace and fireplace.

We cut about 35 cords of wood each year, using 15-19 for the houses and 8-10 for the syrup. The rest we usually sell to neighbours, cheap. Obviously we may need a splitter with different features than someone who only splits a few cord for a fireplace or box stove.

Please share your experiences & pros/cons with various splitters, to hopefully help others make easy & smart plans and purchases.

I'll start:

Currently we have my dad running a 15 ton gas splitter from Princess Auto, and my brother and I (both early 30s) swinging splitting mauls. We typically get all 35 cords split & piled in 3 weekends from late April to early May.

Pros:
- small gas splitter is strong enough to split any wood we've fed it
- more fuel efficient than PTO powered splitters, vehicle axle powered splitters, etc
- faster than most pto powered splitters
- allows for a LOT of work to be done without draining/hurting your body
- 26" splitting ability allows for numerous wood sizes, everything from small stoves to large outdoor furnaces
- Not dependent on electricity, great during power outages or remote splitting sites.

Cons:
- usually going to suffer some sort of mechanical failure every 3 yrs or so
- said repairs can be expensive in both $$ costs and work time lost
- 200cc engine & smaller hydraulics are maxed out by our demands
- Can overheat in warmer weather, hence why we get our wood all split in the cooler Spring.

Suggested Mods:
- Weld some "wings" on either side of the splitter to catch your chunks of wood to keep you from having to stoop to pick them all up. Significantly speeds up your work pace while at the same time saving your energy and back.

hunter63
04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Ya, know I have been lusting after a gas splitter for a long time.......then I go out and fire up the little 4 tom Harbor Freight electric splitter, do my work and put it away....it won't die.
So far it has split just about every thing I fed it, even though there have been a few that were the "No you don't" pieces.

You just need a long cord....LOL

I agree about the wings, I made do with a home made table the same height, was left over form another project.
Not sure about a vertical unit, seems like a lot of stooping over.

Oddmott
04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
You just need a long cord....LOL

I hear ya! How long a cord will sufficient current flow over? I know the cooler trailer for our pig roast last year could only have a 50ft cord or it wouldn't have sufficient power.

Cast-Iron
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Judging by the volumes of wood you cut and split annually, I don't know how many folks here could have much more experience than you have with splitting wood. However, I have noticed that since ethanol tainted fuel has been introduced, it has played havoc with small engines. Problems like the deterioration of gaskets and fuel lines, and the goop that can seperate out and block carburetor jets. Not to mention the added costs of the necessary fuel stabilizers. Any equipment will experience breakage from normal wear and tear. You have to accept and expect that as part of their operation. You don't have to accept the fuel related issues though. Obviously an electric powered splitter doesn't have carburetion, but if this isn't an option you might consider converting your gasoline engine to propane. Should burn much cleaner, allow for easy starts, and has no real shelf life issues for the fuel. You can also get more "mileage" from your engine lubricants by using propane versus gasoline.

Oddmott
04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Good suggestion Cast-Iron, thanks. Unfortunately, I can do just about anything with wood but have very little experience with mechanical items, beyond typical repairs and upkeep.

I wouldn't have the foggiest as to how to convert a petrol powered small engine over to propane power. Any DIY links you'd suggest?!

hunter63
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I hear ya! How long a cord will sufficient current flow over? I know the cooler trailer for our pig roast last year could only have a 50ft cord or it wouldn't have sufficient power.

I use it just outside my shed, and it's fed by 200ft of #10 30 amp circirt.
Not sure how many amps it pulls, but will dim the light on the shed on cold days.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/new%20album/DSCF0521.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/hunter63/media/new%20album/DSCF0521.jpg.html)

Put it in a old wagon to raise it up some......that's why I was asking about a vertical machine..

Cast-Iron
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I know there are much better sources here for this kind of modification than me, but I'll give it a shot until someone else chimes in. You might want to start by identifying the make and model of your engine. Then look to see if an aftermarket propane conversion kit is available for it. I'm assuming your splitter is stationary while you are using it, so a quick connect propane cylinder versus a frame mounted tank should work without any additional modifications. If you can't find an aftermarket solution, I would suggest you find a reputable small engine mechanic in your area and see if they could give you any hints or quote you a price for the conversion. Hope this helps!

crashdive123
04-15-2013, 04:48 PM
H

.....We cut and split both for home heating 1x 6400 sq ft - basement included - bungalo.......

Your definition of a bungalow differs from mine by about 5500 square feet.:whistling:

Oddmott
04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Your definition of a bungalow differs from mine by about 5500 square feet.:whistling:

It's actually a 32"x64" house with finished basement, with a 32"x24" factory kitchen attached on the main floor and a cabinetmaker's workshop in the basement.

It'll be in the family forever, as it's impossible to sell for a fair value. There's never been a similar house sell within 200kms, nothing to compare it to so we only get low-ball overs. lol

hunter63
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Used to hunt with a guy in Missouri...had a big colonial style house, that heated it with a duel system, wood and propane.
Wood burner took 6 ft logs 12 to 14" in diameter, even had a chain hoist and roller ramp for loading......problem was on not so cold days, had to keep windows open a bit.

No splitting at all, just chunk up to lengths and feed one in every 12 hours or so.

ElevenBravo
04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
just chunk up to lengths and feed one in every 12 hours or so.
Now THATS what I call a fireplace! HA HA!

EB

rebel
04-28-2013, 07:45 AM
I picked up a 22 ton log splitter that was on sale from tractor supply. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg%3B-22-ton-log-splitter-carb-compliant
No complaints so far.

RALPER
02-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Sledge hammer, wedge and maul.

sofasurfer
05-16-2014, 04:24 AM
How can you beat this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGH4XKNULU

crashdive123
05-16-2014, 05:30 AM
Looks fine for nice, straight grained wood.