PDA

View Full Version : Land Management

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-05-2013, 06:12 PM
I was having a look around at ideas to better manage my land. I stumbled across this video and at first it sounds like the typical global warning dissertation. I made it past the first few minutes and it began to make sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Ken
04-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I'll have to give that one some thought. Forty Thousand Elephants paid the price the last time he was wrong and experts backed him up.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-05-2013, 07:33 PM
I'll have to give that one some thought. Forty Thousand Elephants paid the price the last time he was wrong and experts backed him up.

No kidding, talk about admiting you were wrong on a large scale!

Ken
04-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Sometimes it works. After all, nobody who admitted such a big screw up would do it again if given a second chance, right?

Do you remember Mike Dukakis? I knew him fairly well. I knew his son and visited his home in 1973. I never voted for the man. He served his first term as Governor of Massachusetts from 1975 to 1979. He screwed up so badly that he was defeated in his bid for re-election IN THE PRIMARY by Ed King. Well, the Duke came back four years later in 1983 with major mea culpas, promising everyone that he wouldn't repeat his mistakes if he was returned to the governor's office. Massachusetts bought his story orf redemption hook, line, and sinker. The Duke was elected to TWO terms in office, from 1983 to 1991. He decided to run for president in 1988, the beginning of his second consecutive term, and pretty much ignored Massachusetts. After his defeat in the presidential race, he returned his attention to Massachusetts and the real Mike Dukakis came back to the surface. He raised taxes like his life depended on it, and he managed to turn the state into an absolute mess in his last two years in office.

Whenever somebody screws up on a monumental scale, I think of Mike. I never give incompetence a second chance to strike again.

greatgoogamooga
04-05-2013, 08:02 PM

I _think_ what Ken is saying is, he was wrong once and bet 40,000 elephants lives on it. What if he's wrong this time too? On the surface, what he's saying makes a lot of sense. I hope is it tested further and bears good fruit.

Goog

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I am not betting on the grand scale that the video portrays. The concept of rotating pastures is as old as the dirt. Some of his theory as to why it works made sense to me, helped me understand why it works. I didn't come up farming or raising livestock and it intrigues me, I use what I can when I find something useful. Mistakes are part of life, it is what you do with the lesson you learned from the mistake that makes one wiser.

finallyME
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I made it about half way. I will watch it later. But it reminds me of Joe Salatine. He proves what this guy is talking about. Do a youtube search for Joe Salatine.

finallyME
04-12-2013, 12:23 AM
I watched the rest of it, and it resembles a lot of what Joel Salatin has been doing for years. The biggest thing is "mimic nature". Salatin callls it Mobbing, Mowing, and Moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkIUcOB2vA&feature=share&list=UUPBnddaZJBrrBdsqG7D_WFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWYU5V8JOo

There is just so much out there on youtube about Joel.

finallyME
04-13-2013, 09:36 PM
CS, here is another very long video with the author you linked to. He goes a little more in depth in this one.

http://youtu.be/uEAFTsFH_x4

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks FM! This has been a valuble revelation for me to improve my property. It being spring it couldn't have come at a beter time.

finallyME
04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I think I read or heard somewhere that there is a theory that the Native Americans actually controlled the herds and crazing of the buffalo, and other large game. I will have to look for the source.