PDA

View Full Version : Central Indiana Wild Food Sources

RRude
03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Could anyone point me to a good on line reference of edible food sources in the wild of Central/Southern Indiana?
Thanks

Rick
03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
RRude - Pick up a copy of Edible Wild Plants of Easter/Central North America. It's a Peterson Field Guide and runs about $20.00. It lists hundreds of plants by season and in 14 different eco-systems. For example, it tells you what you will find in open fields in Spring, Summer and Fall. Borders or any of the big stores will have it.

While you're there, look for Edible Wild Plants - An Introduction to Familiar North American Species and Medicinal Plants - An introduction to Familiar Widespread Species. Both are laminated multi-fold cards that you can easily take to the field. Each runs about $6.00.

Welcome to the forum! Why don't you pick your way to the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. What outdoor hobbies you like, what you're interested in, whatever suits your fancy.

palerider
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
the easisest way is to look it up on line google wild edibles of indiana and the print out what you need from there for the feild use a poctet reference once again look up on computer maybe go to amazon and look for edible plant books...

Rick
03-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Pocket reference? Edible plant books? I sort of thought that's what I gave him. Since we're from the same slice of Heaven he'll do fine with those.

canid
03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
you might also check out Euell Gibbons' books. he had much experience in areas that share many of the same plants with you and he does an incredible job of illustrating the practicality and the overall experience of eating some of these plants, along with techniques for making them enjoyable, rather than just edible.

stalking the wild asparagus is a great one.

Rick
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Gibbons is good! We all should have his knowledge.