PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I've got a permit for that!

Sarge47
03-24-2013, 04:36 PM
And the jerks...er...knee-jerks...keep coming in:

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/20/2469526/man-mistaken-for-wielding-gun.html?storylink=fb

:no:

hunter63
03-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Good grief....

crashdive123
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
IMO you can't fault the police on that one. Based on the information they were given I think their response was appropriate.

nell67
03-24-2013, 05:10 PM
GEEZUZ,if they had shot the man,I bet you he WOULD have been holding an AR or an AK by the time the story hit the news.....

Sarge47
03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
IMO you can't fault the police on that one. Based on the information they were given I think their response was appropriate.

Perhaps, it's the public hysteria though, that bothers me.........:1:

nell67
03-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes crash based on what they were told,but God the man did not realize at the time just how crazy his actions were when the chopper was over him with the green lazer,it could have been so much worse than how it turned out,thank God the police did not have itchy fingers.

crashdive123
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM
I would imagine that since EBR's have been so demonized publicly - I'm sure that the capital of Washington State is no different - that those not accustomed to being around firearms see danger around every corner. Be it a sandwich chewed into the shape of a gun, a thumb and index finger or as in this case an umbrella many have been conditioned to be afraid. I agree that it is a sad state of affairs.

hunter63
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Used to be the police went out to a crime scene, not the news show the SWAT team goes out to everything....I guess they figure if they play it enough on the news, people will buy into the Banning of all these evil black rifles, and sandwiches, umbrellas .....Like I said Good grief!

Y'all know this is for show.....right?

welderguy
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Just goes to show some people are just idiots. How does an umbrella look anything like an AR or AK.

kyratshooter
03-24-2013, 07:12 PM
It does make me wonder about the armed drones with capability to detirmine it the target is armed, even in the dark, which the DHS is demanding are capable of telling an unbrella from an M60?

hunter63
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
If you rub mud all over your body, your heat image can't be seen....saw that in a Predator flick once.....
Of course you would look kinda weird...

Geek
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Seems to be an epidemic.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/north/12004091965211/man-s-umbrella-mistaken-for-rifle-at-burlington-mall/

intothenew
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Think of your camo as short term.

Heat will penetrate all of the discussed, how fast is the question.

The umbrella is certainly short term, a clay shield is likely longer.

In any of those scenarios, you'll eventually cook it to body heat.

Camo is temporary.

ElevenBravo
03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
http://ww2.roanoke.com//news/breaking/280095.html

We just went through this last summer...

Idiots surround us!

EB

Eastree
03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Seems to be an epidemic.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/north/12004091965211/man-s-umbrella-mistaken-for-rifle-at-burlington-mall/

For Cate, he can understand how at a distance his $27 umbrella could be mistaken for a sword, but not a rifle. But the more valuable lesson - he’ll be buying a new umbrella.

He's made out as the one in the wrong. "Someone mistook it for a gun?! I should get a different umbrella!"
What about, "People need to learn what an umbrella looks like. And who the heck would carry a sword around?!"

http://ww2.roanoke.com//news/breaking/280095.html

We just went through this last summer...

Idiots surround us!

EB

The Valley View Mall shopper who sparked Monday's mall evacuation and massive police search was holding a black object that "closely resembles the end of a rifle," Roanoke police said today as they released Macy's store security pictures. The article continues with no more mention of umbrella, but a lot (even an update) of never finding the supposed rifle. But early on, it's confirmed to have been an umbrella. If someone skips to the end, or just reads the update, they'll think some guy was wandering around with a rifle.

And again, the person who did nothing wrong (I consider panic something done wrong, and certainly not carrying an umbrella when rain is expected) is the one considered at fault.

Someone I know shared an opinion on open carry of a firearm (assumed legal open carry, of course) versus concealed. The person's opinion is that if someone is scared of a person carrying openly, they would be just as terrified if they knew someone was carrying concealed. There's just a general fear of anything "gun" these days. It's sad.

Yves
03-27-2013, 08:06 PM
How do you confuse the shape of an AK-47 and an M-16? Who teaches people history nowadays?

Eastree
03-27-2013, 09:33 PM
How do you confuse the shape of an AK-47 and an M-16? Who teaches people history nowadays?
Movies. Television.

I'm reading through a comic, out of curiosity. In one issue, the characters are picking out some guns, and one says something basically equating the size of the gun itself, with stopping power. Because, you know, a small gun always uses smaller bullets (in the case of the comic -- and yes, I'm aware but let me get to it -- handguns). It's just an example.

Basically, the one thing people turn to for knowledge is fiction.

Yves
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Movies. Television.

I'm reading through a comic, out of curiosity. In one issue, the characters are picking out some guns, and one says something basically equating the size of the gun itself, with stopping power. Because, you know, a small gun always uses smaller bullets (in the case of the comic -- and yes, I'm aware but let me get to it -- handguns). It's just an example.

Basically, the one thing people turn to for knowledge is fiction.

lol, I know. But while this can be excused when we're dealing with the average person, when you find a journalist naming anything that she feels like an AK because it's "scary", it makes me wonder :) . Are they really that ignorant, lazy or just flat out dishonest.

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1208/journalists-guide-firearms-ak47-brady-colorado-guns-laws-politics-1343922032.jpg

:)

welderguy
03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
lol, I know. But while this can be excused when we're dealing with the average person, when you find a journalist naming anything that she feels like an AK because it's "scary", it makes me wonder :) . Are they really that ignorant, lazy or just flat out dishonest YES!!.

:)

And I disagree the 5th one on the right is clearly an automatic UZI :jango:

Yves
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
And I disagree the 5th one on the right is clearly an automatic UZI :jango:

The entertainment industry turned the Uzi into this super-lethal murder machine. It was made for a purpose and when the IDF phased it out (and no one else was interested in adopting it or making derivatives), it was a sign that this weapon might not be so effective :) .

Rick
03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
A terrorist if ever I saw one. (I wonder how many of you don't have a clue who he is or what Broadway play it's from?)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq06x2IqaA1qk9xnho1_400.jpg

intothenew
03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Gene Kelly, Singin' in the Rain

crashdive123
03-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Yep. Big fan of Gene Kelly.

Sarge47
03-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Where's Donald O'Conner and Debbie Reynolds?...:detective: