PDA

View Full Version : planning

freshrebel
03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
hey people,
first:
i'm new at the forum. my excuses for my english but my motherlanguage is dutch.
second:
i want to live at the wilderness. just me and someone else at a deserted island for a year or something. but i got a few questions:
is this legal?
where can best start?(easy to start, not too much danger, easy to get food,...)i need some inspiration. i was thinking at the cook islands but isn't it dangerous there? I mean with pirates and stuff:rambo:. at the news i always hear about pirates in that area.
how can i take safety rules? like maybe a contact person or something

i hope you guys can help me, thankx at forward

crashdive123
03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Before you will receive any answers that are even close to useful, you may want to provide the following information....

age?
experience?
reason for wanting to do this?
do you have your partner yet - if so - their age and experience?
savings?
how are you going to get there?
passport?
physical condition?
what gear are you bringing?
how do you plan to eat?

The list could go on and on, but if you can provide answers to these basic questions then the answers you receive can be targeted to your specific situation.

hunter63
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_Islands

freshrebel
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
i knew my post was to short

my age now is 17 but i will first work a few years and then follow some courses so lets say 30-35.
as i said in my previous reaction i want a place to start and build up expirience so the courses i will follow are the only expirience i will have
i do not have a partner yet but i will not do this allone because i learned it will be easier with 2 persons.
what do you mean with savings?
i dont know how i'll get there, but first i have to know where i will go. i was planning to go to a deserted island so probably by boat.
i have a belgian passport if that is what you mean.
my physical condition is pretty good. i not much sick so i think i'm fine.
well my gear will basicly be a knife, something to make fire with(firesteel), some rope, a few rolls of ductape(i've seen by mythbusters it's very usefull and it's my first time so a bit of luxury is permited), some plastic, and a kettle to cook water.
actually i was planning to catch my own food. i was thinking of fish and some small animals that live there.

if there are more questions, fire:rambo: i would say.

freshrebel
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
hunter what do you mean with the link?

finallyME
03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
If you can find a deserted island, then yes, you can live there, no rules. There are no rules, because it is deserted, and no one else is there. Generally there is a reason for that.

My guess is that you will do a mandatory 2 year military service very soon. Wait until after that to start planning. I am guessing that your plans will change when you find your second person, especially when that leads to three people (one being really small).

hunter63
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
You said you wanted to think about the cook islands....this gives you an idea what the economy is like, language, government etc....all the stuff you will need to know to immigrate to a foreign country....Under control of New Zealand.

So to get to where ever you are gonna go, you may very well be trespassing on some ones land, island, etc....and will need to know what you are going to deal with.

I would suggest doing your research for a couple of years, as you won't know what you need, till you know where you are going.
Save your money, as you will need it for transportation, gear, etc.

I'm sure every young mans dream is to spend time in a deserted island scenario.....or living off the land in the far north.....I'd pick the island.

Good luck

freshrebel
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
but i'm not going to do military service. i'm a computer guy(or however you call it). but i'm going to do a course from the cody lundin school, the nothing survival. that's basicly surviving with nothing but clothing. that's where i'll get expirience and where i'll descide if wilderness survival is something for me. but now i like to think of it and plan it. now my life is flying over without i did something that i really wanted to do. i want a clear goal where i can go for.

freshrebel
03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
to hunter63: oh yeah i'll have to immigrate. i didn't thought about. can't i just go for vacation over there for a year?

i sure was planning to do some research but first i have to know for sure where i wants to go, and i think i also noticed why i doubt to go there. isn't it a pirate area?

hunter63
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I really don't know, not much local news for the Cook islands.

Have you thought about contacting the local government with any questions you might have concerning any area you might be interested in.
I sure they have a tourist director.

endurance
03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
With a 10-15 year time horizon, you can do this. If you say you want to do it this year, my response would be good luck.

Have you ever been sailing? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever spear fished? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever been hunting? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever been snorkeling? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever trapped small game? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever grown food in a garden? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever done emergency first aid? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever done emergency dentistry? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever gathered local vegetation for consumption? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever purified water without a manufactured filter? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever started a fire and maintained it through a night of rain? Might be a good skill to learn.
Have you ever forecast the weather by just looking at the clouds throughout the day? Might be a good skill to learn.

You have plenty of time. Most of these skills take a few weeks to get good at, but years to master. If your life depends on any of those skills, you need to have them mastered. Sometimes you can read a book to learn a skill, sometimes you can take a class, sometimes you can find a mentor, but ultimately, it take practice over and over, under various conditions, adding in various challenges, while leaving some margin for safety as you hone those skills. With 25+ years of back country experience, I still carry three ways to start a fire at minimum and some form of pre-made shelter material. Not that I don't have ways to live without, but I sure don't want my life depending on being perfect every single time.

Then you have the challenge of surrounding yourself with a huge body of water that you can't drink. How are you going to find fresh water? It might need to be a pretty significant island to have fresh water. Most atoll islands are not endowed with fresh water, thus, that's why they're not inhabited. Creating and securing fresh water from a marine environment is very time consumptive, regardless of methods used. You might spend 1/3 of the day securing water alone in some places. Is that what you're looking to do?

freshrebel
03-13-2013, 02:29 AM
hunter63 look at this website: www.icc-ccs.org/pira cy-reporting -centre/pro ne-areas-an d-warnings(remove spaces)
i looked for pirate areas and this is what i found. the first areas are pretty close to the cook islands. not?
contacting the governement might be a good idea but i doubt if they're going to tell the truth. it's not so good if you got pirates around your islands.

endurance i was probably going to learn a lot of the skills you listed but the rest might also be useful. with a few months of practicing for each skill i'll be fine. finally the best way to learn something is to do it.
water would be my biggest concern. but that's why i'll take a water boiler and some plastic. catch steam, let the steam condense and catch the fresh water in a cup or something.
1/3 of the day would not be a problem i guess. once my shelter is standing and if i can catch some fish at the other 2/3 of the day i'm fine i guess.

crashdive123
03-13-2013, 05:49 AM
Since you are 17 and not planning on the adventure for another 17 years it is merely day dreaming at this point. Good luck with that.

hunter63
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
hunter63 look at this website: www.icc-ccs.org/pira cy-reporting -centre/pro ne-areas-an d-warnings(remove spaces)
i looked for pirate areas and this is what i found. the first areas are pretty close to the cook islands. not?
contacting the governement might be a good idea but i doubt if they're going to tell the truth. it's not so good if you got pirates around your islands.

endurance i was probably going to learn a lot of the skills you listed but the rest might also be useful. with a few months of practicing for each skill i'll be fine. finally the best way to learn something is to do it.
water would be my biggest concern. but that's why i'll take a water boiler and some plastic. catch steam, let the steam condense and catch the fresh water in a cup or something.
1/3 of the day would not be a problem i guess. once my shelter is standing and if i can catch some fish at the other 2/3 of the day i'm fine i guess.

I tried the site, and got the 404 error......but seems y'all have got a fixation with these pirates.

So, in light of that, maybe sometime in the next 17 years, martial arts training may be in order?

Pirates want to make money, and if you don't have much of anything why would you be concerned?

freshrebel
03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
yeah that's right, i didn't thought about it that way.

but what about safety. is it safe to do this without safety measures?

hunter63
03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
yeah that's right, i didn't thought about it that way.

but what about safety. is it safe to do this without safety measures?

You are talking about having an "Adventure"......So by it very nature, you are inserting danger in your life, on purpose.
It is a planned event, so part of your planning involves preparing for any possibility you can think of.

A "survival situation" is an adventure or any event in your life, that goes terribly wrong....

Safety is staying home and talking about it.........

Might want to think about just starting slow and camping in your yard.

kyratshooter
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Young fellow, if what you were looking for existed we would all be living there.

Good luck with that!

Rick
03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Shoot. I already do. Tough on the UPS driver though.

http://sun-surfer.com/photos/2013/02/Island-House-Thousand-Islands-Canada.jpg

randyt
03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Plan your work and work your plan.

old2531
03-16-2013, 03:37 PM
rick there actualy was an island sorta like that it had i think 3 houses on it they had to go one state for their grocerys and another for their mail about 10 yrs ago the island sank into the river and everyone had to get off it

Rick
03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but it's still mine. If that river ever goes down I'm in like Flynn again.