PDA

View Full Version : BlackHawk Medical bag

welderguy
03-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Found a great deal on a blackhawk medical bag on ebay. So i ordered One . Anyone here have any experiance with the older blackhawk med bags.?

here is the link in case you want to check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261181322453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Echo2
03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Haven't used that one....but have been using this for a few months....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7957099900_9549ed57a7_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8040/7957099618_e755ba8e62_z.jpg

Winter
03-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I have experiance with their gear. I have a patrol pack I've used for 15 yrs. Trying to post a pic but for some reason I can't copy the photobucket link. I'm getting pissed off.

welderguy
03-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I have a couple roll outs like yours ECHO, i use them as modulars for air ways and Intubation, and another for I.V. I currently use an mert responder bag .

I usually just post the link Winter if I cant get the photo to load.

crashdive123
03-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I have experiance with their gear. I have a patrol pack I've used for 15 yrs. Trying to post a pic but for some reason I can't copy the photobucket link. I'm getting pissed off.

Vodka or Scotch?:whistling:

welderguy
03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Vodka or Scotch?:whistling:

Bourbon? :drunk:

Winter
03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Vodka, but even with coffee it ain't working.

crashdive123
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I thought I remembered you saying you were a Vodka man.

RandyRhoads
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I have a couple roll outs like yours ECHO, i use them as modulars for air ways and Intubation, and another for I.V. I currently use an mert responder bag .

I usually just post the link Winter if I cant get the photo to load.

Who do you plan on intubating...?

welderguy
03-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Who do you plan on intubating...?

Its not first option except in certain cases such as, anyone who can no longer effectively managing their own airway, or persons who have suffered a cardiac arrest , sever upper body and facial burn victims,etc... The list goes on. Why do you ask?

RandyRhoads
03-11-2013, 12:25 AM
No, I know what the purpose of tubing is.... but when would it ever be practical?
I intentionally left out intubation equipment out of my bag, because I went over all the scenarios in my head and really didn't see it ever being practical....

welderguy
03-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Just so you all are aware, I am fully trained and qualified to use the equipment I have. This is a personal ALS kit i am putting together because I like having my own gear, I have a issued ALS bag from CERT that is very fully stocked but it aint mine. The only thing I will not have is a narcotics bag in my kit. I also want a Better kit for my part time job as well, all they have is a J&J first aid kit an an AED.

welderguy
03-11-2013, 12:39 AM
No, I know what the purpose of tubing is.... but when would it ever be practical?
I intentionally left out intubation equipment out of my bag, because I went over all the scenarios in my head and really didn't see it ever being practical....

Misunderstood sorry. Its very common in sever trauma victims in MVA's , as well as heart attack cases that can lose conciseness at any time, a rule of thumb is if the patent has a potential of unconsciousness then intubate, sever head trauma can leave the victim in a violent state , I was taught RSI any combative patient. and if a patient is unconscious upon arrival its better to intubate ASAP before it becomes a difficult intubation. I have been trained in both Arizona and Texas and its pretty much the same way.

RandyRhoads
03-11-2013, 01:15 AM
You're still really misunderstanding. In what possible scenario would having RSI drugs, Laryngoscope, and many various ETTs and styletes be practical in your personal life.

I also have an ALS bag. But with things that I feel would be practical (IV start kits, catheters, NS,...)

I cannot picture ever needing tubing equipment.

I know when it is appropriate to tube... And here tubing a pt simply because they're combative is um...well....probablly illegal, and in my opinion kind of unprofessional ... Not that people don't...

Are you a medic, EMT, RN, or what?

welderguy
03-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Ok I will be using this bag as a back up to the kit i carry when in the field, as well as a ALS kit for the part time job.

here is a little bit of what was on the last hand out I got about Intubation

All patients with the following medical conditions should be intubated:
1. Patients who have suffered a cardiac arrest
2. Patients who have severe maxilla/facial trauma
3. Burns patients who have suffered burns to the upper airway
4. All severe cases of hypoxia in which the paramedic is unable to maintain adequate oxygenation through any other means (such as bagvalve mask ventilation and intermittent positive pressure ventilation (IPPV).
5. Persons with a traumatic or non-traumatic brain injury that become combative and are safer once sedated and intubated.
6. Drug overdoses, unresponsive to naloxone or flumazenil, such as GBH overdoses, in which the patient has intermittent periods of consciousness and complete unconsciousness.

I do and dont agree with some of this, I found that more experienced I got the less I intubated and just used a BVM. usually when or If I respond to something I usually do so the way i was told or it is written in my papers.
In all my years , I was a first responder in Arizona at 18 , became a EMT at 19 when I was in SAR , at 21 I became a deputy and upgraded to an EMT-I , when i moved to Texas 22 years ago I went to work for the prison system and certfied as a medic, re certified 8 years ago ( had to go thru all the training again) , And yes In non responsive or unconscious patients intubation is a option. in my years working in EMS I have intubated maybe 20 times , and RSI 4 .

The logic behind doing an RSI on a Combative patient is less or no risk of injury to ems, and no more injury to himself. Ive seen medics RSI when I didnt think it was nessecary, put i was a peeon at the time so I just shut up.

Currently what I do is SAR/CERT volunteer , and work part time for an executive protection firm that on out of country jobs or high risk there is a medic on each team , and a full ALS kit is required for that job.

RandyRhoads
03-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Ok I will be using this bag as a back up to the kit i carry when in the field, as well as a ALS kit for the part time job. .
I do and dont agree with some of this, I found that more experienced I got the less I intubated and just used a BVM. usualy when or If I respond to something I usually do so the way i was told or it is written in my papers. In all my years , I was a first responder in arizona at 18 , became a EMT at 19 when I was in SAR , at 21 I became a deputy and upgraded to an EMT-I , when i moved to texas 22 years ago I went to work for the prison system and certfied as a medic, re certified 8 years ago ( had to go thru all the training again) , And yes In non responsive or unconscious patients intubation is a option. in my years working in EMS I have intubated maybe 20 times , and RSI 4 .

The logic behind doing an RSI on a Combative patient is less or no risk of injury to ems, and no more injury to himself. Ive seen medics RSI when I didnt think it was nessecary, put i was a peeon at the time so I just shut up.

So you're just using your money for a kit you like better for on the job stuff? Will they really let you use medical equipment, especially ALS things, that you brought from home?
When you say "in the field" do you mean working, or like hiking/camping and such?

I thought about getting tubing stuff for my BOB, medical bag, but then I realized it wouldn't have a practical use. You can't legally use them unless you're on the job, and if I was far out enough and someone was F'ed up enough to need one, they are probablly too far out from definitive care for it to do any good. What would I do hike someone out while ventilating?

As far as tubing combative patients- Do you guys not carry any drugs to sedate them without commiting yourself to taking over their airway? Do you not have restraints? That's crazy that you guys are allowed to just go paralyze people, taking over their airway, just because they aren't the most cooperative person in the world. I know laws and protocols vary greatly, and especially in other states, but wow, remind me to be very polite to medics in other states haha:sweatingbullets:

welderguy
03-11-2013, 03:13 AM
Yes i am using my money for a kit I like better, the deal is If i use anything they will repalce it out of theres I had to have all my stuff ok'd by the med dir to make sure it met standards, The only thing I cant use of my own is narcotics, I have to carry there narc bag. when i say in the field I am meaning on the job.

I do carry the ALS bag I have when im out hunting with a group, accidents happen and in a case like that i would perform what ever life saving treatments are needed till other help arrives. If its me alone I dont carry my bag, if my son is with then I do cause well Im dad and I have the means and training to possible save his life so yeah thats a given.

Now when i say combative patient I am referring to a head trauma that has become combative, not a pised off drunk or a someone scared out of there minds and lashing out. so it is safer to use a quick acting RSI drug than a sedative that may or may not work.

welderguy
03-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Now if we get on the subject of the end of the world medical kits , well I have stuff Ill probable never use, and stuff I have no training for , but hey it was cheap and its amazing what you can get at a government auction. LOLOL

RandyRhoads
03-11-2013, 03:39 AM
That's cool they let you do that.

Misunderstanding on the combative part. That makes much more sense.

I'm curious on what ALS things you carry out with you. A few various sized catheters an a liter or two makes sense to me. But I can't see lugging around various ETTs, BVMs and stuff like that. I mean if it's like a family outing I can see tossing it in the car, but on a hunt or hike covering many many miles, i'm trying to pack light. Maybe a couple OPAs, a CAT, gauze, and IV gear.

welderguy
03-11-2013, 05:30 AM
The ALS kit I have now is set up as follows..

Optional items I can use but wont carry is a Cricothyrotomy kit. and a Intraosseous infusion kit.

Airway managment: need to add more but ,for now this covers my needs.
2. 7.0 ETT

2. 5.0 ETT

1 9.0 OPA

1 6.0 OPA

1 adult 1 pedi BVM and a v-vac suction unit

3 blades

1. mac 4

1. mac 3

1. miller 1

I.V set

2 18 ga cath

2 20 ga caths

2 full starter sets

1 normal saline 1000ml

1 lactated ringer 500ml

I also have decompression needles, bolin and hyfin chest seals, epipen, epipen jr, sam splints, c collar , kerlix, celox,