PDA

View Full Version : Rare Cold Steel SRK CarbonV Version on eBay

MCBushbaby
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Discontinued CarbonV Model SRK (http://cgi.ebay.com/Cold-Steel-SRK-Knife-Carbon-V-Steel-USA-Made-GUC_W0QQitemZ250226078482QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 50226078482) available on eBay. I haven't seen a carbon steel model on eBay since I bought my knife over a year ago so grab it if you ever wanted an SRK. This listing doesn't have the tactical sheath the comes with newer models, but it's still a good nylon one.

Those who don't know the back story to the discontinued carbon steel version:
Cold Steel CarbonV was legendary for its performance and edge-holding qualities. The carbon steel was produced at a domestic factory right here in the United States and was top quality. However some time ago there was a workers strike which lasted too long for Cold Steel so they outsourced stainless steel from China, hence the new AUS8 stainless models. AUS8 is still good steel but not even close to the CarbonV steel of yesteryear.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I purchased my carbon v about 5 months ago and I agree you would be hard pressed to find better quality . There are a few shops on the web that still sell the carbon v is where I purchased mine I'll have to look up the link later and post it . This is an awesome blade I love mine

Rick
03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
If you intend to bid on it you might want to let others know on here. No need for a bidding war amongst members.

RangerXanatos
03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
A CS SRK in Carbon V? That's pretty cheap for one so it makes me wonder if it really is Carbon V. And from what I understand, the Carbon V steel actually came from Camillus, they called it Carbon V so they wouldn't look as bad saying they got it from another knife company. When Camillus went out, CS couldn't get anymore of that metal so they switched to something else. On a side note, the tang of the SRK is blocky and not rounded, so there is more of a chance of the tang breaking in the handle than other models using the same steel. If I had a choice between a SRK or a BK-7 from Camillus using the same steel, I would always choose the BK-7 hands down everytime. Although at the price I'm looking at for the SRK, it is a steal!

MCBushbaby
03-20-2008, 02:44 PM
25 minutes left @ only $51. Retail is over $100 and this is the carbonV model. I think it'll make someone really happy

Chuck
03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
It went for 54 bucks someone got them a sleeper.

awfoxden
03-28-2008, 11:14 PM
i got mine off ebay for $30.00. some lady bought new from factory went to a weekend survival school and used it for 3 days. put it back in the box and the sold it used on ebay. it had several scratches on the black coating but had never been sharpened. after a little cleaning and a long time on the stone its got a great razor sharp edge. and yes i have a few bald spots on my arm to say its razor sharp. i've found it to be a great outdoor knife and very cariable in the field. i used it hunting this past fall and had no problem dressing out my deer with it and still was very sharp. good steel in this blade.

h8mtv
04-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I have been carrying a SRK camping and in the field for about 10 years now. I was really sad to see mfg move to Taiwan. I wanted a second SRK for backup so I called Cold Steel. I was suprised to hear they still had a bunch of 2nds available for about $40 shipped. It has a 2 on the pommel and the epoxy coating has a grey film look about it in a spot, but it is 100% functional.

lastboyscout
06-09-2008, 04:58 AM
A CS SRK in Carbon V? That's pretty cheap for one so it makes me wonder if it really is Carbon V. And from what I understand, the Carbon V steel actually came from Camillus, they called it Carbon V so they wouldn't look as bad saying they got it from another knife company. When Camillus went out, CS couldn't get anymore of that metal so they switched to something else. On a side note, the tang of the SRK is blocky and not rounded, so there is more of a chance of the tang breaking in the handle than other models using the same steel. If I had a choice between a SRK or a BK-7 from Camillus using the same steel, I would always choose the BK-7 hands down everytime. Although at the price I'm looking at for the SRK, it is a steal!

Camillus did make the Carbon V series of knifes for cold steel but they did not use the same steel in the Becker serios of blades. Nor are the Camillus becker knives tempored the same way as the Cold Steel knives.

The SRK new style sheath can be purchased from Cold Steels website.
If you can get a hold of the old Carbon V models as seconds they are great.

bladefrenzy
06-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Lastboyscout hit the nail on the head. Wanna know why "carbon 5" is so good. It's actually 1095. Just a little nickname given to it by CS. BTW just in case anybody didn't know. Ethan Becker has made it official with Kabar, so the Beckers are back! In Kabars 1095 too!

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 01:19 AM
If anyone is interested, my friend that has the knife shop has an SRK for around $50.00.

Gray Wolf
09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Is it the Carbon V Model SRK? It will have "Carbon V" stamped on the blade along with USA. If so, and it's NIB or 95%+ I'm very interested, just PM me.

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey GW, I PM'd you that info.

Gray Wolf
09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Got it, thanks.

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
No problem, hope he still has it. Have you ever seen the SRX? It's the same knife but with a polished blade. They made it in the early 80's and you could only get from their Special Projects catalog. I've only ever seen one at a gunshow and it was in real bad shape.

Gray Wolf
09-27-2008, 09:22 PM
No, what was the blade steel?

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Carbon V. The blade finish was the only difference.
I've got a bunch of CS knives they don't make anymore. Matter of fact, Frank has 2 Carbon V Master Hunters brand new.

Ameriborn
09-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Happen to have a Recon Scout? Thinking of piking one up soon and would like to know some input on it :)

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 10:18 PM
The SRK? They're still available but they're AUS8 stainless now.

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
DUH! Just re-read your post Ameriborn, I've got 2 Recon Scouts. One is an original, sterile and all. The other is about 5 years newer. CS now offers it in VG-1 San Mai III or SK-5. The latter is what they make the Bushman from. I think it's a great choice, it's not too big and has enough heft for serious chopping. I carried mine whenever I was in the big woods in New England. Built quite a few ground blinds with it and their Riflemans Hawk.

chiye tanka
09-27-2008, 11:38 PM

Ranger, you're right, before that Ontario Knives made the steel for them. That was back when they first came out and had the powder coating on the blades.

klkak
09-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Carbon V is a trademarked term by Cold Steel, and as such is not necessarily one particular kind of steel; rather, it describes whatever steel Cold Steel happens to be using, and there is an indication they do change steels from time to time. Carbon V performs roughly between 1095-ish and O-1-ish, in my opinion, and rusts like O-1 as well. I've heard rumors that Carbon V is O-1 (which I think is unlikely) or 1095. Numerous industry insiders insist it is 0170-6. Some spark tests done by a rec.knives reader seem to point the finger at 50100-B. Since 50100-B and 0170-6 are the same steel, this is likely the current Carbon V.
Taken from the following link
http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

50100-B / 0170-6C / Carbon V: main
This is one of the more common carbon steels in the cutlery industry, however it is rarely called by that name. Cold Steel calls it Carbon V, Camillus calls it 0170-6C, and Case calls it "chrome vanadium", W7 is tool steel with a similar composition.

Overview : This steel is one of the most common production grade cutlery steels, called different names by different manufacturers. It is basically a low alloy enhancement of 1095 designed to give deeper hardening, refine the grain and as well provide slight increases to wear resistance and corrosion resistance. The performance seen in production knives was significantly varied which is common with the more inexpensive blades.
Taken from the following link
http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/blade_materials.html

chiye tanka
11-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Hey folks, I received a CS Christmas catalog today. They have a small number of SRK's and Recon Tanto's in stock for $49.99 each. They are factory seconds, but they are made from carbon V.

tonester
11-23-2008, 04:26 AM
cool. im gonna see if i can get my hands on one!

Gray Wolf
11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
You need to be careful when buying factory seconds, find out why they're seconds, different lots may have different problems. Factory Seconds are not like items that are being sold as Refurbished. Refurbished items have been fixed then tested, then tested again by the QC dept. I would find it hard to believe that the SRK's and Recon Tanto's all have the same problem, whatever that may be.

chiye tanka
11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
The flaws with these seconds are cosmetic, GW.

Rick
11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Here you go:

http://www.coldsteel.com/secl.html

Gray Wolf
11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Here you go:

http://www.coldsteel.com/secl.html

Said nothing about seconds or what makes them seconds, and there were no CarbonV SRK's and Recon Tanto's. :confused: The SRK's and the Recon Tanto's would have been from at least 2 separate runs???

Ameriborn
11-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I got the Christmas catalog as well. I am thinkng about picking up a Bushman factory second. 3 for $30, I believe. That is the CTD price right there..

I will see if they hold up to a normal non-2nd bushman or not..

tonester
11-24-2008, 05:53 AM
why did coldsteel change the steel on the SRK from carbonV to AUS-8A? im always hearing that the carbonV was a really good steel.

chiye tanka
11-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Camilus was making the Carbon V knives for CS. When they went under is when they changed the steel. I don't know why, all their other knives that were in Carbon V are now in SK5. They only changed the SRK and Recon Tanto.

Rick
11-24-2008, 08:46 AM
I just posted so folks could take a look. I only saw the two items on there but perhaps they will post more a bit closer to Christmas. (shrug)

BK-72
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I love my Carbon SRK...

tonester
12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
im really thinking about getting one of the carbonV factory seconds, it says the reason they are seconds is cause they have a slight cosmetic flaw or slightly out of specification. what do you guys think? think it would be worth it?

tsitenha
12-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Tonester, what do you think? If your up for it go for it, product is good except for blemishes which you will put on anyways, so enjoy.

tonester
12-13-2008, 10:19 PM
i just purchased a factory 2nd srk. ill let you guys know how it is when it comes in.

tonester
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
my factory 2nd carbonV srk came in the other day. i really like it. the only flaws that i can see on the blade is a very little chip in the coating on the spine of the blade. im very happy with it. cold steel also sent me a free catalog, dvd, and one of their sharkie markers.

Leighman
12-20-2008, 06:03 PM
This past summer I saw a multitude of discontinued CS Carbon V knives (all NIB) at a local gun/knife show (Lexington, KY) and they were priced to sell (Carbon V SRK for $55 and Recon Tanto for $70 for example).

While far from "rare" they are much more desireable compared to a lot of CS's Japan/China made offerings but a little scouring on the part of the buyer can turn up some decent finds at decent prices.