PDA

View Full Version : Billie can

Stony
03-18-2008, 08:49 AM
who of you uses a billie can on the trail or in the bush?

Rick
03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Here's a link:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=980&highlight=hobo+stove

There are a number of threads on wood stoves. You can search for stoves or wood stoves.

tim
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
i use one:)

canid
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
i have one of those speckled enameled steel ones, 2 qt. with a handle for hanging and a lid. either my white gas stove or all my 2 service mess fits perfectly inside it.

Stony
03-18-2008, 09:51 PM
i make some every season out of coffee cans and baling wire.
sure are handy if one dosn't need to worry about denting and blackening.

flandersander
03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Is a billie can a stove? Honestly i'm clueless. We either call them stoves or pots. no confusion.

canid
03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
it's a can or thin walled pot, generaly taller than it is wide and usualy with a lid with a handle for lifting and hanging it from a fire.

flandersander
03-19-2008, 12:27 AM
So it is a pot?

dilligaf2u2
03-19-2008, 01:27 AM
You can go nuts trying to find the best set for your needs.

I have a small 3 cup bail pot, I got with my Zip Stove. I got a 12 qt, bail handled, blue speckled, bean pot from my brother for Christmas.

I use them both. The 12 qt works well for when TDW or TGF are camping with me. I can get buy easily with the small one when I am alone.

I have 5 or so pot sets and several pots I can take along. In the last year I have been trying to find the right kit for car camping and for in my pack.

The GSI Double Boiler Set is nice. A 2 cup and a 4 cup pot that nest together nicely. It has its uses but only if I am going ultra light or light and alone.

The MSR Stow Away Pots do not nest well. I have the 2, 4, 6 cup pots and the 2 and 6 cup pots will nest but the 4 cup is the odd one out. With them I do not need a bag to keep things together. This is a bonus for this set.

The Campmore Sierra 5 piece outback set is and has been my choice over the other sets. The set can be used to bake breads(the strainer from a grease put works as the spacer between the pots) and can be used as a Dutch oven for one or 2 people. The 3 cup pot and the strainer fit nicely in the 6 cup pot. A can get a lot of gear in the pots but it dose not have an attached handle. It comes with a pot grabber. The flat lids make this set ideal for cooking over coals.

I have a Coleman 6 person set with all the plates and bowls and such. I take this when TDW or TGF go camping with me. I have the bean pot and the set from my Zip Stove. The cook set from the old Coleman 502 stove and countless other pots and pans. I have a 9" Coleman fry pan and the flat 9" X 12" grill for frying. I have been thinking of trying the Coleman 7" fry pan. The lid off the bean pot would fit it and make it more useful then the 9" fry pan.

Don