PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Tea?

Old GI
03-06-2013, 09:40 AM
I just watched the 1954 version of the movie "Robinson Crusoe" starring Dan O'Herlihy. When he was ill, he put a hand-ground tobacco leaf into a liquid (water?) and drank it. Is there a therapeutic reason for doing thata or is it just early Hollywood? Side note: When I was quite young, I tried my first chew. The older boys told me to swallow the juice it would make me high. Oh, it did alright, about a foot above the commode.

hunter63
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Old remedy for worms in some animals.....NOT recommended.....
The "Story Hour" at the library, for 5 year olds was never the same when I brought a "borrowed" can of "snuess"........ and wasn't asked back.

GreatUsername
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
However, tobacco can be used as a poultice for some skin conditions and severe bruising. It does have medical benefits if used correctly. I sure wouldn't want to drink tobacco tea, I imagine that would be unpleasant.

randyt
03-06-2013, 07:42 PM
nicotine poisoning can kill, not sure what amounts.

WolfVanZandt
03-06-2013, 08:04 PM
You can develop a tolerance to tobacco juice but the process isn't pleasant. I knew quite a few welders off-shore who never spit - just swallowed it. Strangely, I could chew and swallow if (and only if) I was drinking Dr. Pepper at the time. Any other time, if just a little tobacco juice got to the back of my throat, it would make me gag. Swallowing it would make be both high (dizzy) and nauseous.