PDA

View Full Version : WHAT is "BUSH"

Sourdough
03-18-2008, 08:27 AM
What is "BUSH", no not that. People talk about Alaska Bush, Canadian Bush or African Bush, just what does Bush (in the context of rural) mean to you?

We have "Bush Towns" and "Bush Villages". Here Bush means different things to different people. Kind of like saying, "He's Rich" or "He's Strong".

If you live in the "BUSH" there is no "BUSH', as there is no water to a fish. Or what is, is......and what is not, is also. It is a Zen thing.

Beo
03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
The bush is a term used for rural, undeveloped land or country areas in many places, such as Australia, New Zealand, Sub-Saharan Africa, Canada, and Alaska. To me its the wilderness if I was going to use that term, I usually just say the wilds, wilderness, or forests and among the wilderness types I go out with being called "Woodsy" or a "Woodsmen" or having good "Woods Skills" is a big compliment. The Bush in Alaska as I know it is described as any community not "on the road system", making it accessible only by more elaborate transportation such as plane or by walking in, or canoe. Usage is similar in Canada; it is called la brousse, or colloquially le bois, in Canadian French.

Stony
03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
bush as such is any area gen. referred to as forest, savanna, brush land.....
living in the bush means livin in the forest, or on its edges.

Beo
03-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Stony, then if I live across the street from a say Yellowstone's Gates or any large forested park then I live on the edge of the bush?

Rick
03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Dictionary aside, it is what you want it to be. Whatever YOUR definition is makes it so to you. It's a Zen thing.

trax
03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I thought it was an addle-brained, spoiled rich middle-aged ex-stoner who used his Daddy's connections to avoid real military service and is now in charge of the most powerful nation on earth. Go figure! Learn something new every day.

The bush you're referring to? that's easy, that's where my heart is. :)

Chuck
03-18-2008, 12:35 PM
If can drive to the grocery store, live on a road, have mail service or have access to public utilities you aren't in the bush.

Rick
03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
If can drive to the grocery store, live on a road, have mail service or have access to public utilities you aren't in the bush.

You AK folks are so dramatic. Sheeesh. We've got a park right down the road by the grocery store in between the post office and power sub-station. That's pretty "in the bush" to me.

tim
03-18-2008, 01:39 PM
What is "BUSH", no not that. People talk about Alaska Bush, Canadian Bush or African Bush, just what does Bush (in the context of rural) mean to you?

We have "Bush Towns" and "Bush Villages". Here Bush means different things to different people. Kind of like saying, "He's Rich" or "He's Strong".

If you live in the "BUSH" there is no "BUSH', as there is no water to a fish. Or what is, is......and what is not, is also. It is a Zen thing.

a bush is a large leafy plant.SIR

Chuck
03-18-2008, 01:42 PM
You AK folks are so dramatic. Sheeesh. We've got a park right down the road by the grocery store in between the post office and power sub-station. That's pretty "in the bush" to me.

Can't help it I'm a bush snob.

Rick
03-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Chuck - I love it. Bush snob is bound to be the latest "in term".;)

MCBushbaby
03-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Bush to me means undeveloped wilderness. If I see a logging road on my "bush journey", it immediately becomes a state or national park. If I go days without seeing any human impact, it's bush. Hinterland, backcountry, etc.

tsitenha
03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
"Usage is similar in Canada; it is called la brousse, or colloquially le bois, in Canadian French."

Bush = la brousse: thick, hard to navigate, tangle foot riddled, good place to find a creek or river and canoe through
forest= le bois/forest: much more pleasant to walk through, harder to hide in

In either case = home

Ridge Wolf
03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Bush is a four letter word... 'nuff said'.